webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Undervolting Pre3
Undervolting Pre3
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12/16/2011, 12:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Hi, just wondering when these will be available in stable release? I'm very much interested to try this. Thanks.
virseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 01:42 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
I can't seem to get my voltage changes to stick. Whenever I go back into the voltage settings they have reverted to default. I'm on the latest UberKernel and can overclock to 1.9GHz fine.Running 2.2.4 on a Pre3.

Any help would be appreciated.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 01:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
kill_dano's Avatar
 
Posts: 883
Are you making a new profile? You need to save changes into a profile.

Mine:
128Mhz: 800mV
245Mhz: 800mV
368Mhz: 800mV
768Mhz: 825mV
806Mhz: 850mV
1Ghz: 875mV
1.2Ghz: 950mV
1.4Ghz: 1050mV
1.5Ghz: 1125mV
1.6Ghz: 1200mV
1.8Ghz: 1250mV
1.9Ghz: 1325mV

Last edited by kill_Dano; 12/29/2011 at 02:02 AM.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 02:26 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
yes.

I do the following

advanced settings
cpu frequencies
cpu voltage
change value e.g. 1.4 to 1249mv
swipe back
apply settings
swipe back
save as new profile

when I look at the profile details or go back to voltage settings it still says 1250mv.

do I need dev mode on or beta access to preware?
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 10:56 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
yes.

I do the following

advanced settings
cpu frequencies
cpu voltage
change value e.g. 1.4 to 1249mv
swipe back
apply settings
swipe back
save as new profile

when I look at the profile details or go back to voltage settings it still says 1250mv.

do I need dev mode on or beta access to preware?
I noticed this as well. I think it needs to be in increments of 25 before you have to save it. E.g. 1250 change it to 1225 then apply settings. It should stick then.
virseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 05:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by virseph View Post
I noticed this as well. I think it needs to be in increments of 25 before you have to save it. E.g. 1250 change it to 1225 then apply settings. It should stick then.
The new Govnah app will only let me go up and down 2 notches so I can't try that.

Tried un-installing and reinstalling UberKernel but no change. (
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 06:44 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 12
Yeah, same here, and the voltage settings don't stick.
Maybe this doesn't work on 2.2.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
The new Govnah app will only let me go up and down 2 notches so I can't try that.

Tried un-installing and reinstalling UberKernel but no change. (
yellox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 06:48 AM   #48 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
ShiftyAxel's Avatar
 
Posts: 761
The voltage settings stick fine for me, but the CPU will sometimes max out and remain at maximum speed (whilst being really laggy, odd) until rebooted.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2012, 02:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
The new version of Govnah (v1.3.8) has fixed the voltage changes not sticking problem on my Pre3 at least.

Thanks webOSInternals.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2012, 02:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
The new version of Govnah (v1.3.8) has fixed the voltage changes not sticking problem on my Pre3 at least.

Thanks webOSInternals.
If you're using an alpha or beta kernel, you should always be using the corresponding alpha or beta Govnah.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2012, 03:17 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
If you're using an alpha or beta kernel, you should always be using the corresponding alpha or beta Govnah.

-- Rod
I've just been using the regular feeds. If I somehow got out of sync then I don't know how.

Thanks again, Hagster )
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 09:28 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
great article on XDA developers: In Depth Nexus S Battery Study Brings About Surprising Conclusions | xda-developers

"No gain to be had from undervolting either ARM or INT voltages. I tested this to the extreme."

I wonder if the result is applicable to our Pre 3 as well. Personnaly, I don't see any battery gain from underwolting, my pre battery life has always been fine!
tomassplatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 10:43 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
Interesting read and the guys clearly put in a lot of effort. Still i'd be surprised if something isn't amiss in the setup. Chip makers wouldn't go to all that effort of setting different voltages for different speeds if it wasn't needed.

Looks like there are a few things need to be double checked before the result stands.

1) Effect of CPU load. ARM chips are really aggressive at turning off unused blocks when not being used.

2) Possibility that the UV settings weren't being enabled properly.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0