webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HOW TO: Purge the bloatware from your AT&T Pre 3
HOW TO: Purge the bloatware from your AT&T Pre 3
Like Tree1Likes

Old 12/20/2011, 11:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

These patches aren't working for me on webOS 2.2.4. Can you please update them?
cbosdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 11:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

I agree! Would like them to work on 2.2.4 also. Not even on AT&T and dont wanna bother metadoctoring them out.
DanielD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 01:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
What's wrong with removing the carrier programs like YPmobile using the command ipkg remove (package name) ? I just did that instead.
That's the method I use for root installed applications too. It's really simple. One script could be written to run the command for each application and then restart luna when done. Need to know the original ipk file names but those can be had from the doctors and they are stored somewhere in the OS too.

Why reinvent the wheel?

TTB
Old 03/30/2012, 12:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

i used this to my veer 4g, and it worked.
cept for the patch for the yp ( i had to delete the folder) and some hassle with attsync, they all worked.
the att sync i din't have an icon, after running the patch an icon appeared, deleted thru the iconbut after a reboot it came back... deleted the folder like yp.
thanks!
padula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 11:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Anyone have the package names for AT&T bloat to be removed ?
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 07:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Use a terminal or novacom terminal to type commands

to remove Navigation app

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.telenav.attnavigation

to remove yellowpages app.

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload

to remove amazon music store

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.palm.app.amazonstore

more info here to find and remove ipkg

What is AT&T "Vanilla" for the Pre3 and why is there no 2.2.4 version?
Thanked By: slight9
Old 12/17/2012, 08:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Can't you just install the non-ATT unlocked WebOS version? I know that I can use either one with Straight Talk. I initially used the ATT firmware, and went to the Unlocked version for exactly this reason once I determined that there was no way that ATT navigator would ever work anyway (Navit + Google Maps fills the need quite nicely now).
Old 01/11/2013, 09:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
Hello all,

I have been experimenting for the last couple of weeks with my AT&T Pre 3 on getting rid of all of the AT&T bloatware. For those of us who are not using AT&T, it's just taking up space (minimal), looks ugly, and just puts options on the device I know I will never use. I like my devices clean of this sort of filth, including:
- AT&T Navigator (pay service)
- YPmobile
- Amazon MP3 store
- AT&T Address Book Sync (in Accounts preferences)

I have two removal methods which I will document. Both are about 95+% complete, and as I learn/tinker away a little more, I hope to make the purge complete. They work fine as is, but just have one or two niggling little things I haven't yet figured out how to rid myself of. There is also a simple Hide method which just hides them out of the Launcher (thanks for the idea ceveret3!).

In this post I will document the Patch method, and in the next post I will document then elegant solution. This method is a little ugly, but works. It is a better option if you already are up and running and don't want to go through the effort of the elegant solution. The more elegant solution is a modified Meta Doctor which has the added advantage of adding Skype and opening up additional languages without resorting to swapping the wr.tar for the att.tar which can cause some problems. I prefer that method overall as it makes for a lot less work after I doctor my device since the bloat is never loaded in the first place.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for your use of these patches/instructions but will support/assist where I can. I have tested them several times on my own device and they work fine. If all of this sounds too complex for you, then don't bother. The bloatware doesn't really impact your device much, I just personally want it gone. Install at your own risk! You can always roll back with a Doctor.

Patch & Delete method:
Pros:
- Works on existing, up and running devices (no need to completely reconfigure after a Doctor)
- Has Voice Dialling (currently an issue with the elegant method)

Issues:
- Entry in Music app for Amazon MP3 remains, but is unclickable at least
- should be fixed now: YPmobile is still listed in Just Type as an available App Search, though you can delete it from your list

Requirements:
- Patches (attached, might put in Preware)
- Internalz Pro in Master mode
- WOSQI
- Impostah
- An AT&T Pre 3 running 2.2.3. This is not designed for any other device, though theoretically it could work on other AT&T branded devices.

Instructions:
1) Copy patches to your Pre 3 via USB mode and apply using Internalz Pro OR install using WOSQI. Restart Luna or whole device
2) Open Launcher, and delete AT&T Navigator, YPmobile, AT&T Sync Panel, and Amazon MP3
3) Launch Internalz Pro
4) Navigate to and delete the following directories:
- /usr/palm/public/accounts/com.palm.attaddresssync
- /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.amazonstore
- /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.attsyncpanel
- /usr/palm/applications/com.telenav.app.attnavigation
- /usr/palm/applications/com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload
5) Launch Impostah
6) Go to System Prefs scene, System Preference Overrides and set the override for the following two preferences to blank:
- defaultMusicStoreAppName
- defaultMusicStoreAppId
7) Not sure if this is absolutely required using this method, but just in case, I prefer to be in control (and wait for a Doctor)... Disable the Update Daemon
8) Restart the device
9) Type something into the Just Type bar, then scroll down to Preferences. Delete the YPmobile entry if it is still there.

Voila! Other than the non-functional Amazon MP3 reference in the Music app, you should be free of all AT&T gunk. There are some contacts that are loaded by default, but you shouldn't need instructions on getting rid of those...

Let me know if any of you bother doing this and how it works for you. Just trying to give a little back to the community.

Hide Patch method:
See post #9

Update (10/30/2011): Tweaked YPmobile patch, which should remove or at least disable universal search entry
I took off the ATTNav and the AmazonMP3 and followed what you said to delete afterwards (the patches installed with webosQI first and then navigated to the 2 directories and removed them using internalzPro and removed the 2 icons using the ctrl-tap on icon and delete from the dialog. The results are shown in the attached images: Before, After1 (right away), After2 (rebooted) ...the space available is SMALLER to my great surprise ...can you account for this? Pre3 ATT 2.2.4... thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (82.2 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg After1.jpg (81.4 KB, 12 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg After2.jpg (80.7 KB, 9 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by patapoof; 01/11/2013 at 09:58 PM.
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2013, 07:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have made a script to remove bloatware
remove .txt from extension and place in /var/home/root
and run it from terminal via Xecutah
Attached Files
File Type: txt removeatt.txt (321 Bytes, 6 views) Email Attachment
Old 09/13/2013, 03:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Use a terminal or novacom terminal to type commands

to remove Navigation app

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.telenav.attnavigation

to remove yellowpages app.

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload

to remove amazon music store

root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.palm.app.amazonstore

more info here to find and remove ipkg

What is AT&T "Vanilla" for the Pre3 and why is there no 2.2.4 version?
is this good for 2.24 ?
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2013, 02:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
is this good for 2.24 ?
yes 2.2.4 but should for any version.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0