1.    #1  
    Ok, I have been using this phone with no issues. It's an unlocked ATT Pre 3 with image modified (att.tar is replaced with the tar files from the UK image so I could get more languages, Skypne and get rid of all ATT stuff). However once the image is modified every time it checks for updates it says that there is an update available to 2.2.0 3171. In fact the software version shows the latest ATT version (2.2.3 from top of my head now I think). Before once a week the damn update poped up, bugged the hell out of me, installed the updated, rebooted the phone but nothing happened. Everything went back to normal and nothing changed.

However today the updater came up and installed the update and then the phone will not reboot. It gets stuck on HP logo (not shining logo) and just sits there forever. Tried getting the phone to USB mode to doctor it again, but can't bring up the USB recovery mode anymore. Nothing works, battery pull, holding down the R key, volume up... nothing. It seems like I can't recover my phone anymore.

I suppose the boot loader is messed up now. I tried looking at this guide here: Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals
    Firstly the instructions in there suck and I get lost in the first section. secondly it seems like Pre3 is not listed there. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by gameoffuture; 10/28/2011 at 11:53 AM.
  2.    #2  
    mmm... too bad. I really liked WebOS. I had the phone less than a month. The most expensive waste of money ever on any cellphone I have ever had. I was hoping that it will work for me for a couple of years, or at least a few months more.

With WebOS completely dead what other options are there? I want something that does not require you to sell your entire existence to Google or treat you like an ***** (Apple)?

Microsoft phone interface is a pain the in rear to learn and the phones are really not that great. The only customization is you can change the color of the blocks on the screen. That really sucks.

Are there any other options out there outside of these three (Google, Apple, and MS)? Blackberry is kinda dying too (since it's a Canadian company). It seems like Canadian companies are doomed to fail miserably after a few years, or be bought out by Americans. I prefer buying another Pre 3 over the latest Blackberry atm.
    So still no luck on any of the standard recovery methods?

You could sell your brick to someone here likely. I'm sure lots of people would love a spare battery and potentially parts if it really is d-e-a-d dead. Impressive. I've always read webOS was virtually unbrickable.

Those are really your only viable smartphone options in today's technology landscape.

Android = you're fully in Google
    iOS = you're fully in Apple
    WP7 = You don't like the interface
    Meego = Officially dead (or at least much much deader than webOS)
    webOS = Where you are/were
    BlackBerry (OS 7) = Lipstick on the same 4 year old pig
    BBX/QNX = Doesn't exist for phones yet, who knows what kind of acceptance it will ultimately see

I still think flashing wr.tar in place of att.tar is a very bad idea. Digging through the tarball you find little differences in things like sweatshop, which is probably what's identifying your device to the update server as 2.2.0 EU instead of/even though it's largely running 2.2.3 AT&T. Getting more languages looks like it could be done by removing one file from the sweatshop (presumption: I removed sweatshop from my metadoctor altogether and I get at least 6-7 languages one a fresh doctor using only the AT&T image). I've been trying to perfect my AT&T free doctor before sharing my tinkerings since I still have a couple issues (missing Voice Dial largely). Can't decide if a modified doctor is cleaner or messier than patches.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoffuture View Post
    Ok, I have been using this phone with no issues. It's an unlocked ATT Pre 3 with image modified (att.tar is replaced with the tar files from the UK image so I could get more languages, Skypne and get rid of all ATT stuff). However once the image is modified every time it checks for updates it says that there is an update available to 2.2.0 3171. In fact the software version shows the latest ATT version (2.2.3 from top of my head now I think). Before once a week the damn update poped up, bugged the hell out of me, installed the updated, rebooted the phone but nothing happened. Everything went back to normal and nothing changed.

However today the updater came up and installed the update and then the phone will not reboot. It gets stuck on HP logo (not shining logo) and just sits there forever. Tried getting the phone to USB mode to doctor it again, but can't bring up the USB recovery mode anymore. Nothing works, battery pull, holding down the R key, volume up... nothing. It seems like I can't recover my phone anymore.

I suppose the boot loader is messed up now. I tried looking at this guide here: Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals
    Firstly the instructions in there suck and I get lost in the first section. secondly it seems like Pre3 is not listed there. Any other ideas?
    I don't think your first phone was bricked. Try this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3160873
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknbarbie View Post
    I don't think your first phone was bricked. Try this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3160873
    Have tried that already. The phone bootloader is gone. Cannot recover it. Just a word of advice is that use meta doctor for creating images instead of removing or renaming .tar files. It will work, but once the update comes down there is a good chance that it will mess up the phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknbarbie View Post
    I'm not sure i understand the directions for a "button-less pre3"... I have a pre3 where the volume button ribbon was accidentally cut and now i need to get into the webos doctor but can't get into USB mode without holding the UP volume button. Any suggestions?