10/29/2011, 10:06 PM
I have been experimenting for the last couple of weeks with my AT&T Pre 3 on getting rid of all of the AT&T bloatware. For those of us who are not using AT&T, it's just taking up space (minimal), looks ugly, and just puts options on the device I know I will never use. I like my devices clean of this sort of filth, including:
- AT&T Navigator (pay service)
- Amazon MP3 store
- AT&T Address Book Sync (in Accounts preferences)
I have two removal methods which I will document. Both are about 95+% complete, and as I learn/tinker away a little more, I hope to make the purge complete. They work fine as is, but just have one or two niggling little things I haven't yet figured out how to rid myself of. There is also a simple Hide method which just hides them out of the Launcher (thanks for the idea ceveret3!).
In this post I will document the Patch method, and in the next post I will document then elegant solution. This method is a little ugly, but works. It is a better option if you already are up and running and don't want to go through the effort of the elegant solution. The more elegant solution is a modified Meta Doctor which has the added advantage of adding Skype and opening up additional languages without resorting to swapping the wr.tar for the att.tar which can cause some problems. I prefer that method overall as it makes for a lot less work after I doctor my device since the bloat is never loaded in the first place.
DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for your use of these patches/instructions but will support/assist where I can. I have tested them several times on my own device and they work fine. If all of this sounds too complex for you, then don't bother. The bloatware doesn't really impact your device much, I just personally want it gone. Install at your own risk! You can always roll back with a Doctor.
Patch & Delete method:
- Works on existing, up and running devices (no need to completely reconfigure after a Doctor)
- Has Voice Dialling (currently an issue with the elegant method)
- Entry in Music app for Amazon MP3 remains, but is unclickable at least
- should be fixed now: YPmobile is still listed in Just Type as an available App Search, though you can delete it from your list
- Patches (attached, might put in Preware)
- Internalz Pro in Master mode
- An AT&T Pre 3 running 2.2.3. This is not designed for any other device, though theoretically it could work on other AT&T branded devices.
1) Copy patches to your Pre 3 via USB mode and apply using Internalz Pro OR install using WOSQI. Restart Luna or whole device
2) Open Launcher, and delete AT&T Navigator, YPmobile, AT&T Sync Panel, and Amazon MP3
3) Launch Internalz Pro
4) Navigate to and delete the following directories:
5) Launch Impostah
6) Go to System Prefs scene, System Preference Overrides and set the override for the following two preferences to blank:
7) Not sure if this is absolutely required using this method, but just in case, I prefer to be in control (and wait for a Doctor)... Disable the Update Daemon
8) Restart the device
9) Type something into the Just Type bar, then scroll down to Preferences. Delete the YPmobile entry if it is still there.
Voila! Other than the non-functional Amazon MP3 reference in the Music app, you should be free of all AT&T gunk. There are some contacts that are loaded by default, but you shouldn't need instructions on getting rid of those...
Let me know if any of you bother doing this and how it works for you. Just trying to give a little back to the community.
Hide Patch method:
See post #9
Update (10/30/2011): Tweaked YPmobile patch, which should remove or at least disable universal search entry