Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally got sick and tired of looking for another phone after my last pre 3 disaster (it bricked after an update) and finally bite the bullet and bought another one.

It's brand new out of the box and the Unlock code is included as well, however when I put my SIM card in there it's not detecting it. It keeps showing the "insert sim" screen. I tried two different Rogers SIMs and one Bell SIM and it does not detect them at all. has anyone seen this happen before?
    You seem to be alone on this one. Sounds like bad hardware. Bummer.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Mine has done that 3 times. Nothing worked except slamming it down as hard as I could on the desk, back side down of course, then popping out the battery then reinserting it and powering the device up.

Seriously!

It's a Pre 3, no warranty, no support, so I really have nothing to lose.

Reminds me of the old tube tv's from the 1950's - before my time of course, but my dad told me how they would give them the "shock" treatment to get them working again.

TTB

P.S. DSOL, you're never alone around here ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  4.    #4  
    lol... ok, I thought about slamming it, but I decided to take it apart instead. It seems like the main pcb board is bad. I swapped it the the dead one that does not boot and I got one working pre3 now

My only issue: Can't log into my WebOS account. On the website it shows it has software version 9.9.9
    I have doctored it with the original ATT 2.2.3 and the modified UK one, still no dice. I managed to at least unlock the phone tho.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Have you looked at the 6 pins? Sometimes they are pressed down. If you carefully take a paperclip or soemething else small enough you can pry them back up.

BE CAREFUL.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  6.    #6  
    it's not the 6 pins. the same modem PCA is working in the device right now and is reading the SIM. the main pca was bad.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Mine has done that 3 times. Nothing worked except slamming it down as hard as I could on the desk, back side down of course, then popping out the battery then reinserting it and powering the device up.

Seriously!

It's a Pre 3, no warranty, no support, so I really have nothing to lose.

Reminds me of the old tube tv's from the 1950's - before my time of course, but my dad told me how they would give them the "shock" treatment to get them working again.

TTB

P.S. DSOL, you're never alone around here ....
    Solder Balls
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
  8.    #8  
    I still cannot sign into the WebOS account, not even a new account.

Have enabled Devel mod and I have enabled the WiFi, still not working. Have doctored it 7 times already with different images. Can't long into any WebOS account and HP help desk will not support me. They simply said that it's my problem and they don't support Pre 3 at all now. Not even software and account.
  9.    #9  
    It's funny, I can change the password for the account, but it will not log in.
    any ideas how this can be fixed?
  10.    #10  
    ok... I create a new account, it works, I erase the device then it won't log back into the same account. The only way to activate the phone is to create a new account every time. that's strange. Is it because i pieced two phones together?

I want my primary account working again. I have a bunch of apps in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoffuture View Post
    ok... I create a new account, it works, I erase the device then it won't log back into the same account. The only way to activate the phone is to create a new account every time. that's strange. Is it because i pieced two phones together?

I want my primary account working again. I have a bunch of apps in there.
    I've came up with two trains of thought for you, both of them sorta pulled out of thin air, but still worth looking into:

ONE: - The way profiles worked was changed sometime after 2.x was released but before 3.x came out. I'm wondering if this change combined with your unique situation - having two different devices with their own imei, own s/n and own palm s/n tokens, then switching boards ???

- Curious, were both devices AT&T Pre 3's or was one an AT&T Pre 3 and the other an EU Pre 3 ... I'm leading you towards trying Impostah if you haven't got the device working yet.

TWO:
    - You're going to hate this one -> put it back together as it was with the bad PCB that wouldnt recognize your SIM. Then use show properties to nab the tokens all of them, in one grab and just the modem swap tokens in another grab. Then disassemble and reassemble as the semi-working device you have right now.

Then get show properties on to the device again and grab both token files.

Do a stare and compare

Consult with Rod Whitby, sharing the specific differences in Token files. Rod will know if there's any chance they could be the cause of y our troubles. Ignore any that are ruled out, but note the ones Rod indicates may play a role, if any.

If there are tokens Rod points out as suspect, you'll need to follow the meta-doctor process to change those tokens on your semi-working device, then try to activate from scratch all over again once finished.

About the thin air, I'm a Denver Broncos fan, what can I say!

EDIT: Addendum: I've swapped AT&T Pre 3 comms boards back and forth a couple of times and it has worked without any problems, although the devices would assume each others profile identities as expected, they both worked fine after doctoring. I'm thinking this has more to do with your pcb swap then the comms boards ....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/08/2011 at 03:30 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Another option is to use the Pre 3 Impersonation process twice to attempt to reverse the 9.9.9 situation. It worked for me on a Pre 3.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13.    #13  
    @ Barry

Thank you for the advice. The last phone started acting strange with the profiles. It started having a lot of issues such as combining all the profiles together under one contact. I Doctored the old phone and had issues logging in with it as well. I ended up doctoring it a few times then it finally worked after two days of trying. However about 2 days later it said there was an update available for WebOS and it tried installing it and killed the boot loader. The phone will not load any more and can't be put to recovery mode either.

I wonder if WebOS account has something to do with screwing up my last phone given that even my last phone (with everything intact) had issues with the sign in.

It will take me some time before I can disassemble the two phones and start swapping parts again. Both phones are AT&T phones and seem to be the same HP part numbers. The UK phone has green PCB, the ATT has brown PCB inside so it's hard to mix them up

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Another option is to use the Pre 3 Impersonation process twice to attempt to reverse the 9.9.9 situation. It worked for me on a Pre 3.

-- Rod
    I have used Development Imposta to connect the phone to Wifi somewhere along the line in attempts to try and get this issue fixed. But I'm sure I did see the phone listed in my main account with version 9.9.9 on it somewhere along the line. Can you please elaborate on this? How do I use the "Pre 3 Impersonation process twice"?

This sounds easier than playing with T5 screws if it works!

Right now I'm kinda scared to reset my phone again. so far I have used up all my 3 email accounts and this is the last one I might end up having to get more emails I have my own mail server, but having 3 and my work email is already a pain I really don't need a 4th one
  14.    #14  
    mmm.... ok, so software version IS in fact issue with my phone right now. I just tried installing Facebook App from the app catalog and it gives me a message that the app is not supported on my version and I should do an update first. I have 2.2.3 installed... I think??? Did Imposta do that or was it enabling Devmod?
    mmm.... ok, so software version IS in fact issue with my phone right now. I just tried installing Facebook App from the app catalog and it gives me a message that the app is not supported on my version and I should do an update first. I have 2.2.3 installed... I think??? Did Imposta do that or was it enabling Devmod?
    Your "modified UK" doctor did that I suspect.

The impersonation technique is on the wiki.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  16.    #16  
    hehe... I don't know what is going on... Ubuntu site went down as soon as I went to download the OS for Meta-Doctor... what are the chances of that!!!

I need some holy water or something... Maybe I need to call India for help! They might have some mortaz to help me with my Pre 3 issues
  17.    #17  
    Ok, I did the pre3 impersonation found here: Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals ,

I think maybe I'm missing something. It said that it's done and it gave me the output file, but when I tried to doctor using that file it says that it is not compatible with the phone. I'm trying to make a to make an AT&T Pre 3 into an EU Pre or the other way around? why is the doctor not compatible?

Am I missing something? Well I am trying to doctor the device with the unmodified ATT image first see if I can use it to log into my account at all.
    Ok, I did the Impressions, but I think maybe I'm missing something. It said that it's done and it gave me the jre file, but when I tried to doctor using that file it says that it is not compatible with the phone.

Am I missing something? Well I am trying to doctor the device with the unmodified ATT image first see if I can use it to log into my account at all.
    To get any assistance, you will need to be orders of magnitude more precise and detailed in your posts.

Hint: pasting the console log of exactly what you did, including all the output, is usually the best way to get the precise solution for your specific problem. Include screenshots or videos of things which are not captured by the log of the command line output.

-- Rod
    Maybe I need to call India for help!
    Pick almost any company's Tech support line and dial .... odds are it will get you there ....
  20.    #20  
    mmm... I the terminal output is too long and the beginnings of it is missing. I'm going to run the script again and this time try and copy the entire text.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast