1.    #1  
    Hello all... Is it just me or is the ATT EDGE network incapable of providing the internet on the Pre 3?

I am a Postpaid customer with an ATT branded phone. The phone is still locked and I have not tampered with it in any way. Also, I bought a new SIM card and signed up for the 2 Gb per month Data Plan when I activated the phone at the local ATT store.

The phone works great in all respects when I am in a 3G or 4G area.

When I am in an EDGE coverage area, everything still works EXCEPT the internet. i.e. Phone calls still work, SMS (text msgs) still work, and I seem to get my e-mail from time to time.

I haven't tried MMS messages as I rarely use them.

I simply cannot browse to anything on the internet at all. I always get "Error: Cannot resolve Host [2006]". Doesn't matter what site I go to, I get the same result. Many calls to ATT haven't solved this either.

As I understand it, I should get the internet even when I am in the EDGE coverage areas -just with slower speeds.

Any thoughts or ideas?
  2.    #2  
    Bump... 87 views and no one else is experiencing this? No one has any thoughts or suggestions? Am I mistaken in my understanding that I should still be able to browse the internet even in the EDGE (2.5G) coverage areas?

Guess that's what I get for living on the EDGE :-(
    When it says it has edge, it must truly not be edge. I use T-mobile on my Pre 3 and all I can get is edge and it works fairly well.
    Palm Pre ----> Palm Pre Plus ----> Palm Pre 2---->HP TouchPad---->HP Pre 3!!!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the response.

It has the E symbol right next to the signal strength bars (as one would expect). And everything seems to work as explained above. I just cannot browse the internet on the EDGE :-( as explained above.

It works perfectly when I am in 4G coverage areas :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by wb9btz View Post
    Thanks for the response.

It has the E symbol right next to the signal strength bars (as one would expect). And everything seems to work as explained above. I just cannot browse the internet on the EDGE :-( as explained above.

It works perfectly when I am in 4G coverage areas :-)
    It should work but obviously much slower than 4G. Then again, I have T-mobile's edge data so I don't know how At&t's edge data is.
    Palm Pre ----> Palm Pre Plus ----> Palm Pre 2---->HP TouchPad---->HP Pre 3!!!
    No issues here.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by wb9btz View Post
    Hello all... Is it just me or is the ATT EDGE network incapable of providing the internet on the Pre 3?

I am a Postpaid customer with an ATT branded phone. The phone is still locked and I have not tampered with it in any way. Also, I bought a new SIM card and signed up for the 2 Gb per month Data Plan when I activated the phone at the local ATT store.

The phone works great in all respects when I am in a 3G or 4G area.

When I am in an EDGE coverage area, everything still works EXCEPT the internet. i.e. Phone calls still work, SMS (text msgs) still work, and I seem to get my e-mail from time to time.

I haven't tried MMS messages as I rarely use them.

I simply cannot browse to anything on the internet at all. I always get "Error: Cannot resolve Host [2006]". Doesn't matter what site I go to, I get the same result. Many calls to ATT haven't solved this either.

As I understand it, I should get the internet even when I am in the EDGE coverage areas -just with slower speeds.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    There have been more than just a few network issues reported on fresh out of the box Pre 3's. Most of them are resolved with a quick visit to the doctor.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the suggestion TopTongueBarry.

I Doctored it about a week ago using build Att.166.2207 09/22/11 23:25 hoping that would cure the problem.

It didn't.

Also, I was in marginal 4G coverage area last night... A location about 20 miles away from my normal location. I started loading a page while on 4G and it was working. Then the signal strength dropped and the network switched to EDGE. At that moment the page stopped loading. After a few moments, the signal strength improved, the network switched back to H+ and the page immediately finished loading. Sure looks like an EDGE problem to me.

Just don't know if its the network or my phone.

I've got a 2nd Pre 3 on the way. It will be interesting to see how that one behaves.
  9.    #9  
    UPDATE: My 2nd Pre 3 arrived. I put the SIM into it, powered it up in a 4G coverage area and set up a new WebOS account. Then I went to several EDGE areas and found that I have Internet access in all locations that I tried. My new Pre 3 is still running WebOS 2.2.0 since AT&T/HP hasn't updated the WebOS yet.

So... Either there is a problem with the first phone or with the WebOS update that was sent to the first phone.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the WebOS update doesn't kill the EDGE Internet access when it arrives.
  10.    #10  
    UPDATE - Problem identified!

Apparently there was a hardware problem with my first Pre 3.

My second Pre 3 just has worked correctly since I took it out of the box. It just downloaded the latest WebOS version (2.2.3 build 2207) and installed it. The phone still works correctly -even on the EDGE network! :-)

Don't know why the EDGE Internet access on the first Pre 3 did not work, but even a trip to the "Doctor" couldn't fix it.

OH well... At least I have one that works correctly now! :-)

One final observation: There have been several reports on this forum of a blinking red led near the front camera on power-up. Interestingly, my "problem" phone had that blinking led, but my "working" phone does not. This is pure speculation, but could that led be a Palm/HP indicator of a phone with a hardware problem of some sort? Perhaps there are different blink sequences to indicate what portion of the hardware is not working correctly? Pure speculation perhaps, but it would be very easy for a manufacturer to implement this so as to quickly spot a "problem" phone as it is first powered up coming off the production line. ;-)

Thanks for the responses and suggestions as I tried to figure this problem out.
  11.    #11  
    UPDATE - Problem identified!

Apparently there was a hardware problem with my first Pre 3.

My second Pre 3 has worked correctly since I took it out of the box. It just downloaded the latest WebOS version (2.2.3 build 2207) and installed it. The phone still works correctly -even on the EDGE network! :-)

Don't know why the EDGE Internet access on the first Pre 3 did not work, but even a trip to the "Doctor" couldn't fix it.

OH well... At least I have one that works correctly now! :-)

One final observation: There have been several reports on this forum of a blinking red led near the front camera on power-up. Interestingly, my "problem" phone had that blinking led, but my "working" phone does not. This is pure speculation, but could that led be a Palm/HP indicator of a phone with a hardware problem of some sort? Perhaps there are different blink sequences to indicate what portion of the hardware is not working correctly? Pure speculation perhaps, but it would be very easy for a manufacturer to implement this so as to quickly spot a "problem" phone as it is first powered up coming off the production line. ;-)

Thanks for the responses and suggestions as I tried to figure this problem out.
    Last edited by wb9btz; 11/18/2011 at 12:53 PM.
    there was another guy who was trying to run an unlocked Pre3 on t-mobile, which of course means data would be EDGE only (like most others have reported, my own Pre3 runs great on t-mo and edge). He was never able to get the phone to activate, went round and round with different SIMs, different locations, etc, talked to HP tech support, i think he even had HP tech support talk with t-mobile tech support. the final conclusion of HP was that his phone had a busted EDGE radio. looks like you've got the same problem.