Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I'm here thinking about what type of phone to get next. I depend on my phone a lot and I've bounced around from iOS to WebOS to Android then a quick stop at Windows Phone 7,then WebOS again and now I'm back to Android. Originally I was going to hold out for the iPhone 4S , but when that launched, the upgrades from the iPhone 4 were minimal so I've been waiting.

The rest of my technology is all Apple based, but I've been bringing an iPod touch with me as a 2nd device, and so far I'm loving how it is working out. I've got Wi-Fi everywhere I go(I live on a college campus), so the iPod is connected just about as much as a phone. And I have two batteries so I'm not running out of phone juice just to listen to music.

So the big question is should I grab an unlocked/AT&T brand HP Pre 3? Their cheap for the hardware, no doubt, and honestly I don't overly depend on apps and if I need anything, I'll have my iPod. I know this is a slightly biased forum(as any forum based around one company would be, but there community isn't blindly following HP/Palm), but I'd love to get some thoughts.

Also does the battery from Pre/Pre2/Pixi fit in the Pre 3?(I have quite a few and I'd love to have back ups for my Pre 3 if I end up going down that road)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
    So I'm here thinking about what type of phone to get next. I depend on my phone a lot and I've bounced around from iOS to WebOS to Android then a quick stop at Windows Phone 7,then WebOS again and now I'm back to Android. Originally I was going to hold out for the iPhone 4S , but when that launched, the upgrades from the iPhone 4 were minimal so I've been waiting.

The rest of my technology is all Apple based, but I've been bringing an iPod touch with me as a 2nd device, and so far I'm loving how it is working out. I've got Wi-Fi everywhere I go(I live on a college campus), so the iPod is connected just about as much as a phone. And I have two batteries so I'm not running out of phone juice just to listen to music.

So the big question is should I grab an unlocked/AT&T brand HP Pre 3? Their cheap for the hardware, no doubt, and honestly I don't overly depend on apps and if I need anything, I'll have my iPod. I know this is a slightly biased forum(as any forum based around one company would be, but there community isn't blindly following HP/Palm), but I'd love to get some thoughts.

Also does the battery from Pre/Pre2/Pixi fit in the Pre 3?(I have quite a few and I'd love to have back ups for my Pre 3 if I end up going down that road)

Thanks
    To answer a few of your questions. The battery's from the pre 2 won't fit in the pre 3. They are a totally different battery.

As far as the phone goes only you will be able to determine that. I myself went with the pre 3 because I already know the OS and I have Touchstone chargers that will work with it. I also have purchased apps that will port over to it. To me it was just easier to get the pre 3 planing on keeping it for another year or two then look at what is available then. Perhaps there will be something that really stands out down the road. I'm hopping that Blackberry's BBX software is really nice when it comes out.
    you can always get an iPhone, but a Pre3 is once in a lifetime, so I recommend you grab one.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you can always get an iPhone, but a Pre3 is once in a lifetime, so I recommend you grab one.
    +1
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    IMHO the Pre3 is a great phone.
    The only thing where Iphone can beat it is with apps.

If apps don't worry you - then get it.

Battery is not interchangable with any other phone.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    mrkalel likes this.
    I'm staying positive here, the Pre 3 is an awesome phone and a nice transition phone to the next generation webOS device whoever it will be that makes it
    if you have the latest ipod touch (the one with retina display) and don't mind carrying that with you along with your phone, go for it, the pre 3 is the best webos out. Just be aware you'll probably still end up using your ipod more often than your pre, but you'll also get a full keyboard for text messaging and you can also tether your pre with the ipod if there is no wifi available.

I personally love this (I carry an iphone and pre 3). The webos experience is very enjoyable, especially on the pre 3, but it still has some shortcomings when compared to the iphone.

I have also tried every other platform available (check my pre 3 review) and still feel webos is the best of the bunch with ios a close second, and windows a distant third.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I love my pre3. Far from perfect (no google maps, no ndrive (yet) RAM issues) but my favorite webos phone by far. If you still love webos I recommend it since you have an idea of what you will experience. If you want a phone that has all the apps everyone else on their ios or android phones have then stay away.

I love the keyboard, camera, mic placement, skype video chat, free tethering and 4G HSPA+. Feels very solid as it should have been all along.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Definitely get the Pre3, now is the best time to buy as HP is not making or selling any more, so the price is as low as it will go. The AT&T or Europe unlocked models are both good.

The Pre3 batteries are a different size than the Pre/Pre2 batteries, but also HP didn't seem to make any extra Pre3 batteries so no one can get spares except for buying a 2nd Pre3, so be aware of that. But the Pre/Pre2 Touchstone charger works with the Pre3.

webOS is the best mobile device operating system. What was HP thinking???
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    ^Not to get off track, but there are spare batteries available. They are official HP branded Pre 3 batteries for sale on ebay. I bought one and it's genuine, has no issues, and I'm glad to have paid $50.00 for it. The Pre 3 is so good that I bought two. There won't be farewells here anytime soon.
    Now, what you are doing w/ your ipod, I am doing w/ my pre3. I have decided to use it as a Wi-Fi only device. Granted I had to pay a few bucks to get the sim card working & i'll use it as a back up phone if I really need it spending the minimum possible

But my goal is to use it as a skype phone, instant messaging, etc.. The other day, for the first time in my life I probably carried a 2 hour convo straight up on AIM (who uses aim right) but seriously, W/ out needing a computer and without taking a total long time responding.

What am I saying? well, the keyboard is PERFECTION! I am not great at the touchscreen keyboards as none of them ever seem to be perfect enough (including the iphone/ipad) and the old Pre the buttons were to close together, and the screen was just to small.

In my opinion, the pre3 is just perfect for just about anything.
    I also have a Pre 3 and an iPod Touch which I carry them everywhere. iPod touch is mainly for whatsapp messaging, some multiplayer games, and testing IOS stuff. I love my Pre 3. It is certainly the best WebOS phone. I have two issues with the current build, number one is "Too much cards error" and number two is "caller ID matching". These are ignoring, but I am baring with it. I hope there is an update to fix this soon.
    IT'S JUST A DANG PHONE!!!! LOL.
    If you're really curious about Pre3, go for it. You'll put up with lack up updates, bugs, and virtually no apps but if you want the Pre3 experience, then join the rest of the webOS faithful. As Cantaffordit mentioned, you can always go iphone.

That said, if the rest of my gadgets were already apple, I'd probably get an Iphone... and this is coming from a big apple hater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Well its twice in a life time for me lol or thrice !! i have 3 !! ill be using webos for as long as possible !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    ^Not to get off track, but there are spare batteries available. They are official HP branded Pre 3 batteries for sale on ebay. I bought one and it's genuine, has no issues, and I'm glad to have paid $50.00 for it. The Pre 3 is so good that I bought two. There won't be farewells here anytime soon.
    @ehosey2: Thanks for letting us know about Pre3 batteries on eBay. Can you provide a link? I just did a "pre 3 battery" search on eBay and it doesn't find any.
    so many damn quotes its out of control. Everyone is right, webOS 2.2.3 is amazing. the battery works for almost 2 days for me. (40 hrs with no charge and light/moderate usage) skype is amazing,.. camera, video, apps yes, its scarce, but i dont need apps for my phone. Email is amazing, **** everyone always says, NO SUPPORT, BUGS.. blah blah blah.. bugs? where? issues? where? my verizon pre3 is perfect, has no problems, and is the best phone i have ever owned. easily. So get one. its worth every penny. I spent 600, and now that i have had it for 3 weeks, i would have paid more knowing how amazing it is now.

just get it. stop asking questions, stop worrying, get it, update it with DR to 2.2.3, get preware, put on the necessary stuff, uber, and battery monitor, led torch, systools mgr, all the good stuff everyone has talked about 1000 times in other posts, and enjoy it. i have enjoyed it.. and now that skype works 100%, shizzle. this thing is sexy. ON my 3g, skype works 100% clear, perfect.. and .. mmm so sexy..

JUST GET IT
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I love my pre3. Far from perfect (no google maps,
    While I think Google Maps is better than Bing Maps - the Bing Map works fine too.

Plus Google Maps *is* available through their mobile site - just save a shortcut to that - voila.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    While I think Google Maps is better than Bing Maps - the Bing Map works fine too.

Plus Google Maps *is* available through their mobile site - just save a shortcut to that - voila.
    I just tried this and keep getting a "this protocol is not supported" message. The maps show up but don't work right, if I double tap or pinch to zoom it doesn't zoom on the map, I also can't pan the map either.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    The maps show up but don't work right, if I double tap or pinch to zoom it doesn't zoom on the map, I also can't pan the map either.
    Those limitations were stated in this link (see Ozpeter's post). Maybe they'll be addressed, maybe not. How does that mobile site work on other devices (Android, iOS)?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I only read a couple of the other posts, so bear with me if I'm sounding a little like a broken record.

Android ICS to me is what webOS could have eventually been. I was running a Pre- for about a year and a half before switching up to a Pre2. It died on me about a week ago, so I went into Best Buy and picked up a Nexus S 4G. It is not the newest phone, but what really intrigued me was that there was already a port to ICS available (very beta) and that Google had already out and out announced they would be supporting it with ICS. I didn't want bloatware, and I didn't want a skin. I ran Gingerbread for a day, and while the interface was bearable it was no webOS. After that I flashed ICS onto it, and there was so much webOS in it I felt right at home. Cards are there (hold down the home button, and open apps appear) everything is synced into the People app. It's like Palm made a "skin" for Android. I miss the gesture bar, and the easier to navigate OS, yes, but if I were to choose right now between a Nexus S (a year old phone) and a brand new Pre3, I would pick my Nexus.

Just my $.02
    Sapient2k7 and m-h-k like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast