Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fernandez21
  1.    #1  
    well, I've had my pre3 on at&t now for almost a week (got it last thur.) and overall it has been a positive experience.

The hardware is great, it feels really good in your hand and while on a call, though I do wish it was a little more narrower on the sides. The sliding mechanism is worlds better than on my pre plus, though it can get tricky at times to slide up one handed. The screen is beautiful, it not as sharp as on my iphone, but its something you wouldn't be able to tell unless you have both phones side by side. The screen really shows off the beauty of webos, it looks much nicer and more elegant than ios. Call quality good, the speaker is loud, and reception has also been improved. The keyboard is also much better (this whole review was typed on my pre 3). And battery life is also good. But the big thing about the hardware is that you don't notice it unlike past webos phone that always felt as though they were holding webos back, you get no such feeling using the pre3 and that may be the biggest improvement.

webos is the big draw, and on the pre3 it runs fairly great. The animations are smooth for the most, though there is still the occasional lag. The auto correct feature has also been greatly improved. Just type is great, much easier to get where I want to than on any other platform. The multitasking is just as fantastic as its always been, same with notifications, this is just the most enjoyable Os available.

That being said, there are still some disappointments with the execution. My iphone is still faster when I want to launch apps or browse the web. The web browser still doesn't correctly size the font on certain websites (on this forum the text comes in really small even when I double tap to zoom, I don't have this problem on my iphone or windows phone). It still has the error where if I load multiple web pages, some won't show up, some will free, and others will only partially load, what's the point of true multitasking if I have to keep closing and launching the web pages? Cut, copy, and paste are also not up to par when compared to the other platforms. There also is no settings app, instead each category is still seperated in different sections of the Os instead of just in one central location. I have an iphone 4s that I use as my personal phone, so the lack of apps doesn't really affect me all that much, other than I wish I had more so I could use my pre3 more instead of always going back to my iphone.

I am a gadget nut, in the past 8 months I have had in this order on my work phone a pre plus, HTC Inspire 4g, atrix 4g, blackberry torch, samsung surround, pre plus, dell venue pro, samsung focus, and now a pre 3. (for my personal phone I've had an iphone since 2008) While for me the iphone still provides the best overall experience, its the only phone I've had for so long, I've always really liked webos and considered it a strong alternative and even considered briefly switched over to it (for 3 weeks when my iphone 3g died right before the iphone 4 was announced). Last october I was allowed to have a smart phone on my work line for the first time and immediately picked up a pre plus (after having used it and loved it earlier in the year).

Of all the phones that I've used, webos is still the most enjoyable and the one with the most potential. While its frustrating that it still has bugs here and there, it is still a great Os and it is such a shame that it is pretty much in a casket waiting for someone to drive the nails in. While there is still a shimmer of hope that some crazy scientist may bring life into this corpse so zombie webos can come back, it is doubtful, and I really hate hp for it.

I don't doubt my purchase of my pre 3 even with its lack of supports because it allows to hold on to webos a little longer. If you have a lot invested in webos in terms of apps, or app selection doesn't matter to you, and if you get good AT&T service, then I strongly recommend you go out and get it, it may be the last chance you get to use this wonderful Os. But if you have bad AT&T service or are tied to your carrier than it may be time to just move on. Of all the phones that I've used, the iphone is the only one that is close in experience, and when it comes to 3rd party support its miles better.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 10/26/2011 at 10:03 AM.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Great post.

In hines sight, palm/hp should have came up with Pre 3 after Pre/Pre Plus. Pre 2 although is good but pointless when you got pre 3 in your arsenal.

I guess history repeat itself, treo 650 was great than they came up with treo 680 (same platform), they should have skipped 680 and jump to treo PRO!
    I don't really have the issues of multiple web pages not opening on my pre3. I am strictly using wifi though - so i'm not sure how that factors in.

I also believe there is a very nice app (which i haven't downloaded yet) called Advanced browser, - one of the things this app does is allows you to use tabs on your web card instead of having to open up multiple ones.

Just a thought on how that might help w/ multiple sites opening at the same time. I won't comment on anything else, simply because I don't have all the other experiences w/ the Iphone.

I personally feel the Pre3 is for those who have been a webOS fan for years and just can't bare making a change to another platform. I for one, tried using the iphone & android system and just get annoyed that I can't see my cards lol

Anyways great review - it's always nice hearing a non bias one.
    I used the Pre 3 for a couple of days and honestly, didn't like it that much. Most of that has to do with the lag. Even the phone app takes about 2 seconds to notify when someone is calling me. I have also often found that sometimes when I answer the call, my original "hello" is not heard and I have to repeat it after a second.

After phone calls, email is 2nd most important thing for me and I use Google Apps. The phone is set to receive email as soon as they arrive on the server, yet I have noticed that syncing can be a mixed bag. For example, if I delete an email or two from the server, it doesn't reflect on my Pre until after I hit the sync button. Also, the lack of selecting multiple emails to delete is frustrating. Swiping them out is good but the lag when trying to do this, especially if new emails come in and want to be downloaded are frustrating.

There are other issues as well- such as less than optimal browsing and being signed out of Google chat without any warnings that make MY Pre 3 experience not so good. That is sad as I can honestly see so much potential in it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    I don't really have the issues of multiple web pages not opening on my pre3. I am strictly using wifi though - so i'm not sure how that factors in.

I also believe there is a very nice app (which i haven't downloaded yet) called Advanced browser, - one of the things this app does is allows you to use tabs on your web card instead of having to open up multiple ones.

Just a thought on how that might help w/ multiple sites opening at the same time. I won't comment on anything else, simply because I don't have all the other experiences w/ the Iphone.

I personally feel the Pre3 is for those who have been a webOS fan for years and just can't bare making a change to another platform. I for one, tried using the iphone & android system and just get annoyed that I can't see my cards lol

Anyways great review - it's always nice hearing a non bias one.
    That's strange, happens to me all the time. Could you try a test for me? Add Engadget, technobuffalo.com, and pre central to your bookmarks and make sure they are the desktop versions. Then open one browser and click on Engadget, then while it loads open a new browser card and click technobuffalo, then while that loads open a new browser card and open pre central. Generaly when i do this, Engadget loads fine, but technobuffalo takes a while and sometimes only partially loads and precentral doesn't load at all. Sometime if I only do two, one of the sites will only partially load and even if I refresh will still only partially load. I would have to close the card and reopen to fully load it. Also at times when I tap bookmarks it shows up empty and I have to close the card and reopen to see them again.

I too at times find myself swiping up or swiping left and right when using my iPhone, palm really nailed the ui when they came up with pre. I really hope someone buys webos from hp and does something with, the potentiall is still there, but I just get this sinking feeling that the pre3 will be the end of line. I really hate hp.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the other platforms and how they compare, feel free to ask, I know I'm in a unique situation where I have been able to use them all for an extended time as one of my main devices, and I also pretty much used the top of the line phone for every platform, though there have been more powerfull android devices released since I used the atrix. Oh, I also had a nexus s for 2 days, then I remembers why I didn't like android.
    ok, I brought up all of them -again on wifi- and the only time I had trouble was w/ the technobuffalo.com site. It seems there is a player that doesn't re-size properly in the browser.

Outside of that, I probably brought up 10 websites (10- tabs) and everyone of them loaded fine. Granted, by like the 5th tab - I experienced a little bit of a lag time, but that was probably due to 3 sites loading within seconds apart from each other.

But I got everything loaded fairly quickly - but again, I am using wifi -

At one point, my pre said, I had to many cards opened, so I did close them all. But I was trying to test..
  7.    #7  
    ok, well after seeing your post I decided to doctor my phone and try again. After doctoring it seems a little faster but it still does the partially load thing and bookmarks disappear. I am running an AT&T pre 3 on webos 2.2.3, stock, on wifi (I have verizon fios 25mbps up and down). Also I have never gotten a too many cards error, even on my pre plus.
    yeah, I thought the to many cards thing was a bit strange . Simply cause my old pre could handle what I brought up.. Just web pages, I might try it again someday.
  9.    #9  
    sweet, I fixed it. Kinda strange, but I erased all my bookmarks, cleared my cache, cookies, and history, reset my phone, and when it started back up the web browser was MUCH smoother. After re entering my bookmarks, I can now do the test and everything works, though it does still lag, its much better. Thanks for your input, I had thought it was just something with webos, but your post showed that it may have been something wrong on my end and I was able to fix it.