webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Yellow keyboard
Yellow keyboard
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TechyMexican

Old 11/06/2011, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is they keyboard of the Pre 3 suppose to have a yellowish tint to it? Is mine defective?
TechyMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

You mean the back light of the keyboard? Or the keys
mbasrawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's supposed to be white on black with back-light (which makes it look yellowish depending on the brightness).
vito-andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasrawi View Post
You mean the back light of the keyboard? Or the keys
the backlight on the keyboard. If the phone is turned off the keys do look white. and no matter what brightness I have it still looks yellowish
Liked by davidtm likes this.
Old 11/09/2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyMexican View Post
the backlight on the keyboard. If the phone is turned off the keys do look white. and no matter what brightness I have it still looks yellowish
Yes. Noticed it too. Got mine from DE, both keyboard and gesture led seem yellowish. Except the Y and & keys, which are whitish. Any thoughts?
coldv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldv View Post
Yes. Noticed it too. Got mine from DE, both keyboard and gesture led seem yellowish. Except the Y and & keys, which are whitish. Any thoughts?
I noticed that too. there are some letters than are white and most of them are yellow.
Old 11/09/2011, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyMexican View Post
I noticed that too. there are some letters than are white and most of them are yellow.
Does anyone else have this on their phones?
Old 11/09/2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Are you guys color blind? (legit question)

And my gesture is white, keys are offwhite. Not yeller.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
cyph911x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
Are you guys color blind? (legit question)

And my gesture is white, keys are offwhite. Not yeller.

Haha cyph, I triple checked with people. TMexican, can you post a pic? Else i'll post it from my pc when I get home
Old 11/09/2011, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

My keyboard is is similar as described by the OP, but to me it looks like the LEDs illuminating the keyboard are behind the D and the K keys. This gives the illusion the keys are different colors.

akshunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

IDK, I guess when the keys on my Pre 3 are lit up the color leans towards Navaho White, then again maybe its closer to Eggshell, hmmm, maybe I need to go to a paint store and look at a color chart.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 04:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have the same issue on my french Pre3. When I have brought last year, the keyboard was white. Now, the keyboard is yellow, but not arround the K ant backspace keys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000071 (1).jpg (76.7 KB, 44 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/14/2012, 06:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This is probably due to oils and dirt from your hands. It might be possible to clean it with pure (96 or so % alcohol)?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
This is probably due to oils and dirt from your hands. It might be possible to clean it with pure (96 or so % alcohol)?
+1 agreed
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

They key caps are probably vinyl, so if they have turned yellow from something like orange oil or vitamin A precursors (beta carotene in carrots, lutein and lycopene in tomatoes AFAIK, and also those present in red pepper, goji berries and red palm oil), then that is likely to be forever. There are different grades of vinyl, and different chemical compositions, such as Poly-Vinyl-Chloride plastics (PVC) and Poly-Vinyl-Siloxane which is commponly known as "silicone", there's also Ethylene-Vinyl-Acetate (found in shoes, carpet glue and shower curtains, but i doubt it's used in this particular case).

So depending on the mixture, which includes the base polymer, the plasticizer fluid, and various additives, the plastic may yellow, absorb odors, crack from UV exposure, or not. From what i can see, Palm used a higher quality plastic on the Pre+, because my keys still look brand new, and i haven't been careful.

I'm still not 100% sure what causes the yellowing, but if the keys' lettering is perfectly white while the backlight is off, then the problem is not with the key caps themselves, but some kind of an intermediate layer. White LEDs are based on sapphire crystal, which produces blue light and excites the YaG phosphor that fills in the rest of the color spectrum, and there is a chance that there is some UV leakage from the sapphire which can cause plastic to yellow...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 07:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Also have yellowish keys on AT&T Pre3. Don't know theirs origin - get such from previous owner.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pre 3 ; at&t

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0