• 5 Post By cincytouchpad
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 1 Post By tchpd1.5
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By Sanjay
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By Sanjay
  1.    #1  
    I just got my brand new HP Pre3 4G for AT&T in the mail. As soon as I took its box out of the mailing package, I was hit by a load of thoughts, "Should I really use this? What if something happens to it? I can't put insurance on it and I can't get another one just like that! It's so awesome and "rare", should I seriously use it or just keep it as webOS memorabilia? Should I even open the box?" Half of me wants to use this bad boy and the other half wants to preserve it.

Were you guys also hit with similar thoughts to these? If so, what did you end up doing? I know, I'm crazy.
    pre4 likes this.
    Stop the silliness and just enjoy your phone.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Keeping to look at is probably silly, but I did pick up a second one as a backup in case mine breaks.
    Same here, I was so impressed when I first got my Pre 3 that I purchased another one just in case Murphys Law might come into play. I looked at it as the same as paying a monthly insurance fee.
    bevcraw likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Same here, I was so impressed when I first got my Pre 3 that I purchased another one just in case Murphys Law might come into play. I looked at it as the same as paying a monthly insurance fee.
    I'm starting to think I should get another one, just in case?
    pre4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker View Post
    I'm starting to think I should get another one, just in case?
    go for it.. I am on verizon and I am thinking of getting an ATT one for back up/spare battery.
    It's just a phone for chrissakes... I've got 5 bucks a year later today you'll be lusting over another phone.
    laoh likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It's just a phone for chrissakes... I've got 5 bucks a year later today you'll be lusting over another phone.
    Yes, it is just phone, but it's not one that I can replace that easily. The general consensus for mobile enthusiasts is that sooner rather than later they'll be "lusting over another phone".
    It's real beauty is it's USE!
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker View Post
    Were you guys also hit with similar thoughts to these? If so, what did you end up doing? I know, I'm crazy.
    Simple solution. I bought a few spare Pre3s. I now have 'One' UK Pre3 and 'Three' AT&T Pre3s in addition to 'Three' Pre2s and 'Two' Veers. I suppose I am crazier.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    wow...why? Do you really have that much cash to waste???
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I've got 5 bucks a year later today you'll be lusting over another phone.
    Not me unless it's running webOS
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    tchpd1.5 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    No, not really. But here is how I explain myself. Atleast one of the Veer's is being used by my wife. The UK Pre3 was only because there were no AT&T versions avaialble at first and the Pre2s and the Veers were bought at ridiculously low prices. Except for the first AT&T Pre3, which I bought for $370, the rest were bought at very low prices and in any case I am planning to gift/sell (at cost) 'two' Pre3s, and the two Pre2s. I shall probably in the end retain 'two' Pre3s, 'one' Pre2' and 'one' Veer or maybe 'three Pre3s and zero Pre2s. Basically I would like to be able to continue using a webOS phone, for as long as I possibly can. For, I sincerely do not like any of the alternate OSes and actually dread the thought of having to switch to either of them.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I sorta agree with the OP. I can never throw out boxes because for my favourite things, and even when that gadget dies, I keep it. Realistically, these things are made to be used though. As already mentioned, there are people who have some in boxes put away - and some of these will probably never be used. The thing is, you are worrying that it stupid using the phone as it could be damaged through use. Put it in a decent case, never put it in the same pocket as your keys and every time you use it you can get that 'this is a rare phone' moment.

This sounds really sad, but I'm like that. Almost quoted the Friends episode where Ross is teaching Phoebe to ride a bike and eventually resorts to saying that the bike will "die" if it is not ridden. Love that show :-)
    open it and use it.
    It's a great phone. Use it. Enjoy it.