Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. sejgiul's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
       #1  
    I really don't understand this, for some reason every now and again, I completely lose my data connection. My phone will show a 3G symbol, but I am unable to do anything data related. However, I am able to text and make phone calls?

    It has happened a couple of times now, and it's usually only once a day. It lasts for a certain period of time (10 minutes or so).

    I am in the UK and on the O2 network, as mentioned before, I have full signal and it even shows 3G symbol.

    I have tried the following:

    - Remove all preware apps;
    - Restart Luna
    - Restart Java
    - Restart phone
    - Shut down phone and manually restart
    - Removed battery and reinserted
    - Removed SIM card and reinserted
    - Tried changing APN settings

    When trying all of the above, nothing works. And after about 10 minutes (or sometimes longer) it all of a sudden works again, it remains a mystery to me what this could be, I do have a feeling it might be something to do with the patches I have installed, but am unsure.

    These are the patches I have installed:

    - Buttah
    - Muffle System Logging
    - Quiet powerd Messages
    - Remove Dropped Packet Logging

    The Linux apps that go with it are:

    - GNU Patch
    - Lsdiff

    And that's it really. It's starting to become a real nuisance as I rely on my phone for work...

    Has anyone else got this problem as well?

    Is there a solution?

    Thanks
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  2. lm1
    lm1 is offline
    lm1's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #2  
    Had something similar, though not quite the same earlier today. The signal indicator was fluctuating between 2-4 bars (so it wasn't stuck or anything) but no data and I couldn't even make voice calls. Restarting Luna didn't help, but rebooting the phone fixed it. This is an unlocked AZERTY Pre3 on 3 UK.
  3. sejgiul's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
       #3  
    Very strange, I had it when I posted, turned on (and off) aeroplane mode and then it worked again...

    Have you got anything preware related installed?
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  4. lm1
    lm1 is offline
    lm1's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    Very strange, I had it when I posted, turned on (and off) aeroplane mode and then it worked again...
    Ah yes, I tried that too before rebooting, didn't help.

    Have you got anything preware related installed?
    Linux Apps: EOM Overlord Monitoring, GNU Patch, Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$, $Lsdiff$, $Remove$ $Untrusted$ $SSL$ $Certs$, $UnZip$, $Zip$.

    Optware: OpenSSH, OpenSSH SFTP Server, OpenSSL, Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer, Optwaer Bootstrap, zlib.

    Patches: Ad Blocker, Greek accented layout for hardware keyboard.

    Service: FileMgr, SysToolsMgr Service.
  5. #5  
    Turning on and off aeroplane mode does the trick for me. Alternatively you could install the Data Connection patch that also works.
  6. sejgiul's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    Turning on and off aeroplane mode does the trick for me. Alternatively you could install the Data Connection patch that also works.
    Do you know what causes it?


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  7. #7  
    Nope. I think it's an OS bug, but as it's so random I haven't been able to provide Palm/HP with instructions on how to recreate it.
  8. #8  
    I have this as well, I'm convinced its an O2 thing... or a network thing anyway. Its always in a place with bad 3G, I find what happens is it says 3G but won't work, as you say, and sometimes after a while, it flips to Edge or GPRS and then works fine at those speeds.

    I've noticed it happens very often in a particular house in London, where the 3G connection is dodgy. Most of the time, I'll get GPRS, and data will be consequently very slow. Occasionally, I get the 3G icon, during which I get no data. After a while, the phone will drop the 3G network again and go back to GPRS and then data will work again.

    Anyway the symptoms my phone shows are consistent with that explanation: if you are somewhere with, say, coverage for the 1800Mhz network for GSM, and marginal connection to the 2100MHz UMTS network, I suppose the phone will try to get 3G through that UMTS, but the connection will be bad enough that it can't actually shift any data. If it fails and you get enough of a dip in 2100 signal that it no longer detects it, it will instead try to use the 1800MHz GSM to get data using GPRS.

    Perhaps theres some effect of O2's new 900Mhz UMTS band adding to the mix in major cities as well.


    so I guess it happens in a place where you have good GSM (hence the phone and texts and reasonable signal strength bar), but marginal UMTS... enough that it thinks it can get 3G, (so doesn't step down to GPRS), but the signal isn't really good enough...
    Last edited by Andyf; 10/31/2011 at 07:45 AM.
  9. #9  
    Are you guys referring to the wi-fi connection? I keep losing the wi-fi connection at my house, and my 2 network computers don't seem to lose the connection, so it doesn't appear to be my N-router. Sometimes it says I'm connected to my network, and sometimes it shows I'm not connected. When I pull the drop down menu, it shows wi-fi is on, and even sees my Network listed. When I try to click on it, it says it can't connect (and yes, I do have a password and it can connect). I'll then hit the network name again and another screen pops up that lists the IP Address, and everything is pretty much blank. Automatic IP settings are set to on.

    I have been doing a reset, and it would then reconnect, but just tried turning the Airplane Mode on and then off, and that does seem to get it to reconnect....but it will then lose connection again at some point. Anyone having such issues and if so, have you determined a fix? This is the only little annoying thing so far regarding my Pre3!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  10. marysm's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lm1 View Post
    Had something similar, though not quite the same earlier today. The signal indicator was fluctuating between 2-4 bars (so it wasn't stuck or anything) but no data and I couldn't even make voice calls. Restarting Luna didn't help, but rebooting the phone fixed it. This is an unlocked AZERTY Pre3 on 3 UK.
    I've been having a similar problem. I posted about it in the thread Zero Bars, No Data, No Reception? OR Full bars, No Service!?!. For me it seems to happen in a few specific places, but it never happened with my Pre2 or Treo680. It is really frustrating.
  11. #11  
    Also happens to me. I use Airplane mode to get it back.

    Also happened on my pixi before.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  12. akshunj's Avatar
    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    I really don't understand this, for some reason every now and again, I completely lose my data connection. My phone will show a 3G symbol, but I am unable to do anything data related. However, I am able to text and make phone calls?

    It has happened a couple of times now, and it's usually only once a day. It lasts for a certain period of time (10 minutes or so).

    I am in the UK and on the O2 network, as mentioned before, I have full signal and it even shows 3G symbol.

    I have tried the following:

    - Remove all preware apps;
    - Restart Luna
    - Restart Java
    - Restart phone
    - Shut down phone and manually restart
    - Removed battery and reinserted
    - Removed SIM card and reinserted
    - Tried changing APN settings

    When trying all of the above, nothing works. And after about 10 minutes (or sometimes longer) it all of a sudden works again, it remains a mystery to me what this could be, I do have a feeling it might be something to do with the patches I have installed, but am unsure.

    These are the patches I have installed:

    - Buttah
    - Muffle System Logging
    - Quiet powerd Messages
    - Remove Dropped Packet Logging

    The Linux apps that go with it are:

    - GNU Patch
    - Lsdiff

    And that's it really. It's starting to become a real nuisance as I rely on my phone for work...

    Has anyone else got this problem as well?

    Is there a solution?

    Thanks
    This happens to my Pre3 occasionally. I had the same problem on my Pre Plus though and it was a huge PITA. On the Pre Plus it happened 3 or 4x a day. I doctored after reading that a thread on here stating that would fix it, but it didn't help.
  13. #13  
    Really odd how sporadic it is. I finally had to do a reset earlier today to be able to get it to connect, and (knock on wood) it seems to have been on now for about 4 hours. It had actually gone a couple of days with no problems, so can't figure out what is causing it to suddenly loss connection, and then be unable to reconnect unless doing a reset. Grrrrrrr. Other than this, really enjoying this phone.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton

Posting Permissions