Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    where rice could theoretically help is in the way rod suggested: if you disassemble the phone, rinse the pieces with distilled water, then put them in rice, the rice could act to wick away little droplets of water on the surface of the parts. the water would then spread over the surface of the piece of rice and then evaporate faster. however salt would be a better choice for that purpose, since it actually IS a mild dessicant, and is smaller so it would make better contact with the item to be dried.
    Contact isn't strictly required as much as sealing out other external sources of humidity. Rock salt is quite effective in my converted chest freezer/fermenter.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    where rice could theoretically help is in the way rod suggested: if you disassemble the phone, rinse the pieces with distilled water, then put them in rice, the rice could act to wick away little droplets of water on the surface of the parts. the water would then spread over the surface of the piece of rice and then evaporate faster. however salt would be a better choice for that purpose, since it actually IS a mild dessicant, and is smaller so it would make better contact with the item to be dried.
    Except that salt is corrosive and conductive and would render the parts useless.

If it were my phone I'd disassemble, clean with distilled water, put in a warm oven for a while and place into a zip lock bag with some commercial dessicant at this point. I would not just dry it (due to the coffee) and I would be OK skipping the oven if I had good dessicant.
    Dogma likes this.
  3.    #43  
    Wow, I'm shocked! The rice thing actually worked! My pre 3 is up and running like nothing ever happened. I'm actually writing this from my phone volume rocker is fine, speakers work perfectly, I haven't tested out the phone calls yet.
    I let it sit in rice for 24 hours. But half way through I took it out and cleaned some parts with rubbing alcohol (as I was told to on here to clean out all the coffee gunk) but I didn't fully take it apart because I'm not that tech savy haha.
    Thank you all for the helpful tips you saved my phone. Now hopefully I don't jinx it all
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    Wow, I'm shocked! The rice thing actually worked! My pre 3 is up and running like nothing ever happened. I'm actually writing this from my phone volume rocker is fine, speakers work perfectly, I haven't tested out the phone calls yet.
    I let it sit in rice for 24 hours. But half way through I took it out and cleaned some parts with rubbing alcohol (as I was told to on here to clean out all the coffee gunk) but I didn't fully take it apart because I'm not that tech savy haha.
    Thank you all for the helpful tips you saved my phone. Now hopefully I don't jinx it all
    I hope it continues to work.

I would not have advised Rubbing Alcohol as it has a high degree of residue and is not recommended for circuit board cleaning - you need a higher degree of purity to avoid leaving contamination behind but maybe you were lucky.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I hope it continues to work.

I would not have advised Rubbing Alcohol as it has a high degree of residue and is not recommended for circuit board cleaning - you need a higher degree of purity to avoid leaving contamination behind but maybe you were lucky.
    I didn't clean that part :/ I just cleaned what I saw..the coffee stains
    Personally i would've used denatured alcohol... But that's just me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Except that salt is corrosive and conductive and would render the parts useless.
    yes, i wasn't thinking about all those nasty sodium and chlorine ions floating around the moment the salt got wet.

the fact remains though that rice isn't a dessicant. I'm glad the OP's phone is working though.
    All of this talk about things to absorb moisture reminded me about those little packs of silica gel pellets they put in the boxes with electronics, shoes, and other items. I always wondered just how beneficial those actually were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    All of this talk about things to absorb moisture reminded me about those little packs of silica gel pellets they put in the boxes with electronics, shoes, and other items. I always wondered just how beneficial those actually were.
    I used to collect those for situations like these. Never got to use them.

24 hours was kinda short; not sure how much evaporation has taken place. Have you ever gotten water under the face of your watch? How long did that take to go away?
    Happy it worked out for you.
    Glad your phone is working again.

For the skeptical of rice... You can buy a product called DampRid at Lowes that absorbs moisture. I'd try not to get it in the phone though, as it does melt after it's absorbed very large amounts of moisture, and even if it didn't, it would jam the slider.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/09/2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Glad your phone is working again.

For the skeptical of rice... You can buy a product called DampRid at Lowes that absorbs moisture. I'd try not to get it in the phone though, as it does melt after it's absorbed very large amounts of moisture, and even if it didn't, it would jam the slider.
    You could also just use Super Strong, Super Absorbent Bounty Paper Towels....the "quicker picker upper".
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    You could also just use Super Strong, Super Absorbent Bounty Paper Towels....the "quicker picker upper".
    That's what I always reach for first.
    yes, i wasn't thinking about all those nasty sodium and chlorine ions floating around the moment the salt got wet.

the fact remains though that rice isn't a dessicant. I'm glad the OP's phone is working though.
    While it may not be a perfect desiccant because it could be eaten by creatures, it works very well and is commonly available at a reasonable price. It is safe to use. Keep on believing that salt would be your choice over rice, but I am not going to put my wet phone in salt to dry it out.

Rice is a common "low-tech" alternative frequently used, for example, in salt-shakers to maintain granularity of table salt for effective pouring or shaking. Rice, however, is not a good general purpose desiccant since, unless immersed in an organism-hostile environment like pure salt, over time may be eaten by creatures that might in turn contaminate the product that is being preserved. Salt itself is another effective desiccant, used for millennia in preparation of dried food and also to mummify corpses.
    The "leave it in a bag of rice" method always gets mentioned... If it's really about drying out the phone, I wonder if those moisture collector bags you hang in the closet works... Put the phone and that in a big bag and wait... The best is just leave it in front of a dehumidifier but not everyone has one of those...

Glad your phones back on track.
    This topic reminded me of a funny story about my wife. I know you are thinking "don't go there man!", but this story is safe.

My wife visited the doctor who gave her some samples of an anti-biotic to get her started right away. So my wife opens up the small bottle which probably had about 5 capsules in it. She shook out one capsule and swallowed it with some water. It was a little bit larger capsule than she was accustomed to, but it was a new medicine, so she didn't think anything of it at that time. Later, it was time for her next dose. She shook out the next tablet and it was a totally different looking pill. All of the other pills in the bottle looked like this second one, none looked like the first one. Stunned, we opened another sample bottle that the Doctor had given us and sure enough, there was one anomalous capsule. As we looked closely at it, we read the words "silica gel dissicate, do not ingest". We called the Doctor, and he laughed but assured us there was nothing to worry about. Except for a bout of dry humor, my wife was fine and we like to laugh about it from time to time. Those times come more frequently to me than her, but...

Oh, and my old LG VX8300 spent an hour and a half in about 4 feet of water. It popped off my belt as I was tying off the stern of a ski boat. I got it out and popped out the battery and put it in a ziploc with rice. About 2 days later, I got home and opened up the lower section, found sand in there! Cleaned what I could with isopropyl alcohol. Let it air out a little longer, put in a backup battery and voila! It worked fine! That was a good tough phone.

My other electronic device submersion was my old HandERA 330. I had it in my front shirt pocket when I leaned over to put water in my dog's water bowl. The HandERA slipped out and PLOP! I retrieved it very quickly, probably not in the water more than 2 seconds. But water had entered in so I popped out the battery pack and took out the dual cards (it had one CF and one SD slot...Virtual Graffiti area, QVGA resolution, that was a cool device!). Then I opened the unit laying both halves facing up with a 40 watt bulb about 8 inches away. I left it that way for about a day. I cleaned everything I could with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. I let it dry for another hour or so, put everything back together and it worked great!
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 11/10/2011 at 05:16 AM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Grabber5.0 and mdsf like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Same thing happened to my Pre minus it fell in a pail of water.

...Note: My Pre minus takes 6 and a half minutes to boot up.
    Hey, I'm right there with you...typical boot up for my Pre+ VZW is 6 min 25 seconds. I have had it take as long as 7:30, and recently as short as about 4:50.

So far, you and I have the longest boot times I have heard about for the 1.x Pres.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye-08 View Post
    While it may not be a perfect desiccant because it could be eaten by creatures, it works very well and is commonly available at a reasonable price. It is safe to use. Keep on believing that salt would be your choice over rice, but I am not going to put my wet phone in salt to dry it out.

Rice is a common "low-tech" alternative frequently used, for example, in salt-shakers to maintain granularity of table salt for effective pouring or shaking. Rice, however, is not a good general purpose desiccant since, unless immersed in an organism-hostile environment like pure salt, over time may be eaten by creatures that might in turn contaminate the product that is being preserved. Salt itself is another effective desiccant, used for millennia in preparation of dried food and also to mummify corpses.

Rice's action in Salt Shakers may be just mechanical in nature per several sources. It's easy to test if it works as a dessicant - does it weigh more after use (absorbed water) and does the moisture content of the environment go down in it's presence? Surely someone has a kid who needs a science fair project idea...
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    On the plus side... the caffeine may make it run faster

But I agree... do NOT put the device in an oven, even at a really low heat. Rinse it, pull the back cover off and battery out, if you can also pull the main bezel off (but that isn't easy), then put all pieces in dry rice for a couple of days - in a sunlit area (as mrkalel suggested).

Good luck!!
    LOL! you beat me to it! but yes to the rice. on the maemo forum, a lot of users there have first hand experience of dropping thier Nokia N900s into water and the generally agreed and most effective treatment for a wet phone is to put it into a bowl of rice. the rice will absorb the moisture.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    terrible, good luck... Hope you didn't put too much sugar in your coffee!
    Rice's action in Salt Shakers may be just mechanical in nature per several sources. It's easy to test if it works as a dessicant - does it weigh more after use (absorbed water) and does the moisture content of the environment go down in it's presence? Surely someone has a kid who needs a science fair project idea...
    Not sure when my daughter's is, but it sounds like a good idea. Could even make it into a desiccant effectiveness project (check it with rice, rock salt, and silica gel pack).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast