Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jlamb0
  • 1 Post By jlamb0
  • 1 Post By zukny
  • 1 Post By Ziplock
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I've been a webOS admirer for a couple of years now, but as a student on a strict budget, I couldn't just run out and buy a Pre+ or Pre2 off-contract. (I was an iPhone 3G user when the Pre+ came to AT&T, and my wife and I had just received an iPhone 4 each after our wedding when the Pre2 was announced.)

In any case, I've been a jailbreaker since I first got my iPhone, and I have watched with envy as the webOS homebrew community has taken an already elegant platform and made it even better. I even bought a $50 liquidation-sale Pixi, knowing I couldn't switch to it because it was a Verizon model.

When my aunt, who worked for Palm for many years and now (though maybe not for much longer) works for HP, asked me if I would like a Pre3, I jumped at the chance. I finally got it two nights ago, and I would love to be able to say I'll never look back. I could give you an absolutely positive review compared to my jailbroken iPhone 4.

But I'm entering this community at a very uncertain time (as if I needed to tell you folks that). My beloved new phone won't be receiving any updates, and even my die-hard Palm fanatic, aunt, who carried a Sprint Pre until just a couple of weeks ago, has jumped ship to Android. This Pre3, which I'm writing this post on, is going to be my phone until it dies or HP decides to make new devices again.

I sincerely hope it will be the latter rather than the former.
    pre4 likes this.
    More then 1 of us is hoping and wishing the same as you.

Congrats on getting one. Most of us can only admire the pre 3 from afar.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Can she get a Verizon Pre 3? If so, let me know.
    i bet he would get many many requests like this! I'd be right in line also lol
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    I've been a webOS admirer for a couple of years now, but as a student on a strict budget, I couldn't just run out and buy a Pre+ or Pre2 off-contract. (I was an iPhone 3G user when the Pre+ came to AT&T, and my wife and I had just received an iPhone 4 each after our wedding when the Pre2 was announced.)

In any case, I've been a jailbreaker since I first got my iPhone, and I have watched with envy as the webOS homebrew community has taken an already elegant platform and made it even better. I even bought a $50 liquidation-sale Pixi, knowing I couldn't switch to it because it was a Verizon model.

When my aunt, who worked for Palm for many years and now (though maybe not for much longer) works for HP, asked me if I would like a Pre3, I jumped at the chance. I finally got it two nights ago, and I would love to be able to say I'll never look back. I could give you an absolutely positive review compared to my jailbroken iPhone 4.

But I'm entering this community at a very uncertain time (as if I needed to tell you folks that). My beloved new phone won't be receiving any updates, and even my die-hard Palm fanatic, aunt, who carried a Sprint Pre until just a couple of weeks ago, has jumped ship to Android. This Pre3, which I'm writing this post on, is going to be my phone until it dies or HP decides to make new devices again.

welcome to the resistance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post

I agree with the OP's hope that HP will start making devices again, but I'm not counting on it. I am instead hoping that someone else will be making the devices.
    welcome to the resistance!!
    same here! :-)
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    To those still looking for Pre3s, I wish I could get one for each of you, but I can't. Sorry. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    I agree with the OP's hope that HP will start making devices again, but I'm not counting on it. I am instead hoping that someone else will be making the devices.
    My aunt seems to think that they want to hold on to webOS and do *something* with it. She just doesn't know exactly what. She definitely didn't think they were going to sell it, and she was doubtful on licensing. But she's given up on waiting for them. Like I mentioned above, she has gone to Android and is currently looking for a new job.

At this point, I'm just glad to have my Pre3. I'll try to take care of it the best I can, and I'll try not to think about what my next phone will be in a few years.

--And thanks all for the warm welcome!
    pre4 likes this.
    Hi guys,

I, too, have just come into the fold from an iPhone 4. I've got a Pre3 and a TouchPad. I understand iMessage just isn't going to happen on the Pre (too bad Apple won't make it an open protocol), and the Scrabble app doesn't seem to do multiplayer with push notifications, etc., but I'll live,

Just wondering if there's a "so you've jumped ship from iOS" thread or page somewhere? I've installed PreWare, muffled system logging etc. - just not sure where to go from here so I can get the most out of it. I'm still learning the gestures etc...
    When my old pre died, I was probably 1 step away from going droid or actually Apple. Even after I was able to buy a touchpad at 99 dollars, I was still considering buying a Iphone from Sprint.

Miraculously, I found a new job that forced me to switch service providers and I jumped on the ATT bandwagon & bought myself a Pre3

I have to tell you, greatest move I ever made. I realized so quickly how much I missed my old pre.. The OS is just amazing! the kind you wait and die for!

So i'm with you, Your worried there wont' be another device, but - u gotta have faith!
    pre4 likes this.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    im about to port my sprint number over to my pre 3 att plan !!! webOS > carrier loyalty
    pre4 likes this.