Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecones3 View Post
    data on (3g/2g as available, although turning it off showed little improvement)
    That's weird. It should be a very noticable improvement.
    My GF has her Pre3 going for half a week - because she hardly ever switches 3G on.

I recommend installing the "Data in Device Menu" patch. Makes it very easy and quick to switch 2G/3G data on/off. Use wifi rather than 3G whenever possible.

-- Charging with cable, haven't done conclusive testing yet but Touchstone runs hot and battery tends to suffer.
    Sure it gets warm - but I have been charging my Pre with TS for 2 years and now the Pre3 for several weeks - not a problem (well Pre battery was down to 60% health after 2 years - but that's to be expected for a Li-Ion battery).
    I *never* charge via cable.

What am I missing?
    3G is the biggest power drain.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I'm getting 1-1.5 days generally.

My GF gets up to 5 days - but she has data off almost all the time.

3G data is key to battery life (assuming no runaway background apps etc...).
    It's the biggest power drain.

Use wifi rather than 3G as much as possible.

Get "Data in Device menu" patch and quickly switch data (i.e. 2G/3G connection) on/off as needed.

3G power drain also depends on the quality of your reception. If you are in a badly covered (or well shielded ;-) ) area - the radio will raise power to try to keep connected. All the more reason to switch it off when not needed anyway.
    Its a good tip tholap. Considering I am using a 900mhz phone in a 850mhz world especially, my 3G antenna has to work double time to keep me connected on just 1900mhz. I do have the patch installed and do intend to use it. I am keeping data ON for these tests because that is what the default benchmark takes into account.

Also an update -- installed some patches with EasyInstall (due to bad reception and no wifi at work to use preware) and it looks like my drain is holding steady at 3%, or a solid increase of 50% more per hour. I am just gonna let it keep idling, hopefully the average will come down a little bit, but first reactions (after 40 minutes) aren't great.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
  3.    #23  
    Almost a day after the doctor, and I want to say that battery life has somewhat improved. During the same period of time and generally the same type of heavy use (little under an hour of texting, 3G web browsing, maybe some pandora) that before would strand me with 30% drop, now has an impact of 20-25%. The idle drain rate is also a tad lower (by about 1%/hr) than before.

I guess I can accept the fact that I am a slave to the power cable now. Doesn't bother me M-F since I am on a PC all day anyway. My first weekend with the Pre starts tomorrow. We shall see how that goes.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
    @tholap: WiFi on and 3G off? How does that help? I don't have a Pre 3 yet, but I know from several Android-phones (2 I had, 1 my mum has) that WiFi drains the battery more than 3G.

@orangecones3: Name one other phone with a comparable battery-MAh and then we'll talk about if it's much or not.
    Bigger battery life means bigger amount MAh (unless the software itself is really lightweight, for example on a Motorola Razr or cheap-*** phone).
    I guess I can accept the fact that I am a slave to the power cable now. Doesn't bother me M-F since I am on a PC all day anyway. My first weekend with the Pre starts tomorrow. We shall see how that goes.
    I'd strongly recommend getting a touchstone. If you're at your computer all day, having the Pre 3 on a touchstone next to you gives you charging AND Exhibition mode. And you'll love that.

And Mugen should be releasing more batteries soon.

And on the weekends I set my email to minimum, and it helps a lot.

And remember, if you had a Galaxy S2, or an HTC Sensation or any one of a number of Android phones or even the iPhone 4S, you'd be struggling with the same issue we all struggle with, getting maximum battery life out of a modern smartphone that does everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @tholap: WiFi on and 3G off? How does that help? I don't have a Pre 3 yet, but I know from several Android-phones (2 I had, 1 my mum has) that WiFi drains the battery more than 3G.
    I can tell you from my experience with several webOS devices (since June 2009), wifi vs. 3G is a MAJOR improvement on these phones. I don't know all of the technical reasons (I have several general assuptions), but I can last almost 2 days on wifi with a Pre 3....it only lasts a day or less without wifi.

Keep in mind the following:

-3G isn't consistent & can vary even in different spots in a home/office. This causes the phone to work harder.
    -3G is slower, so loading the same page or app takes longer, and thus (I assume) would use more power in doing so.

I have to assume my phones work harder when on 3G, they are most certainly generating more heat. Pandora, on wifi, will hold steady on my Pre 3 at around 35-37 degrees. Put the radio on for 3G, turn wifi off. 38-41 degrees.

Anyway, anecdotal evidence on my part, but I've been using this OS since it was available to consumers, on just about every piece of hardware they produced. Wifi has always greatly improved battery performance. For what it's worth.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I'd strongly recommend getting a touchstone. If you're at your computer all day, having the Pre 3 on a touchstone next to you gives you charging AND Exhibition mode. And you'll love that.

Couldn't agree with this more. Touchstones can be found cheaply, and I'm sure there are some members here who have moved on that might be willing to part with their used ones (not me...hah).

When I was using the Veer, I basically only used it as a hotspot & phone. I'd place it on the touchstone at my desk & then tether the TouchPad for everything else. I'd turn all notifications of all types off on the Veer, then toggle them back on when on-the-go.

The Pre 3, this has kind of changed. I rather like the screen size, so I find I'm using it significantly more than my Veer. Anyway...TMI I'm sure....Get a Touchstone!!!
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    I'm reiterating lots of points made already really, but I thought I would to add weight to those points.

My observations:

-3G burns waaaaay more than anything else. Wifi is much more battery friendly.
    -3G in marginal 3G coverage burns waaaaay more than 3G in good coverage
    -the same goes for wifi
    -Idle, wifi and 3G off and no silly apps running (i.e. just acting as a phone), drain should be under 1% per hour, I usually get around .6-.7
    -Max drain is usually when I'm streaming NFL gamepass over 3G. Thats over 20% per hour (22-27 ish)
    -Power has ceased to be an issue since I started carrying around a microusb cable (I work all over the place, but always on my laptop). A touchstone in the office or a car charger during the commute are the obvious other options. I find a full charge will get you through medium usage during a long day at work followed by a night out (3G off when not using it), but it helps piece of mind to not be at 10% battery by the time you are home.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanggaw View Post
    Install JStop and enable auto GC. It helped a lot with my battery life.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I never tried this before. Now I have, I get a GC note every 10 mins or so, even when idle. I know I can disable the notifications, but isn't it worrying that GC keeps cleaning up? Does that not mean there's some memory leak going on, or is it just that GC has a look periodically when the phone is idle?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12