Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    I have had my Pre 3 for a few months now & the battery performance was really good up until 2 weeks ago. I managed to last a whole day with 30-50% left at the end of a day.

    Suddenly 2 weeks ago the battery started draining really quickly & runs out by mid-afternoon. I have made sure the GPS is turned off I use wi-fi where possible, but still it has made no difference. Several re-boots etc & still no difference.

    Is it the battery?
    Is it the Pre3?
    Does any one have any ideas as to what might be the problem & how I can work out how to fix it?

    Thanks.

    Richard
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardallen42 View Post
    I have had my Pre 3 for a few months now & the battery performance was really good up until 2 weeks ago. I managed to last a whole day with 30-50% left at the end of a day.

    Suddenly 2 weeks ago the battery started draining really quickly & runs out by mid-afternoon. I have made sure the GPS is turned off I use wi-fi where possible, but still it has made no difference. Several re-boots etc & still no difference.

    Is it the battery?
    Is it the Pre3?
    Does any one have any ideas as to what might be the problem & how I can work out how to fix it?

    Thanks.

    Richard
    try turning off backups in backup app for a day or 2 and see if that fixes your issue , i had trouble with the backup getting stuck or something and causing the battery to die quickly . turn the backups back on after a few days and see if that fixes your issues. this may or may not help you.

    Also if you have any homebrew kernels running , try uninstalling and using uberkernel on default and see if that helps.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    try turning off backups in backup app for a day or 2 and see if that fixes your issue , i had trouble with the backup getting stuck or something and causing the battery to die quickly . turn the backups back on after a few days and see if that fixes your issues. this may or may not help you.

    Also if you have any homebrew kernels running , try uninstalling and using uberkernel on default and see if that helps.
    I will give the backup idea a try.

    I don't have any kernals installed, just te standard Pre3. I do have muffle system logging patch installed, but that should help rather than hinder battery performance.

    Thanks.
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  4. #4  
    i would install all of these patches ,unthrottle download manager, muffle system logging, quiet powered messages, remove dropped packet logging, silence missing resource handlers, unset CFQ IO schedular. these will help and may stop that from happening .
    these will help with a webOS bug that consumes memory and whatnot
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5. #5  
    I've settled on turning off bluetooth and wifi and setting uberkernel to default (down from having minimum speed set to 768MHz).

    I know you don't have a kernel installed but that's what worked for me. There is even a powersaving governer in govnah that seems to work even better to save power at the expense of some performance.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6.    #6  
    I've installed the patches & I will see what happens.

    Thanks.
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  7. #7  
    welcome
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    These patches seemed to make no difference, so I downloaded Dr. Battery.

    The Health of my battery is 51% 621mAh. I assume this means that my battery is knackered!

    Any ideas how this has happened, I only use the official Palm charger & the Touchstone?

    Richard
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  9. #9  
    I am having the same problem. what is going on, anyone know?? and try to find an extra backup--I have had no luck.
    I just saw this online. Please vote!!! http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-need-one.html
    Last edited by suzepi; 11/10/2011 at 07:05 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardallen42 View Post
    I have had my Pre 3 for a few months now & the battery performance was really good up until 2 weeks ago. I managed to last a whole day with 30-50% left at the end of a day.

    Suddenly 2 weeks ago the battery started draining really quickly & runs out by mid-afternoon. I have made sure the GPS is turned off I use wi-fi where possible, but still it has made no difference. Several re-boots etc & still no difference.

    Is it the battery?
    Is it the Pre3?
    Does any one have any ideas as to what might be the problem & how I can work out how to fix it?

    Thanks.

    Richard
    Usually If your Pre3 battery drains normally, then suddenly drains much faster, you need to remember when that problem start to happened, what you just done to your pre. Ie: install new apps, install / update patches. Hardware failure may possible, but I think we must check software first before conclude that is battery failure.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Usually If your Pre3 battery drains normally, then suddenly drains much faster, you need to remember when that problem start to happened, what you just done to your pre. Ie: install new apps, install / update patches. Hardware failure may possible, but I think we must check software first before conclude that is battery failure.
    The problem is that the battery only now has a capacity of 621mAh as opposed to the 1218 mAh it is supposed to have,

    Something has happened to the battery capacity dramatically & I am trying to work out what it is?

    I need a new battery now & there are none to be had.!
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  12. #12  
    what does health show in dr.battery?
    Run the batterytest from device info
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    what does health show in dr.battery?
    Run the batterytest from device info
    The battery health in Dr battery shows 51%.
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  14. #14  
    bad battery, where are new ones sold?
  15. #15  
    A sudden drop to 51% help is bad.

    I can see 2 possible explanations:
    a) Your battery really got messed up
    b) The readout is wrong. There were a few reports about the chip responsible for the battery (A6?) is sometimes providing wrong information.

    The second option sounds more likely to me - assuming your battery was exposed to some extreme of temperature or humidity.
    Try running it down entirely and then recharge and hope that this recalibrates the battery health data.

    I'm not an expert on this - just going by what I picked up about this.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    A sudden drop to 51% help is bad.

    I can see 2 possible explanations:
    a) Your battery really got messed up
    b) The readout is wrong. There were a few reports about the chip responsible for the battery (A6?) is sometimes providing wrong information.

    The second option sounds more likely to me - assuming your battery was exposed to some extreme of temperature or humidity.
    Try running it down entirely and then recharge and hope that this recalibrates the battery health data.

    I'm not an expert on this - just going by what I picked up about this.
    Thanks.

    I will run it down & recharge & see what happens.

    I hope that Mugen will make a replacement battery for the Pre 3, otherwise I won't be able to go far without a re-charge.
    Richard

    Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I can see 2 possible explanations:
    a) Your battery really got messed up
    b) The readout is wrong. There were a few reports about the chip responsible for the battery (A6?) is sometimes providing wrong information.

    The second option sounds more likely to me - assuming your battery was exposed to some extreme of temperature or humidity.
    Try running it down entirely and then recharge and hope that this recalibrates the battery health data.
    Actually I haven't seen a report where the readings of the chip (A6), and therefore dr.battery, are wrong. What I've seen where reports of wrong readings in webOS (system menu).
    This is the second report of a tosted battery in a "new" device. The first was a Veer.
    I also recommend to totally drain the battery until shutdown and then charge uninterrupted until true 100% (use dr.battery to find the spot, when the charging current goes negative).
    This may or may not recalibrate the battery chip.
  18. #18  
    I just heard from Mugen Power Batteries. They say the Pre 3 battery should be available in 3 weeks and the XL is coming in January!!
  19. #19  
    Can't wait! Wish they made a charger for it too.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  20. #20  
    +1 Same symptoms and similar sounding time frame.

    Pre3 just over two months old (on contract with Vodafone); no major mods or patches; mostly wifi on, mobile data and bluetooth off.

    A few days ago it started to drain very quickly (today gone from 100% to 40% in about 6 hours - installed two apps and made one call!). Dr Battery is showing about 50% health.

    I'll experiment with trying to recalibrate battery and may also hassle HP or supplier's support.

    Edit: mostly charging on the Touchstone. Not noticed the back getting exceptionally hot though warm on a couple of occasions. (This morning's charge was via cable though.)
    Last edited by SgtRitzik; 11/15/2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Further info added.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions