Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I have an EU Pre3 and am using it in EU. I have every service turned off (like Wifi, Skype, etc.) and my battery loses 5% every 2 hours is that normal for a Pre3? How can that be other smartphones lose not more than 5% every 8 hours. For example I tested an Iphone 4 and it lost around 2% over the night (around 8 hours). How much does your battery lose per hour? Is that intended to be this way or is my Pre3 just rubbish?

PS: I turned logging to minimum and don't have any patches installed.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Install Govnah and look at CPU usage...do you have any homebrew installed like Freetether? Is it better after a reboot?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  3.    #3  
    All I have installed is:

JSTop
    SysToolsMgr
    TorchLED

Nothing changes after rebooting.

Installed Govnah now and that's what it says: (Screencapture is attached)

CPU jumps up and down from 1.4 GHZ to 122MHZ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geileszeuch; 10/25/2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    That's normal. I noticed it helped to sign out of skype while not using it (it's constantly polling for new messages etc.), try that and see if it improves things.
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    That's normal. I noticed it helped to sign out of skype while not using it (it's constantly polling for new messages etc.), try that and see if it improves things.
    I guess you didn't read the first post properly. I clearly stated that I have EVERY SERVICE like Skype, Wifi, GPS, etc. turned off.
    you have wifi off? Using cellular data all the time can really be a burden to your battery.

does the pre last you the whole day? Do not let the battery percentage bother you. Try it out for a day until it goes dead. You might be surprised how long the battery lasted you.

for example. I removed my pre from the touchstone at 930 am. I have it teethered to my touchpad via bt for the messaging when i am home. I go out and drive, bt audio streaming with pandora over my car. Get to my destination some twitter, facebook and surfing and some other things. At 1pm i only have 50% left. So now i have the touchpad with me, i have the messages go thru the touchpad. By 7 pm i still have around 20%. It didnt power of until around midnight.

i did have wifi and bt on all the time, i have my mails come in as they arrive.

dont get bothered by the percentage. Try it if it works our for you.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Well you've a bum battery then I guess.
    I stay signed-out of skype but have 3 IMAP accounts using IDLE for immediate push over cellular data and my phone lasts more than all day with reasonable use. I can't tell you how much it drops overnight since that's when I charge it.

5% per 2 hours means you have about 40 hours of battery life.
    Your iPhone 4 might drop less, but then again it doesn't have push email of any sort...

You say ALL SERVICES are off so this means you have NO email accounts, right?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    OK you told what is turned off.
    Now what is turned on? Radio, mail, facebook?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Well you've a bum battery then I guess.
    I stay signed-out of skype but have 3 IMAP accounts using IDLE for immediate push over cellular data and my phone lasts more than all day with reasonable use. I can't tell you how much it drops overnight since that's when I charge it.

5% per 2 hours means you have about 40 hours of battery life.
    Your iPhone 4 might drop less, but then again it doesn't have push email of any sort...

You say ALL SERVICES are off so this means you have NO email accounts, right?
    Yes I really mean ALL SERVICES. EVERYTHING THERE is possible is turned off except for gsm 3g network. It loses 5% per 2 hours while the phone is in idle that means I am not doing anything and I seriously mean I am doing NOTHING and the phone shouldn't either.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geileszeuch View Post
    Yes I really mean ALL SERVICES. EVERYTHING THERE is possible is turned off except for gsm 3g network. It loses 5% per 2 hours while the phone is in idle that means I am not doing anything and I seriously mean I am doing NOTHING and the phone shouldn't either.
    I'm sorry, did you answer if you have any email accounts?
    If so, what type (IMAP/POP) and what settings for email retrieval?

If no email accounts, why is data turned on?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    You must have a bad battery. I have logging off, Uber and Govnah, brightness set to 12% and I am a very heavy user. 15 websites a day, answer 30 to 50 emails, read 100. 15 to 20 5 minute phone calls and the phone is down to 55% at 11:45 pm after it comes off the TS at 6 am. Very good life and better than my Pre 2.
  12.    #12  
    I'm sorry, did you answer if you have any email accounts?
    If so, what type (IMAP/POP) and what settings for email retrieval?

If no email accounts, why is data turned on?
    No I don't have any e-mails. Data is turned on because I sometimes use the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Excimer View Post
    You must have a bad battery. I have logging off, Uber and Govnah, brightness set to 12% and I am a very heavy user. 15 websites a day, answer 30 to 50 emails, read 100. 15 to 20 5 minute phone calls and the phone is down to 55% at 11:45 pm after it comes off the TS at 6 am. Very good life and better than my Pre 2.
    I don't have uberkernel installed.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excimer View Post
    the phone is down to 55% at 11:45 pm after it comes off the TS at 6 am. Very good life and better than my Pre 2.
    That's 17:45 (aka 17.75 hrs) for a 45% drop or about 5% per 2 hours.
    Someone please correct me if im wrong, but 40 hours of battery life sounds quite good... I know on my pre with everything turned off o0r on manual it barely lasted the day, if I turned it on airplane mode while at work it lasted the whole day with minimal use later. That was about 15 hours, with 8 of them being in airplane mode. With my arrive, if i barely use it and have settings normal i have capped at 20 hours. I haven't tried it with everything off, but i can imagine it would probably not be double that. A smartphone should last a full days usage most android phones dont even last that long. You should also not need to turn everything off to get that usage time. Being that it is lasting 40 hours with everything off, i strongly believe it will last you a whole day. I assume that the iPhones standby time is probably better, and it also does seem to have a better usage time as well, but that's because the iPhone has no background tasks like webos, its multitasking is not really multitasking, just savestats. Thus its battery will always last longer, specifically in standby whereas webos, windows phone and even more so android, use background tasks and such. Either way though, you generally get similar results, though i believe iPhone is best about lasting a whole day with heavy usage.

I would say, test your battery at NORMAL stat, with the stuff you do want on, on. Use it like normal, and if it lasts from when you wake up until you go to bed. Then it has decent battery life. usually my arrive can last me 12 -14 hours with everything i want on and normal use. Its note ideal, but thats with no airplane mode, and in places i dont get ok signal. While in school sometimes i turn it off while in class because there's so little signal there that my phone doesn't last me through the day (also use it alot in between classes) in short, test it out in various conditions.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Its note ideal, but thats with no airplane mode, and in places i dont get ok signal. While in school sometimes i turn it off while in class because there's so little signal there that my phone doesn't last me through the day (also use it alot in between classes) in short, test it out in various conditions.
    Does having a bad signal (while doing nothing and just letting 3g on) lead to a quick discharge of the battery, because I have a bad signal at home?
    Does having a bad signal (while doing nothing and just letting 3g on) lead to a quick discharge of the battery, because I have a bad signal at home?
    Very much so because your phone is always searching/trying to connect.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    See if you have better signal by forcing 2G in the phone app. If I force 2G in my office, where my 3G reception is crap, my battery lasts longer.
    Yes, if the cell signal at your location is not strong or unreliable then the phone will constantly try to connect to the towers draining battery. At work where the signal is not strong my Epic completely drains in 4 hours. Since Verizon has a stronger signal I fixed it by putting the phone in roam only mode (using roam control).

On my Pre I had the patch to roam only so I knew what was wrong with my Epic
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    That's 17:45 (aka 17.75 hrs) for a 45% drop or about 5% per 2 hours.
    2.5% is a lot better than 5% per hour. I think ~40 hours of hard use for a battery is very acceptable as I only need it to go a full 24 hours without a charge very very rarely. This is substantially better than my last Blackberry and my last Android phone. It beats the **** out of my old iPhone 3 which could not last until 3 pm on any given day. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    OP said 5% per 2 hours. See post one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast