Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had a very strange discovery. When I charge the pre3 with touchstone and then use the unit it discharges a lot faster than when I hardwire charge it. The difference is very significant under the same usage. Has anyone else experienced this ? Or do I have a faulty touchstone ? I run uberkernel with Govnah (ondemand, low freq 248).
    This is true for me also. Stock kernel. I have three touchstones and have not yet tested the other two, but I will soon.
    I have been using touchstone chargers at home/car now for almost 2 1/2 years now with my Sprint Pre and now my Pre 3 and have never come across this issue. When your battery reads 100% it's ah, 100%.
    I never have such problem. Or maybe the heat problem caused by touchstone? Each time I finished charged my pre using touchstone, I need to make it cool down a bit. Some way to do that. Make it in idle state, or turn off the data connection for a while. If your battery heat still persist, you may turn off you pre for several minutes till it cooled down, then turn it on again.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Some people with Pre 3's in here claim better battery life with the uberkernel installed, I've tried it on my Pre 3 and no matter what setting I use, my Pre uses 6% an hour at idle and with the stock kernel it uses around 1% per hour at idle. I have never charged my Pre's with a wire, always with touchstones.
    It's true!!!

It must be, as my phone was ok, lasted a day at work without problems, though I did find the need to switch data off for more battery life.

BUT I for a few days started using the Touchstone charger, it seemed all charged up but with mostly standby with one short phone call it'd run out of battery before the end of an 8 hour shift at work!! Diabolical!!!

I was perplexed, so I tried switching it to 2g only etc but same.

Then I read this post this morning and charged my phone up with the normal plug in cable and it is all fine! After a shift at work, a few phone games, bit of browsing and a few longish phone calls during an 8 hour shift at work I'm down to 60% battery!!!

Wow! What a difference!

I think it may have something to do with the fact that the TS charger is quite warm and the warmth and heat screws battery up perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have been using touchstone chargers at home/car now for almost 2 1/2 years now with my Sprint Pre and now my Pre 3 and have never come across this issue. When your battery reads 100% it's ah, 100%.
    I am with you, many devices, the only change in battery life is the devices themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by le_risque View Post
    It's true!!!

It must be, as my phone was ok, lasted a day at work without problems, though I did find the need to switch data off for more battery life.

BUT I for a few days started using the Touchstone charger, it seemed all charged up but with mostly standby with one short phone call it'd run out of battery before the end of an 8 hour shift at work!! Diabolical!!!

Then I read this post this morning and charged my phone up with the normal plug in cable and it is all fine! After a shift at work, a few phone games, bit of browsing and a few longish phone calls during an 8 hour shift at work I'm down to 60% battery!!!

Wow! What a difference!

I think it may have something to do with the fact that the TS charger is quite warm and the warmth and heat screws battery up perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!
    If you are seeing the same battery life with 4g on as you are seeing with 2g forced, this isn't the TS, there is something wrong with your phone.

Technically charging via TS should really result in any more heat than with a micro usb (other than you may get less air circulation from where the TS hits), so it's not the heat from TS causing the issue you are seeing.

2 plus years of webOS and I haven't seen this issue.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm using uber-kernel on my Pre3, the battery really awesome, as long as I set the email sync to 30 minutes. In Idle state, my pre 3 will last more then a day. I think it will last around 1.5 day.
    If anything its the heat that Touchstone charging produces. Li-ion batteries hate heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am with you, many devices, the only change in battery life is the devices themselves.

If you are seeing the same battery life with 4g on as you are seeing with 2g forced, this isn't the TS, there is something wrong with your phone.

Technically charging via TS should really result in any more heat than with a micro usb (other than you may get less air circulation from where the TS hits), so it's not the heat from TS causing the issue you are seeing.

2 plus years of webOS and I haven't seen this issue.
    I never said I'm seeing the same battery life with 4g and 2g forced, I said I tend to have data off to save battery normally, but do switch it on to use the web or check emails.

When my battery was draining like a rat down a drainpipe whilst using the ts to charge I tried forcing 2g to see if it helped SAVE battery, but it didn't make much of a difference.
    Nowt wrong with my phone.

My battery was as fine as expected before I started usin the ts and is now fine as expected from a pre3's life now I'm no longer using the ts.

Now this battery problem whilst using the ts to charge seems to be a common problem, it might be a dodgy batch of ts docks?

Either way it's made a difference to me so thanks fr the heads up again
    And I was getting a hot ts and phone whilst using the ts. On the normal wired plug in charger there's no excess heat.
    Interesting. I wonder if the imperfect seating of the Pre3 on the touchstones has anything to do with the heat buildup.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if the imperfect seating of the Pre3 on the touchstones has anything to do with the heat buildup.
    I get no more heat than I ever have from a webOS device, either on TS or plugged in.

I have used both Palm and VZW car chargers, official Palm chargers, generic micro usb cables off a PC, official Palm cable off the PC. Never seen a noticeable change in temp.

The only time I have ever had a noticeable change in temp was BT streaming Slacker radio while charging. This would have been BT radio, 3G radio, and battery heat.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I never said I'm seeing the same battery life with 4g and 2g forced,
    This is what you said in the post I quoted and was responding to.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but when you said you tried switching to 2g and got the "same", I took it to mean you got the same battery usage as on 4G.

I still am going with something wrong with your phone and/or TS. I own 7 or 8 phone touchstones purchased at various times, I have had 1 defective one, but it was defective to the point of causing the charge "bounce", was exchanged and has been fine. We have used TS with nearly every webOS device produced and never experienced this issue on any of them.

A great example I can use that this is not the touchstone technology is my TouchPad. Our TouchPads are charged almost solely by TS, after 5+ hours off the charger yesterday, WiFi on when sleeping, 2 push e-mail accounts, facebook notifications on, and google 2 google calendars syncing, with a sketchy public wifi signal... still at 100%.

For anyone having worse battery life when charging on TS, any chance you have the charge alert disabled? Also check out the thread below, it is a Pre2 thread, but a strange TS issue that nobody has been able to replicate.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-bouncing.html

Are these ATT Pre3's or EU versions?
    A great example I can use that this is not the touchstone technology is my TouchPad. Our TouchPads are charged almost solely by TS, after 5+ hours off the charger yesterday, WiFi on when sleeping, 2 push e-mail accounts, facebook notifications on, and google 2 google calendars syncing, with a sketchy public wifi signal... still at 100%.

For anyone having worse battery life when charging on TS, any chance you have the charge alert disabled? Also check out the thread below, it is a Pre2 thread, but a strange TS issue that nobody has been able to replicate.

You know, I have been keeping track of certain variables and it is looking like I get abnormal battery drain in standby when I charge my Touchpad with the Touchstone. Basically, I can turn wifi off, put it in standby for 7 hours while I sleep, and sometimes I wake up to a 30% battery drain. Going back and comparing variables in my spreadsheet, charging with the Touchstone seems to be the culprit. Either that or a crazy coincidence.

ps that link you had posted, I had that happen once so far. Put my TP on the 'stone, checked on it periodically, at one point it had stopped charging. The Touchpad was still seated correctly, it did not slip off. I had to lift it up and re-seat it and it started charging again. I believe I read about this happening to someone else as well.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I get no more heat than I ever have from a webOS device, either on TS or plugged in.

I have used both Palm and VZW car chargers, official Palm chargers, generic micro usb cables off a PC, official Palm cable off the PC. Never seen a noticeable change in temp.

The only time I have ever had a noticeable change in temp was BT streaming Slacker radio while charging. This would have been BT radio, 3G radio, and battery heat.
    If anything, I have less heat buildup in the Pre 3 and I use TS charging in the house and in the car.
    The other thing I thought of, are you folks pulling phone (or TP) off TS when it shows 100%?

Only asking because ninjagrrl mentioned leaving the TP off charger all night. If you are pulling off TS when the item shows 100%, you are using it wrong.
    I think my ts is buggered as it gets really hot. Perhaps it's a problem with a dodgy ts batch.

My phone is top notch in regards battery life now I'm using the wired charger.

Thanks to the guy who started this thread as its solved my problem and gave me an invaluable clue as to a solution and cause.

So we cannot discount a dodgy batch of ts as I'm not the only one with this problem and apparent cause.

It'd be interesting to note ts serial numbers and see if they've been produced in batches and see if certain ones show this excess heat and cause battery to drain fast
    Not sure if this is a relevant thread...

Should a TS work if connected to a computer? I can only seem to get mine to work when connected to mains.
    It would only have a chance of working if the computer can supply a 1 amp power output (for phones, 2A for touchpad), which is beyond even the USB 3.0 specs. Doesn't mean there aren't boards that can do it - the motherboard I'm using right now has "fast charge" technology on it's front USB ports, which are capable of delivering a 1A current to devices that are capable of signalling for it. But it's not really super common.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast