webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 slider looseness/rocking fix!
Pre 3 slider looseness/rocking fix!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By sir_osis_of_liver2002
  • 1 Post By hawaii
  • 1 Post By bart1967

Old 11/06/2011, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

I noticed a few posts on here about the slider rocking like it was on a teeter totter, and mine was no exception. I took mine apart, and noticed the majority of length of the slider extends out past where the slides actually grip the edges, thus the thin metal that supports the cpu and keyboard is very easy to flex, causing this troublesome problem. Mine is a Rev A model, and maybe reinforcement was added later on, as some people report no problems.

Taking the case apart is staight forward. Take off the back, remove battery. Remove SIM card if you have one. The screws are a T5 Torx. Menards, a midwest chain of home improvement stores, surprised me with having a nice T5 screwdriver (made in the USA!!) for under 4 bucks. WARNING: There is a hidden screw near the flash LED and the camera lense, there is a hole in the top case, and underneath was a round HP sticker; peel the sticker out of there to reveal the last screw (you can guess how I figured it was the last one..but didn't break case...I heard they aren't making these anymore... ). The top section of the internal structure can be removed fairly easily.

By irishflyer97 at 2011-11-06

Once you have removed the top portion, you are left with the inner workings of your wonderful device. There is one more screw, next to the SIM holder, remove that. This piece is removed rather easily; the keyboard section is snapped in, and it is fairly straight forward on separating this inner board from the slide/screen section. WARNING: Be careful when separating the halves as the wiring for the screen in plugged into this section. I used a very small flat screwdriver to gently pry the connector from the board. This looks fragile, so treat it like you were doing an emergency surgery on your child. Because you are.

The next photo is where I put two layers of duct tape to build up the surface. I cut them with a knife still on the roll, so I could make small rectangles and cover the area I needed. Be careful not to cover the shiny piece at the end of the long black strip, as your keyboard wont light up. Try to stay on the metal part, and you should be fine. Make sure the edges of the tape pieces are pushed down to the metal as smooth as you can get them. YMMV on the number of pieces you need, two worked for me. I forgot to take updated photo, as I also put tape under the leading edge of the screen section, and that caught itself and didn't work so well. I have pointed that out in the photo.

Assembly is straight forward as well. You might have to experiment with the number of layers it will take. This seems to have fixed my problem, and I hope it works for you as well!
sir_osis_of_liver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Adyuga, saf69 and arturocr like this.
Old 11/07/2011, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is a nice guide. I have to do some surgery on my phone for other reasons so I think this will be quite handy. Thanks!
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks scary. Mine rocks like 1/64th of a inch.... So.. Not worth it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
cyph911x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

the gap on mine was about 1/8", and when you would press on the gesture area, it would be loose and annoying. The surgery wasn't hard as the internals are fairly simple...
sir_osis_of_liver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2011, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Electrical tape offers better adjustment of thickness. I just competed mine and it's a lot better.

I have no idea how HP let this out the door with such a flimsy support to attach to the rail. I have a feeling I'm going to be soldering a thin cross-member to stop it from flexing.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jscm3 likes this.
Old 12/17/2011, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Could you repost the picture? My slider has a bit of an Oreo effect, wherein if I twist it a bit to the left, the keyboard lights up and the slider is detected as open. Maybe this would help..
Furuboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

The sliding mechanism on my Pre3 4G has no "oreo-effect" at all. It's not as stiff as the day I took it out of the box, but there isn't even the slightest wiggle, anywhere. I'm very impressed!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
pecuevasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
...so treat it like you were doing an emergency surgery on your child. Because you are.
lol, how true!

thanks for this, my Pre3 has the same trouble. It's pretty solid when open, but when closed touching the screen makes the top and bottom 'tap' together; it makes the whole thing feel very cheap. I noticed I've adopted an almost unconcious habit of holding the phone with my fingers gripping the top half of the phone rather than letting it just sit in my palm so that it won't feel loose.

Soon I'll work up the courage to take my Pre3 apart.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2012, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi guys!

As I just wrote on other threads, my case is broken. It is on the bottom of the sreen, near the small ridge to open the battery cover.
My plain question is: Can I separate somehow the display from the keyboard/main unit? I mean, if I can do this, I could use a second, damaged phone to fix it, or could try to "glue" the ring, at least to a point that it does not keep increasing the damage.

I would apreciate is someone already have some pictures on this.
saf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just tried this. looks like I hit the tape thickness on the low side. it's still rocking a tad, but not enough for me to try again.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2012, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for this guide. Got a dvt version of the phone which had this exact issue.
DracoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
I noticed a few posts on here about the slider rocking like it was on a teeter totter, and mine was no exception. I took mine apart, and noticed the majority of length of the slider extends out past where the slides actually grip the edges, thus the thin metal that supports the cpu and keyboard is very easy to flex, causing this troublesome problem. Mine is a Rev A model, and maybe reinforcement was added later on, as some people report no problems.

Taking the case apart is staight forward. Take off the back, remove battery. Remove SIM card if you have one. The screws are a T5 Torx. Menards, a midwest chain of home improvement stores, surprised me with having a nice T5 screwdriver (made in the USA!!) for under 4 bucks. WARNING: There is a hidden screw near the flash LED and the camera lense, there is a hole in the top case, and underneath was a round HP sticker; peel the sticker out of there to reveal the last screw (you can guess how I figured it was the last one..but didn't break case...I heard they aren't making these anymore... ). The top section of the internal structure can be removed fairly easily.

Click to view quoted image

Once you have removed the top portion, you are left with the inner workings of your wonderful device. There is one more screw, next to the SIM holder, remove that. This piece is removed rather easily; the keyboard section is snapped in, and it is fairly straight forward on separating this inner board from the slide/screen section. WARNING: Be careful when separating the halves as the wiring for the screen in plugged into this section. I used a very small flat screwdriver to gently pry the connector from the board. This looks fragile, so treat it like you were doing an emergency surgery on your child. Because you are.

The next photo is where I put two layers of duct tape to build up the surface. I cut them with a knife still on the roll, so I could make small rectangles and cover the area I needed. Be careful not to cover the shiny piece at the end of the long black strip, as your keyboard wont light up. Try to stay on the metal part, and you should be fine. Make sure the edges of the tape pieces are pushed down to the metal as smooth as you can get them. YMMV on the number of pieces you need, two worked for me. I forgot to take updated photo, as I also put tape under the leading edge of the screen section, and that caught itself and didn't work so well. I have pointed that out in the photo.

Click to view quoted image

Assembly is straight forward as well. You might have to experiment with the number of layers it will take. This seems to have fixed my problem, and I hope it works for you as well!
Hi!

I just bought an hp pre 3. Is the slightest rocking on the gesture are normal? What I mean is the slider does not twist nor wiggle. But, when you touch the gesture are, it somehow rocks. It's like there is a thin gap so when you applied pressure, the slider somehow close the gap.

I hope you understand my concern.

Thank you!
Matthew Salegumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think what you are talking about sounds normal for my phone... but would like to see others input
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2013, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Pre3 had this same rocking problem until recently. I accidentally dropped it from a height of about 18 inches onto a carpeted floor with the slide open. I didn't see which surface of the phone made impact with the floor, but the slider was snapped closed by the impact. Now the rocking motion is gone and the slider feels like new again! I probably couldn't recreate that again on purpose in a thousand years though.
bart1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0