Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm totally freaking out because obviously there isn't warranty on this phone. As I was drinking my cup of joe, my pre 3 fell (top first)into the choice about 5 seconds. The phone was still on and would let me pull up the launcher, but nothing else. I took out the battery immediately after that and its now drying in rice. Anything else I should do?
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    I'm totally freaking out because obviously there isn't warranty on this phone. As I was drinking my cup of joe, my pre 3 fell (top first)into the choice about 5 seconds. The phone was still on and would let me pull up the launcher, but nothing else. I took out the battery immediately after that and its now drying in rice. Anything else I should do?
    That's terrible I would say get a new battery but that's not the easiest thing to find for a Pre 3.
    Palm Pre ----> Palm Pre Plus ----> Palm Pre 2---->HP TouchPad---->HP Pre 3!!!
    Hmmm, that's not the right type of java for webOS.
  4.    #4  
    I meant cup not choice! And I know hopefully it'll be fine, if anything how much are batteries?
    Some people cook their dunked items in a low oven - this is in addition to the rice. Not sure all the details but you can certainly look into it here or on the web.

I also think disassembling to reduce the chance that something has held onto water is worth a go.
    I meant cup not choice! And I know hopefully it'll be fine, if anything how much are batteries?
    Well as far as I know, there is no way to get them outside of buying another pre3. However, mugen batteries will sell batteries for the pre 3 in the near future. I don't know for how much though.

EDIT: Actually I found that they have them on ebay for 60 bucks plus shipping but that's pretty steep.
    Last edited by phillyeagles36; 11/08/2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Palm Pre ----> Palm Pre Plus ----> Palm Pre 2---->HP TouchPad---->HP Pre 3!!!
    Oh god I know I cant help much but also have a pre3 and am so scared of anything happening to it I barely dare bring it out of my house! Living with a pre3 is like living life on the edge! I can only hope you pre survives the ordeal of coffee (luckily I don't drink coffee).

WebOS doctor would be a good bet if all else fails and if coffee particles are screwing that up a very last attempt may be rinsing with water (DISTILLED WATER NOT REGULAR) then 2 day dry out period and WebOS doctor again. Note that's only what I would do so anyone who knows that is wrong plz comment!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias89 View Post
    Oh god I know I cant help much but also have a pre3 and am so scared of anything happening to it I barely dare bring it out of my house! Living with a pre3 is like living life on the edge! I can only hope you pre survives the ordeal of coffee (luckily I don't drink coffee).

WebOS doctor would be a good bet if all else fails and if coffee particles are screwing that up a very last attempt may be rinsing with water (DISTILLED WATER NOT REGULAR) then 2 day dry out period and WebOS doctor again. Note that's only what I would do so anyone who knows that is wrong plz comment!!!!
    Good point - rinsing may be needed as the dried coffee may cause shorts. Very pure alcohol or water would be best - and since coffee is water soluble that seems best. This isn't simple is it...
  9.    #9  
    Some people cook their dunked items in a low oven - this is in addition to the rice. Not sure all the details but you can certainly look into it here or on the web.

I also think disassembling to reduce the chance that something has held onto water is worth a go.
    wait...cooking it in an oven? I never heard of that. How long should I wait before taking it out of the rice? Also, should the battery be in the rice too?
    Well aint that sweet! Baby girl's already graduated to grown up foods.

If you have silica gel that may be more effective than the rice but its also darn toxic too; baby girl may eat it lol

I also suggest you disassemble and place the parts in front of a hair dryer on cool. I did that just last month when my other phone got drenched. An 40 minutes at different angles should be fine.

Edit:
    Cooking in an oven is risky. The logic board and ICs will survive it but there may a hidden ribbon cable, wire insulation or film that wont. Also the coffee and sugar will do you bad. I've heard of the distilled water solution but never tired or seen it done. Chk youtube and elsewhere for possible solutions. Stick to the more rational/professional ones.
    Last edited by p41m3r; 11/08/2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    wait...cooking it in an oven? I never heard of that. How long should I wait before taking it out of the rice? Also, should the battery be in the rice too?
    Hey chica...stay away from the oven thing... Stick w/ rice and possibly a few hours in semi-direct sunlight...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    HelloNNNewman and fxspec06 like this.
    GOOD LORD DON'T COOK IT!! the cooking in the oven I believe was an x-box 360 thing which involved bad soldering. This is a phone with a much smaller space between solders therefore a bad idea to melt the soldering as they may melt and overlap and short-circuit! not as much of a problem with x-box as gaps between circuit lines are much bigger! keep calm and carry on... try the risk free ideas first then move on to bigger risks if the previous don't work.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    GOOD LORD, DON'T PUT IT IN THE OVEN! You did the right thing. Leave it sealed in a bag of rice for 24 to 72 hours (and, just in case, start saving up for another one... just sayin')

How to dry out a wet cell phone | How To - CNET
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    On the plus side... the caffeine may make it run faster

But I agree... do NOT put the device in an oven, even at a really low heat. Rinse it, pull the back cover off and battery out, if you can also pull the main bezel off (but that isn't easy), then put all pieces in dry rice for a couple of days - in a sunlit area (as mrkalel suggested).

Good luck!!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    baking a phone at 225 F isn't going to hurt any solder.
    If you rinse it use distilled water.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Don't put it in the oven. Generally, I'd recommend rinsing small electronics in distilled water or using a circuit board cleaning solution (usually alcohol based). The latter is going to dry quicker since the alcohol will evaporate more quickly. Although rice will work (so will rock salt), I'd probably use some sort of silica gel desiccant if you have some handy.

That being said, I think the ultimate fun would be to call HP tech support and record it to see what they say.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17.    #17  
    Should I take it out of the bowl and rinse it? Wouldn't that make it worse? I dried all the wet areas before I did it. The cup wasn't full, there was only a little left but the top part got in there pretty good
    The best thing you can do is leave it in the rice for a couple days. As far as the oven thing goes, I don't know where that came from, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had a friend put is iPhone in the microwave for 30 sec after dropping it in the toilet, he just fried his phone & killed it (to his excuse, he was completely drunk).

Leave it in the rice & hope for the best, but definitely do not heat that phone up.
    My wife washed her samsung phone, I saw a flash of light in the washer window and asked her where her phone was, she got it out.. it took 4 or 5 days in rice to dry it out, but it is working fine. I blew on it with compressed air to get as much out as I could, it still would not work right, daughter told us about the rice trick and we left it several days, still did not work, put it back in the rice, tried it every day until it worked.... best of luck!
    Inquiring minds want to know......................was the coffee ok?

Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast