Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogber1
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  1.    #1  
    The unlock is ready and working:
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

--
    Hi guys,

I'm working on extending my free veer unlock to the pre3 (umts/4G as well as the vzw/world phone), and I need technically proficient people for testing. If you own a vzw pre3 and are comfortable with the command line interface, please drop me an email.

-d
    Last edited by dogber1; 11/11/2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarification
    Hi guys,

I'm working on extending my free veer unlock to the pre3 (umts/4G as well as the vzw/world phone), and I need technically proficient people for testing. If you own a vzw pre3 and are comfortable with the command line interface, please drop me an email.

-d
    I am relatively comfortable with CLI, and I have a VZW Pre 3. Let me know if I can help.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Sprint__________________________ GSM___ Verizon_________________
  3.    #3  
    I've put my unlock on my blog:
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

Thanks to MadManMoon for all the testing!

The VZW Pre3's have software limitations that render the GSM part inoperable when there is CDMA network reception.
    Great work dogbert
    from treo 180 to the Veer
  5.    #5  
    Version 1.4 can now unlock blocked Pre3 phones with the parameter "--writeBack".
    Thank you, great work. Excellent guide.
    Donated
    Thank you, great work. Excellent guide.
    Donated
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    I try --writeBack" command but not work pls help
    I am curious. If I buy an unlocked Pre 3 can I get it activated on Verizon? The Verizon Pre 3s are getting hard to come by and I want to buy a backup. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I am curious. If I buy an unlocked Pre 3 can I get it activated on Verizon? The Verizon Pre 3s are getting hard to come by and I want to buy a backup. Thanks for the help.
    No.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    No.
    The long answer is that Vzw is a CDMA operation... Yes, they do have a SIM slot, but that is meant for international travel. The Vzw Pre 3 is a CDMA World Phone.

They simply would not be able to activate a GSM Pre 3 on Verizon as it is missing the CDMA radio.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    The long answer is that Vzw is a CDMA operation... Yes, they do have a SIM slot, but that is meant for international travel. The Vzw Pre 3 is a CDMA World Phone.

They simply would not be able to activate a GSM Pre 3 on Verizon as it is missing the CDMA radio.
    The real question is if it really doesn't have CDMA. There's one way to try but it's not for the faint hearted and might brick the GSM Pre 3 so I would do it only if it's not useable anymore. You could flash the CDMA modem firmware on a GSM Pre 3 to test.

The reason why I'm saying this is because you can flash GSM modem firmware on a Verizon Pre 3. (I know this because I'm in GSM land and made the mistake of buying a useless CDMA Verizon Pre 3 and was able to flash the GSM modem firmware on it...) Might work the other way around as well, though not very likely.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/21/2013 at 01:07 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Would an unlocked Preł work on the Sprint network?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix