1.    #1  
    I am about to fling my Pre3 across the room and revert back to my old faithful Pre. There are two issues - one mildly annoying, one a show stopper.

The mildly annoying is the habit of the device when in a web site to suddenly, without warning, show the rotating progress icon thingy then do a full page reload. I didn't ask for a full page reload, I didn't want a full page reload, and my Pre2 didn't have a fetish for full page records. Am also irritated by the skipping of music when you're doing other things - again, something that the Pre2 handled fine.

But the show stopper for me is the inexplicable death of all audio. Randomly it seems as if the entire audio subsystem dies and a reboot is needed to get it back. However, music still works which means the only way to notice it is to receive or make a call. If you are alert enough you'll notice that dialling a number doesn't produce tones for each number. If you're not alert enough or it's an incoming call expect not to hear your caller.

Searching around the forums, I find that the TP most commonly has this issue but little about it on the Pre3 - which gives me hope it's just me. I've tried Pulseaudio Restarter - no joy.

Pre-empting "visit to the doctor" suggestions - I know that's the default position of last resort, but to be quite frank if that's my only option I'd be more likely to just pull the Pre2 again...

edit: just seen this thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-3/305982-no-sound.html

not sure if mods think a merge is in order, as my second issue would seem to be the same. However, I would submit that this isn't the old headset bug in another form, as mine seems to happen randomly with or without headset involvement - and a reboot sorts it out.
    Last edited by Loccy; 11/09/2011 at 01:24 AM.
    well i'm on parallel Pre2 and Pre3 (secomdary) use right now and although i like the big screen and skype text and build quality of Pre3, the TMC and the page reloading, other memory issues, lesser apps are holding me back from using it as primary device.
    I know uberkernel fixes TMC, but then other problems arrise as i read in the threads (reboot needed often). So far the Pre2 is fast enough (stock kernel) and now having enyo i have a way of getting future apps like the upcoming DataJog to the Pre2. I would never go back to Pre- from Pre3, but for Me Pre2 is the device atm.
    I hear you! My major gripes are that tapping the center of gesture area will make the lightbar flash, but the card won't minimize. Two or three taps, and it suddenly registers. And sometimes it just lagged, so the card maximizes again.

Also, the phone feels much more sluggish than my Pre2 at 1.1GHz with Screen State governor. Hopefully the soon public Pre3 1.9GHz screenstate will fix that.

Font size on websites! Often text is mush smaller and harder to read on the Pre3. What's up with that?

I like the keyboard and camera better on the Pre3, but everything else I liked better on my Pre2. I've even got just 1/3 the memory to play with, since I have the EU Pre3 with 8GB.
    for your sound prob, just search for the 'ghastly headset' thread and app. This way you can see in which mode it is in before and after restart. This problem does not need headset being used, it's often just dust and sadly this happens on all webos devices.
    oh yeah forgot that +1 on finally usable cam, but also here with much less user diskspace on EU pre3 ontop of the lesser system memory (or worse mem management)
    Font size on websites drives me nuts too. I tried to create a patch for it but it had the side effect of breaking most website layouts. So I never released it. Seems like we're stuck with browsing sites mostly in landscape view, at least then the text is somewhat readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post

The mildly annoying is the habit of the device when in a web site to suddenly, without warning, show the rotating progress icon thingy then do a full page reload. I didn't ask for a full page reload, I didn't want a full page reload, and my Pre2 didn't have a fetish for full page records. Am also irritated by the skipping of music when you're doing other things - again, something that the Pre2 handled fine.

As far as I remember, TP has the same annoying Enoy structure as the Pre3, thus concluding that I could shed some light on the aforementioned issue. If the rotating thing is a bit big, then this is an indication that you had a crash and Linux signaled the libWebKitLuna.so out ...

The first time I saw this is in webOS 3.x, I don't have a Pre3, so I cannot judge if that really is the issue. Basically, the core difference between webOS 2.1.x and webOS 3.x is that the latter introduced a separate libWebKitLuna.so instance for every running application; therefore, when it crash, it crashes alone. Previously, the whole system would do a Luna restart.

You can make sure by doing the following, as soon as you have this behaviour, go to "/var/log/rdxd/pending" and download all the files in that folder to your PC. You can go through them all by unzipping them and reading the minicore.txt ... See which one has the approximate timestamp of the behavior.

Just my 2cents!
  8.    #8  
    Actually, web site font size was one of the things I was able to fix, now I come to think of it. Search around the forums in the (I think) Pixi boards. Somewhere in there there are details of tweaking various font sizes in the webkit rendering engine. Change them to match the Pre2 and you're good to go.

Sorry, can't be any more specific as it was one of the things I did with the device when I first got it.
    Actually, web site font size was one of the things I was able to fix, now I come to think of it. Search around the forums in the (I think) Pixi boards. Somewhere in there there are details of tweaking various font sizes in the webkit rendering engine. Change them to match the Pre2 and you're good to go.

Sorry, can't be any more specific as it was one of the things I did with the device when I first got it.
    Thanks, I found some settings that helped a little bit, but it's still not ideal. I'll submit a patch to Preware soon. Unfortunately, if you adjust the text size to be too large, it's starts breaking website layouts.
    Off topic, but this thread brought it up.. I made a patch for the browser font size:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-16-pre3.html

It'll be in preware whenever webOS internals gets around to approving it.
    I don't have any issues with my at&3 Pre 3 but I would like the patch for the bigger browser font
    Some websites do force automatic reloads through javascript on a timer... ie. foxnews. That was also a problem for me, so I disabled javascript and flash (I don't really need flash on the go). No more reloads. It would be cool if someone could make a patch to prevent those reloads with javascript active, if possible. I know the browser on the Nokia 5800 I was using prior to the Pre 3 had the option to block those automatic reloads with javascript enabled.

But the show stopper for me is the inexplicable death of all audio. Randomly it seems as if the entire audio subsystem dies and a reboot is needed to get it back. However, music still works which means the only way to notice it is to receive or make a call. If you are alert enough you'll notice that dialling a number doesn't produce tones for each number. If you're not alert enough or it's an incoming call expect not to hear your caller.
    That happened to me on my first day with the Pre 3... suddenly there was no sound, no on-screen volume controls, no vibrate, no audio of any kind at all, period. Freaked out! I thought the hardware was bad... I rebooted to no effect. Then I started uninstalling patches... which also had no effect and finally uninstalled Uberkernel, rebooted yet again and finally got the audio back. I realized that for me the issue is 100% related to using my primary bluetooth headset which is a brand new Plantronics Voyager Pro HD. I also have three other Plantronics Voyager Pros (not the HD model)... all paired to the Pre 3 and my Touchpad. I noticed something interesting which was the the older Voyager Pros show up in the bluetooth pairing list as mono bluetooth single-ear headsets whereas the Voyager Pro HD shows up as a set of stereo headphones. I have lost the audio on the Pre 3 either after freshly turning on the Voyager Pro HD when it auto-connects to the Pre 3 or when turning the Voyager Pro HD off. There is definitely something to it. I haven't pinned it down 100% yet, but every time it happens I get a little closer. It has only happened to me three times so far - and only when Uberkernel was installed. It hasn't happened again for me since the last time I uninstalled Uberkernel, so it may be the combination of that plus the headset. IMO, Uberkernel on my Pre 3 introduces a lot of undesirable laggy behavior. When it's installed, I noticed the core gets hosed frequently - sometimes even immediately following a reboot. My Pre 3 works so much better and reliably without it. YMMV.
    Last edited by jayteeee; 11/11/2011 at 02:27 AM.
    The memory is the worst thing... sadly the Pre3 is the device with the lowest amount of memory available for webOs while having 512MB physical memory built in.

This is very annoying, because otherwise it would be a nice device and most issues might have been fixed or worked around someday. But you can't really repair the memory thing, it's because another architecture (Qualcom Snapdragon <=> TI Omap) and some memory of the 512MB is assigned to the phone part and you will never be able to use it for other things (and maybe don't want it either)... So the Pre3 will always suffer from less available memory than Pre+,Pre2 or Veer. This is really sad...

I think I will go back to my Veer soon... I just can't stand the device being lagging to death after two days of light use (this is with Ueberkernel and TMC "fix"... the fix just changes the TMC messages into a lagging system... that does not really help, you need to reboot every few days with or without the fix).