1.    #1  
    When I put my unlocked AT&T Pre3 on the Touchstone it will go into exhibition mode after a short time. This is when retiring for the night. A couple of hours later it wakes me up with a two tone beep and goes to the main screen. It may or may not return to exhibition mode but if it does it will again wake me up a short time later again going to the main screen. I have tried turning off WiFi and Data. I have also pushed the power button after the phone is on the Touchstone to make the screen black. It will always come alive an hour or two later with the two tone beep and the bright main screen. Can anyone tell me how to stop this?
    Second question. Is here no way that I can have a simple phone list of names and associated phone numbers? Somehow ( Not sure how as this is all very new territory for me ) my contact list is a partial list of my Gmail contacts. Most of them I do not even have a phone number for. I would prefer to just go to my Gmail and log in to use it. Like I do on my laptop. I know this is old school. I do not need to know instantly when someone e-mails me.
    Would really like to have a simple phone book that I manually add to or delete from. Not something that is Sync. with my Gmail.
    Thanks.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Go into Contacts Preferences and Accounts and select only your Palm Profile to sync with. Only time my Pre 3 goes into Exhibition mode is when Bluetooth is enabled.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Go into Contacts Preferences and Accounts and select only your Palm Profile to sync with. Only time my Pre 3 goes into Exhibition mode is when Bluetooth is enabled.
    I did not see an option to select only HP account to Sync. with. I did see my Google account. I simply deleted the Google account. Now says default account is "HP webOS Account"
    So, how do I create a simple phone list with names and numbers?

On the Exhibition mode. My Pre3 will go into exhibition mode just fine. Problem is in the middle of the night it exits exhibition mode with a two tone beep and lights up the main screen. ( Is that called the launcher screen?)
    Thanks
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Yeah, sorry, what I meant is to go into the "Accounts" app on your Pre 3 and tap each account and choose what you want to use the account for by on/off switches. As far as a simple account on your phone, you would have to delete contacts from the one account you have chosen for your Pre 3. What I meant about Exhibition mode, was that the only time it opens up on its own is when my Pre 3's bluetooth is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    On the Exhibition mode. My Pre3 will go into exhibition mode just fine. Problem is in the middle of the night it exits exhibition mode with a two tone beep and lights up the main screen. ( Is that called the launcher screen?)
    Thanks
    Is there a notification occurring that wakes up your device? Email, appointment, an app notification, etc.?

You can either disable notifications at the lock screen in Screen & Lock preferences, but this also impacts you when not on the Touchstone/in Exhibition. You're device will not display any notifications while locked (though it may still blink on the light bar...)

Alternatively you can do what I've done and installed Mode Switcher from Preware, and create a mode that only disables notifications between certain hours (i.e. overnight) and while on the Touchstone. Seems to be working pretty well, though i also had to disable the noise on charge as bumping my Pre 3 in the middle of the night caused a big racket on night with it being ever so slighty off the sweet spot; kept cycling in and out of charge modes, woke up the wife...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    For the nighttime problem:
    -turn the ringer switch to silent
    -lay the phone face down

If you're not concerned about missing calls at night, you could just turn the whole phone off. Problem solved.

If you want to be able to receive calls, go into Sound Settings and turn off or down everything but the ringer. And lay the phone face down on your nightstand/desk/whatever.

For your simple contact list:
    Use the notepad. It recognizes when a string of numbers is a phone number. (The number will turn blue and be underlined.) Tap it and the phone app will pop up with the number. Just tap the green phone bar to dial it.
    Last edited by katefields; 11/04/2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Is the sound that your pre3 is making on the touchstone a "bing-bong" sound? If it is then i am experiencing the same problem. From what i understand it has to do with the coils in the touchstone itself, they are too close or not in the right position, something of the sort. How i get around it is that i put a little cloth over my touchstone when i have my pre3 on it, the magnets will still attract and it fixes the problem for me.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, sorry, what I meant is to go into the "Accounts" app on your Pre 3 and tap each account and choose what you want to use the account for by on/off switches. As far as a simple account on your phone, you would have to delete contacts from the one account you have chosen for your Pre 3. What I meant about Exhibition mode, was that the only time it opens up on its own is when my Pre 3's bluetooth is on.
    Thanks. My blue tooth is always off so that is not what is going on.
    So, I can't just have a simple phone book on my phone? I have to have it associated with some type of account? Is that what people mean wen they say " In the Cloud"?
    Be patient folks. This is all Greek to me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Is there a notification occurring that wakes up your device? Email, appointment, an app notification, etc.?

You can either disable notifications at the lock screen in Screen & Lock preferences, but this also impacts you when not on the Touchstone/in Exhibition. You're device will not display any notifications while locked (though it may still blink on the light bar...)

Alternatively you can do what I've done and installed Mode Switcher from Preware, and create a mode that only disables notifications between certain hours (i.e. overnight) and while on the Touchstone. Seems to be working pretty well, though i also had to disable the noise on charge as bumping my Pre 3 in the middle of the night caused a big racket on night with it being ever so slighty off the sweet spot; kept cycling in and out of charge modes, woke up the wife...
    No, no notifications or other thigs taht might wake the Pre up. I have everything disabled.
    I was able to install preware using WEBOSQI. That was a triumph in itself for me. I will check out Mode Switcher. On the sweet spot theory. I was wondering if the phone could very slowly slide on the Touchstone and cause it to come alive. It is not a perfect fit.
    Thanks for your reply
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    For the nighttime problem:
    -turn the ringer switch to silent
    -lay the phone face down

If you're not concerned about missing calls at night, you could just turn the whole phone off. Problem solved.

If you want to be able to receive calls, go into Sound Settings and turn off or down everything but the ringer. And lay the phone face down on your nightstand/desk/whatever.

For your simple contact list:
    Use the notepad. It recognizes when a string of numbers is a phone number. (The number will turn blue and be underlined.) Tap it and the phone app will pop up with the number. Just tap the green phone bar to dial it.
    Thanks for your reply. I have done the things you suggest in regards to waking me at night. Yes, they all work. However, the phone is off the Touchstone and not charging. I really would like to be able to use the Touchstone.
    On the phone list. This sounds exactly like what I have been wanting to do. Something simple. I will be attempting to put some contacts into notepad tonight when I have some free time. Wonder if voice dial will work with it. Soon to find out.
    Thank you
    I never use my Contacts App, never, when I need to call, text or email someone I just flip down the keyboard and use the "just type" search feature. Just start typing their name and when they come up just tap the phone number, 100 times easier.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Is the sound that your pre3 is making on the touchstone a "bing-bong" sound? If it is then i am experiencing the same problem. From what i understand it has to do with the coils in the touchstone itself, they are too close or not in the right position, something of the sort. How i get around it is that i put a little cloth over my touchstone when i have my pre3 on it, the magnets will still attract and it fixes the problem for me.
    Yes it is two separate tones. I think the second one is a bit higher pitch than the first.
    One of my suspicions had to do with the Touchstone. I was thinking that possibly the poor fit was causing it. I did remove the plastic trim ring that encircles the Touchstone in an attempt to get a better fit between the phone and TS.
    I will try the cloth on TS approach.
    Thank you
  13.    #13  
    I never use my Contacts App, never, when I need to call, text or email someone I just flip down the keyboard and use the "just type" search feature. Just start typing their name and when they come up just tap the phone number, 100 times easier.
    Ok, but I must have a Data Base of names and phone numbers somewhere for the "Just Type" feature to access. Right? Perhas the idea of putting them on Notepad will work with just type.
    You don't have any phone numbers in any of your other accounts that you can activate or in your Palm account?
  15.    #15  
    Tried the cloth on the Touchstone and it worked. Will see if it continues to work. Thank you Krab19

Katefields,
    Also used the Memo ( No notepad on my phone ) and that seems to work as well. Only problem would be getting the entries alphabetized. Would be nice if it would do it for ypu automatically. In Memo whatever is entered will just follow the previous entry. I can set the cursor and hit enter to make a space for a new entry to place it in correct alphabetical order, but I am lazy I guess.
    On the cursor. Anyone know of a way to move it using the keypad without deleting or moving text that is already in place? Like the forward and back arrows on a computer.
    Thanks
  16.    #16  
    OK,
    I think figured this contact thing out. Duh!!
    I enter the contact. It is stored in my HP Profile? The Cloud? The information is not stored using some of the on board phone memory?
    I can access the contacts by opening contacts, voice dial or by doing the Just Type thing.
    Is this correct?
    Thanks everyone