Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well I've seen multiple people ask about getting the pre 3 to work on straight talk. I've also seen people say they they have data working but no mms. I have both data and mms working (mms tested from straight talk to T-Mobile). Here are the apn settings.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesett...ngs.php?id=242

Just put those in exactly like they are shown and you will have working mms and data on straight talk for only 45 a month. This is of course if you activate a e71 first and then swap the sim over to the unlocked pre 3. As far as data speeds go I did multiple speed tests and was pulling at minimum 3.2mb down on the faux 4g network from at&t. A big improvement from the .4mb down that I was getting with sprint. I hope this helps out anyone looking to get a unlocked gsm pre on straight talk.
    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    what is an e71?
  3.    #3  
    Nokia e71 its one of the only phones on straight talk the comes with an unlocked gsm simcard. You need the unlocked sim so you can use your pre 3 on straight talk

thanks! I would love use my veer on this to get better data speeds than tmobile. How much was your e71?
    one does wonder why Straight Talk doesn't just offer a SIM card for use in any unlocked phone. would having more subscribers really be so horrible?
    For a while I thought I was the only person on the forum doing this. I mentioned it in a few threads but there seemed to be more interest in H2O.
    I use the same settings. Took then off the ST iPhone thread at Howard Forums.
    I think one factor that quells the interest in ST is having to buy the Nokia phone and not being able to sell it after harvesting the SIM card.
    So far I am very pleased with the Pre3 on ST for $45.00/ month. Even less expensive if you buy one of their 3 month deals. I will say that there was some features on the aging Nokia E-71 that the Pre3 lacks. I was actually getting pretty fond of the Nokia.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    is there anyway to get one of these unlocked simcards without buying that phone?
  8.    #8  
    No you have to buy an unactivated phone from straight talk. Your best bet is to buy a refurb for 100 bucks

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
    I have both data and mms working (mms tested from straight talk to T-Mobile).
    I have incoming MMS (from Virgin Mobile) working with those settings, and outgoing MMS (from Straight Talk to either Virgin Mobile, ATT or Verizon - all tested) NOT working.

I think I may be making things more difficult than they need to be, though, as I have done this reprogramming both with manual programming through the network preferences in the Phone preferences app, and with an attempt to edit the carrierdb.json file with a couple of additional entries directed to Straight Talk that have many more settings therein than those listed on the page you provided; I will try and create a simplified carrierdb.json file, and see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the info.
    Is there any way to use the E71 after you take the SIM out and put it in the Pre3? Or it locked to Striaght Talk? (edit: nevermind, I see from other comments that once you pull the SIM the E71 becomes useless).
    straight talk seems like a great way to go! Whoever has it are you satisfied with both the voice and data? After taxes and fees how much is the plan?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    I have incoming MMS (from Virgin Mobile) working with those settings, and outgoing MMS (from Straight Talk to either Virgin Mobile, ATT or Verizon - all tested) NOT working.

I think I may be making things more difficult than they need to be, though, as I have done this reprogramming both with manual programming through the network preferences in the Phone preferences app, and with an attempt to edit the carrierdb.json file with a couple of additional entries directed to Straight Talk that have many more settings therein than those listed on the page you provided; I will try and create a simplified carrierdb.json file, and see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the info.
    interesting i have tested both incoming and outgoing mms and they are both working for me. All i have done is manually entered the info into the network panel.

Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    straight talk seems like a great way to go! Whoever has it are you satisfied with both the voice and data? After taxes and fees how much is the plan?
    there are no fees this is a prepaid plan. All you do is buy the airtime card and i think you might have to pay sales tax but thats it.
  13.    #13  
    also what is your mms max size set at? mine was at 600 you may have to increase it i moved mine way up.
    Getting only about 1.6mbps on H2o ... will try ST next month (love not being on contract)
    would this also work with the LG Optimus Q they offer? Or any other smartphone they offer, for that matter? (if we don't want the E71 as a backup, etc.)
    do you get 4g with straight talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    do you get 4g with straight talk?
    Don't know if this helps. I am a rank beginner with this stuff. Pre3 is my first smartphone.
    When Data is on and WiFi off I get a symbol at the top right that looks like this, H+
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  18.    #18  
    Yes you get at&t faux 4g with straight talk I think its somewhat throttled though. I still get 3mb minimum on a speed test though. Also just am update I sent 3 mms messages this weekend as well as received one. Again all I have done is the apn settings update

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Well I've seen multiple people ask about getting the pre 3 to work on straight talk. I've also seen people say they they have data working but no mms. I have both data and mms working (mms tested from straight talk to T-Mobile). Here are the apn settings.

Mobile Carrier Settings for Straight Talk United States

Just put those in exactly like they are shown and you will have working mms and data on straight talk for only 45 a month. This is of course if you activate a e71 first and then swap the sim over to the unlocked pre 3. As far as data speeds go I did multiple speed tests and was pulling at minimum 3.2mb down on the faux 4g network from at&t. A big improvement from the .4mb down that I was getting with sprint. I hope this helps out anyone looking to get a unlocked gsm pre on straight talk.
    is there any navigation when you use straight talk?

Mobile Carrier Settings for Straight Talk United States

Can you type here in a post exactly what your MMS APN settings look like when entered into your phone?
    Doing as the link above shows I repeatedly get " Invalid APN MMS setting".
    Internet APN is no problem and I have web Browsing. But, it appears as though I cannot duplicate what you have done under MMS APN settings.
    Thank you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast