Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know......................was the coffee ok?

The coffee was more than okay. A nice pumpkin spice flavor....that may have killed my babygirl
    sledge007 likes this.
    sell it on ebay for parts. and buy a new one.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    sell it on ebay for parts. and buy a new one.
    You're giving me false hope that it won't be okay
    For those who say don't cook it - please cite a reason why that is supported. There are plenty of success stories using this method - and lots of people saying don't but not showing conclusively why.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...kbPXO5FQEpW3bg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...DVqgPBI0zJ0cMg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...v5hsmKBUHtZYFA

No one is suggesting 400 or even 200 degrees. The LOWEST setting - and perhaps even off after that with a short cool down period.

Rice is a good solution also.

As for not washing the phone before you dry it - the coffee is going to leave residue behind and I have no idea if that will be corrosive or conductive - either one is bad bad bad.

If you do want to "wash" it. I would suggest you look up how to wash off a circuit board and probably just use a gentle cotton swab method and avoid any of the parts that appear to have holes or crevices as best you can. Essentially it's not a dunking like the drop in coffee - just an attempt to get the crud off the traces...

But I'm no expert here - I'm not saying I know - just repeating what I hear and what I know from some other electronics like altimeters in rocketry.
    Disassemble fully, rinse with distilled water, dry in rice, reassemble.

http://bit.ly/pre3-disassembly

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/09/2011 at 03:23 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Pray.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    why does everyone want to put wet electronics in rice? that's not going to do anything.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    why does everyone want to put wet electronics in rice? that's not going to do anything.
    ??

Do you understand what the rice does? Google Please.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Rice acts as a desiccant.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Exactly, rice is safe to use, most have it and it drys the electronics out without harming them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey chica...stay away from the oven thing... Stick w/ rice and possibly a few hours in semi-direct sunlight...
    Same thing happened to my Pre minus it fell in a pail of water.

Here's what I did:
    I immediately wrapped my phone in two paper towels and let it dry in my air conditioned office for several hours. This dried the outside of my phone.

Then, when I got home, I opened the phone case, removed the battery, and aimed a small fan at my phone (use lowest setting). I let the fan run overnight (about 7-8 hours).

When I awoke, I checked to make sure all surfaces on the phone were dry.

Then I replaced the original (wet) battery with another spare battery I had.

I then reinserted my spare battery and reassembled my phone.

Finally, I rebooted my phone, and noticed my spare battery began charging.

Then, I saw my boot screen and animated logo, followed by my launcher home screen. Note: My Pre minus takes 6 and a half minutes to boot up.

Finally, I did not notice anything unusual. So, I hope my story helps you and your Pre 3.

Best of Luck. Peace.

P.S. My situation was simply water. In your case, your phone fell in coffee. I suggest you use a damp cloth to remove any coffee residue. If you still have problems, take your phone to a hobby store that can dry it for you. Hobby stores usually have materials and drying tools, such as a micro battery-powered fan that can dry the internal areas of your phone. Its a shame your phone does not have any insurance. Again, best of luck, and success with your Pre3.
    Last edited by fred1955; 11/09/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    I'm totally freaking out because obviously there isn't warranty on this phone. As I was drinking my cup of joe, my pre 3 fell (top first)into the choice about 5 seconds. The phone was still on and would let me pull up the launcher, but nothing else. I took out the battery immediately after that and its now drying in rice. Anything else I should do?
    True story. Many years ago I knew someone that had spilled Dr. Pepper into their desktop computer while it was on. When he brought it to me it would not power on, much less anything else, even though he had let it dry for a couple of days. He sold it to me for parts, (I wanted the Hard drive and ram). While taking it apart I decided to try an experiment. I took the motherboard completely out and cleaned all of the sticky Dr. Pepper off with a wet tooth brush. I then let it dry completely and reassembled the computer and it worked...for several years.

The point here is that after it dries, if it still will not work, you may have to disassemble it, and gently clean the stickiness out of it with a damp toothbrush. I would not suggest submerging it in water or anything else though.
    First of all, you may not be able to resurrect your Pre 3 because it was powered up at the time of the dunking. That increased the likelyhood of electronic damage.

Secondly, the oven technique works IF DONE CORRECTLY. Just set the oven to the LOWEST setting (100 to 125 degrees is ideal) and be patient, allowing at least 24 hours to dry device out.

I've saved $3000.00 police radios this way. They had been put into a toilet tank by the thief, but had only been submerged in water and never turned on before being dried out this way.

That being said, your chances are lower since (1) it was coffee and (2) it was powered up at the time of the dunking.

Best of luck to you on this.
    mdsf likes this.
    rice isn't a desiccant, that's a myth.
    Have you ever cooked rice? The amount of water it absorbs is miraculous! Good luck, OP! I'd follow Rod's advice (and everyone else who said the same)...

Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Have you ever cooked rice? The amount of water it absorbs is miraculous! Good luck, OP! I'd follow Rod's advice (and everyone else who said the same)...

I hadn't really ever thought about this... but look at what this says:

Using Rice to Keep Salt Dry-------Theory All Wet? - eG Forums
    yes, it's an EXTREMELY common myth, repeated ad nauseum for a long time, but it's still a myth.

if it were true, then you could just leave a bowl of dry rice sitting out on a humid day, and come back to a nice bowl of cooked rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by wb9btz View Post
    ...the oven technique works IF DONE CORRECTLY. Just set the oven to the LOWEST setting (100 to 125 degrees is ideal) and be patient, allowing at least 24 hours to dry device out.
    This will make the drying process go a bit faster, but it is not any better.

To those that worry this method might damage the product: Have you ever left your cell phone in your car on a sunny day? If the outside air temperature is only 79 degrees F but the sun is shining into your car, your interior can heat up to 192 degrees F if you have a black interior.

Soaring Temperatures Pose Deadly Threat to Children
    where rice could theoretically help is in the way rod suggested: if you disassemble the phone, rinse the pieces with distilled water, then put them in rice, the rice could act to wick away little droplets of water on the surface of the parts. the water would then spread over the surface of the piece of rice and then evaporate faster. however salt would be a better choice for that purpose, since it actually IS a mild dessicant, and is smaller so it would make better contact with the item to be dried.
    yes, it's an EXTREMELY common myth, repeated ad nauseum for a long time, but it's still a myth.

if it were true, then you could just leave a bowl of dry rice sitting out on a humid day, and come back to a nice bowl of cooked rice.
    It may be a myth, but your reasoning leaves a bit to be desired. Cooking rice requires quite a bit more water and heat than that (unless your definition of humid day includes boiling rainfall ).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast