1.    #1  
    So it begins with my Pre 3 - no sound.

Anybody else having this problem - solutions????

I jog every morning and use the standard Palm wired headset. Over time, this would kill my sound on my Palm Pre (-).

Any thoughts?
    So what exactly is happening? Just randomly no audio at all? This has not happened to me on my Pre 3.

Have you tried the Pulse Audio Restarter from Preware?
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    So what exactly is happening? Just randomly no audio at all? This has not happened to me on my Pre 3.

Have you tried the Pulse Audio Restarter from Preware?
    Thanks for the idea - I just installed it and it didn't work.

NO sound at all. Nothing, no ringer, nothing.

Sucks.

Any other ideas?
    Do you have sound from the headphones?

What about talking to other people on the phone, can they hear you etc.?
    I sent mine off for repair and had the same problem, I attached my headphones (that have a mic) and had a conversation on the phone... I then took them out and restarted the phone and it seemed to do the trick.
    Your phone is stuck in headset mode. Look inside your headset hole and squint as hard as you can and find the little golden switch that pops out of the side. Then take a pin and hit it over and over until your phone comes out of Headset mode. Barbaric, but it works (sometimes).

If this doesn't work there is an app called "ghost headset" or something. Search for it and what the app does is force your phone out of headset mode.

Edit:

Search for "Ghastly headset".
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This has happens on all 3 of my webOS devices (TouchPad, Veer, and Pre3). Other than restarting the phone, I have yet to find a fix.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtprec View Post
    This has happens on all 3 of my webOS devices (TouchPad, Veer, and Pre3). Other than restarting the phone, I have yet to find a fix.
    One more reset did it.

What a pain!

THANKS everybody for that the help.

Hopefully this thread will serve as help for those that come after us....
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    So it begins with my Pre 3 - no sound.

Anybody else having this problem - solutions????

I jog every morning and use the standard Palm wired headset. Over time, this would kill my sound on my Palm Pre (-).

Any thoughts?
    That happened to me on my first day with the Pre 3... suddenly there was no sound, no on-screen volume controls, no vibrate, no audio of any kind at all, period. Freaked out! I thought the hardware was bad... I rebooted to no effect. Then I started uninstalling patches... which also had no effect and finally uninstalled Uberkernel, rebooted yet again and finally got the audio back. I realized that for me the issue is 100% related to using my primary bluetooth headset which is a brand new Plantronics Voyager Pro HD. I also have three other Plantronics Voyager Pros (not the HD model)... all paired to the Pre 3 and my Touchpad. I noticed something interesting which was the the older Voyager Pros show up in the bluetooth pairing list as mono bluetooth single-ear headsets whereas the Voyager Pro HD shows up as a set of stereo headphones. I have lost the audio on the Pre 3 either after freshly turning on the Voyager Pro HD when it auto-connects to the Pre 3 or when turning the Voyager Pro HD off. There is definitely something to it. I haven't pinned it down 100% yet, but every time it happens I get a little closer. It has only happened to me three times so far - and only when Uberkernel was installed. It hasn't happened again for me since the last time I uninstalled Uberkernel, so it may be the combination of that plus the headset. IMO, Uberkernel on my Pre 3 introduces a lot of undesirable laggy behavior. When it's installed, I noticed the core gets hosed frequently - sometimes even immediately following a reboot. My Pre 3 works so much better and reliably without it. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Your phone is stuck in headset mode.
    Nope. Even if it was in "headset mode" the volume controls would work and the ringer switch would have an effect. When this happens on my Pre 3, there is absolutely no audio or vibration, the volume controls do nothing (there is no on-screen graphic for the volume at this point either), and the ring/vibrate switch has no effect at all (again, no on-screen graphics either). It's like the entire audio subsystem is out to lunch, including even the way the OS reads the physical controls. This happened to me three times and I've never used a wired headset, only bluetooth - so I am convinced it has nothing to do with the audio jack. See my previous post for more details.
    Problems with the state of your audio stack would vanish after reboot.

Hasn't happened on my Pre3 yet. I very rarely use the wired headset jack.
    I connect a BT (mono) headset on most workdays and also switch on/off the mute button at least once per day.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I am having the same problem after switching my phone to the headset profile it cannot be re-shifted to the normal profile, i have to restart the phone to switch to the general profile.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    activated 2 new Pre3's today on H2O for me and wife. hers working perfectly, mine has no sound from the speaker. I can hear phone calls, but not if it's on speaker. no music, no ringtones, no system sounds, etc. i can listen to music with headphones. i do not think it's stuck in headset mode because when i unplug the headset, the music pauses so I think it's recognizing the headset is unplugged. i have restarted it a few times. fixes??
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    fixed my audio problems. As I was playing around with it I noticed when I push near the speaker, it would work. A well placed small piece of paper applies enough pressure to make it work.
    I had this once before and now again:
    Quote Originally Posted by jayteeee View Post
    suddenly there was no sound, no on-screen volume controls, no vibrate, no audio of any kind at all, period.
    First time I uninstalled ‹berkernel and it was working again for a couple of months.
    This time it happens again. I have not used any other sound target (bluetooth or headset).

First time I thought it could be some hardware (volume control buttons and mute switch)
    But in the logfile I can see they trigger.
    ...webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 597.963317] gpio-keys: volume up button pressed
    ...webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 598.183166] gpio-keys: volume up button released
    ...webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 601.113159] gpio-keys: volume down button pressed
    ...webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 601.363189] gpio-keys: volume down button released

Again as jayteeee said: there is no on-screen controls, no vibrate no mute sign by turning the mute switch on and off.
    In the log I can see this:
    ...webos-device kern.err kernel: [ 270.498443] [adsp.c:adsp_rtos_read_ctrl_word_cmd_tast_to_h_v] module AUDPREPROCTASK is not open
    Hi Somline,

Were you by any chance using the voice dialer just prior to the sound outtage? It seems to happen especially after either purposely using or accidentially triggering voice dial... uberkernel or not. So now I don't voice dial anymore and I haven't seen the issue except the few times I accidentially trigger voice dial with my bluetooth headset. A full restart of the phone fixes the issue. I wonder if that "AUDPREPROCTASK" crashes with voice dial?

As major of an issue as this is, I'm not holding my breath for this to be fixed.
    Last edited by jayteeee; 01/31/2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayteeee View Post
    Hi Somline,

Were you by any chance using the voice dialer just prior to the sound outtage? It seems to happen especially after either purposely using or accidentially triggering voice dial... uberkernel or not. So now I don't voice dial anymore and I haven't seen the issue except the few times I accidentially trigger voice dial with my bluetooth headset. A full restart of the phone fixes the issue. I wonder if that "AUDPREPROCTASK" crashes with voice dial?

As major of an issue as this is, I'm not holding my breath for this to be fixed.
    Thanks for reply.
    No, no voice dialer. Nothing regarding sound. I really haven't use anything regarding sound.
    Just an update:
    I've tried erase and secure erase without success. But after doctoring the sound works again.
    Remember I'm talking about "no sound, no on-screen volume controls, no vibrate, no audio of any kind at all"
    Now it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc25mc View Post
    fixed my audio problems. As I was playing around with it I noticed when I push near the speaker, it would work. A well placed small piece of paper applies enough pressure to make it work.
    That worked for me too!!