Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cyph911x
  • 3 Post By MayhemMaybe
  1.    #1  
    I am still in love. You cant get a better phone. I have showed off this thing at work, and 8 people already said that they want to buy one, and where can they get one. They want to leave iOS and Android. What i dont understand is why hp is basically slowly falling apart. Do they really only make money from ink/toner? get the hell out of here.

So for 1 week in, this is A+ PRIMO SH^T bro.

Question-

So this thread will pick up where the "WHATS WRONG WITH HP!!!" thread left off, and add a little new info.

I have a Vikuiti Screen Protector ( actually 3x). The protectors are friggin AWESOME. no joke.. BUT there is a problem. The Cutout on the protector, for the camera is on the LEFT SIDE..(the sticky stuff is only on one side) but the camera is on the RIGHT SIDE of the phone. .. Did anyone who picked up these protectors ( i saw there was a few in the thread about screen protectors)

See picture..

And as always, THANKS EVERYONE for being the best community EVER.. iOS and Android forums arent nearly as helpful/nice

Oh and look at that picture. AF/DOPE CAMERA on this phone. buddy. so friucking sick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    1 week here too, and I'm luvin it. Same as what everyone else is already saying. Fast, solid, nice screen, keyboard is better. All around better than previous Pres, on par with other phones released in the past few months.

Lasted 2 years on my Pre-, hoping to last another two with the Pre3. Going to cry when it starts to show it's age in ~2013. Hopefully Andriod will have advanced enough to make me want to change phones. I hear a lot of good things about ICS. By then they should be on Key Lime Pie (or whatever yummy dessert they choose to add to their front lawn). Phones will be quad core, 3d, voice recognition, thinner than a CD, and do my job for me.
    I think I am going to be buying Pre 3 soon, but I am not on ATT or Verizon. Not sure how I'll get any use out of it, because I'm on Sprint (and married too it, too many discounts), but I really want to be able to hold it and see how the OS turned out on it. I'm in the process of trying out new phones for Sprint and even though I have my trusty TouchPad for webOS-y goodness, I'm missing it a lot on the phone side.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    ^ This is not the thread of discussion for your thoughts on what to do. But to briefly respond to your thoughts, if financially able since you are on Sprint and have a Pre minus, then get a Verizon Pre 2 on ebay and get it FrankenPre'd. If no Pre minus, get an ebay one to activate, then make the switch. Also get an unlocked AT&T Pre 3, buy 1 month of T-Mobile service for it and then after 30 days continue to use your Pre 3 with wi-fi connection while still enjoying full use of your Pre 2 on Sprint. This is what I do and works well. I get 2 great Pre's to use.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    3 weeks now and the honeymoon still Is not over, awesome phone, still loving my Pre 3 more and more every day. Sitting here in San Jose, Ca in my car, pandora streaming streaming over the stereo, FreeTether connecting my TouchPad and killing time until it's time to start work.
    Man this H+ ls fast!
    I believe I'm about three weeks in on my Pre 3. For some background I have had the Treo up through 600 then moved to Blackberry because Palm didn't have all the features I wanted. Once the Pre was available on AT&T I went back to Palm and loved it, though one issue I had with it was the comfortable but cheap feel of the phone. Good for email, some decent apps, and occasional web browsing was usable.

Then I moved to Android in the form of the faster Galaxy S which though a better processor always felt slower than my Pre +. Short pauses when trying to dial the phone and small nagging slowdowns eventually had me looking at Palm again. Especially with the announcement of the 3. Larger screen, faster processor, better keyboard, what is there not to like?

Also have and use an iPad and now Touchpad. So other than Windows Phone 7 I have used pretty much every phone operating system out there other than Symbian.

Same time as I got the TP I also got a Pre 2. Was no issue for me to move from the Android back to the Pre. I was greeted with all my apps on the new phone as if I had never left it. and as if it was the same phone I had used though it wasn't. But the call of the 3 was too great and I ended up getting that to replace the barely used 2, and I have no regrets (other than HP what the hell are you thinking!).

Again I was greeted with all my apps and what they greeted me on was an amazing phone. Larger but thinner then the 2 the same gentle curve conforming it to your hand as you hold it. Slide the keyboard out, WOW! No wimpy slide here. It comes out solidly and with conviction as it is propelled by the mechanism inside to almost snap to attention. The Pre 3 says a clear resounding 'I am ready to use' then to both my fingers and my eyes. It remains comfortable in the hand even extended due to the gentle curve which sends the screen slightly forward as it slides up. Eyes are treated to a bright large clear screen. Finally a phone I don't mind web browsing on while away from a computer. Eyes are not the only parts of me that feel pampered by the 3. My thumbs are ever grateful from the first time they type on the taller, larger keys swimming in the larger keyboard area. Scrolling, apps opening, closing all are super responsive showing that the processor is adequate to the task of running the 3. Camera isn't the highest megapixels out there but taking a photo you can't miss the slight wirr of the lens autofocusing. Image stabilization for videos, flash, all make this an adequate camera for when you want that quick shot of something and have no camera with you.

Multitasking? What is there to say on this forum on this subject we don't already know. WebOS has simply the best and easiest interface for moving from app to app to app. Swipe up, left, right, tap done. Apple is still spinning in place trying to find something to get it right and tripping each time. Android from the sound of it is giving up finding something better and from what I hear will co opt the card view.

On the subject of speed, it might be called faux G by many but the added browser speed is noticeable, and welcome.

Touchstone charging, how I had missed thee. With two of the Touchstone docks one next to the couch and the other in my car, it is a breeze to both have the phone convenient and charged at all times. No weakening custom cable ports here with constant plugging and unplugging like some leading to an eventual repair charge with someone who charges $60 last I looked just to replace a battery. The 3 even though it can be made to wobble on the dock due to the different curvature, has never come off in normal driving even with fast corner turns. Only thing missing in my view is the Map app being able to run in exhibition to make this a nice in car map system and had HP not lawn darted the 3 I might have hoped that the new Map app could have eventually expanded into a navigation app ala google maps on the Android.

Downsides? There are some. Not as many apps as other phones though I generally have enough for my needs. Would be nice to have Kindle on the phone. I mean, come on, Blackberry has it on phones with the same or less resolution. It is now on the Touchpad. Had HP not been doing a Ralph Cramden 'hamina hamina hamina' right now and the whole WebOS not have been a quagmire of not partnering with people to bring the 'big apps' that have become necessity on smartphones/tablets we would have this and a real twitter app. OS owners have to be on their game all the time watching what sites are big, and what sites people want to have apps for on their phones. They started it with Facebook but dropped the ball on so many others. What might be different if HP managed to be the first non Android phone with a Google+ app, for instance.

This phone is a competitor. Had it been put out with proper support, both in the back with developers to get apps people want on it, and in the front pitting its strengths against the other phones, it might not have been an iPhone unseater but it could have been a successful product. No one I have let hold my 3 has had anything bad to say about it. HP seriously needs to look at what they have now. With the sold items in teh fire sale they have enlarged the user base, although not in the best way. Now they need to stop sitting on their hands, make a definitive decision. If they keep it, show commitment with some definitive decisions and movements. If they want to sell it, do it already and don't **** away this increased userbase jump.

The Three was a good start and made me excited to see what the 4 might have been like. Hopefully 'dual-core' since that is the great buzzword now for phones, further camera improvement, further screen improvement all to keep the Pre moving to keep pace with the industry. Oh wait, that's right, we might not ever see another one!

Thanks HP, for a great phone that though you don't seem to know what to do with it. I luckily do.
    Last edited by Mayhem maybe; 10/25/2011 at 11:50 AM.
    joen05, pre4 and Escapingjavert like this.
  7.    #7  
    Thought the pre3 was dualcore? Didn't they remake them with dualcore processors? Or is it single core, 1.4 ghz?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    +1 for the Ralph Kramden reference! Oh, and the Pre 3 is pretty cool, too.
    I just love how Pre 3 feels in my hand. The slider is tight and no annoying wiggle.

Screen is much brighter than Pre 2. Software wise... GPS works for Verzion is HUGE. Other than that it actually has less apps working than Pre 2 but all my essential apps are all there.

Pandora,
    Voogle,
    KalemSoft,
    QR deCOREr
    Led Torch
    feeTether
    I love my Verizon Pre 3, but... Is anyone else having a lot of lag problems? It gets better when I restart, but as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. I haven't seen much about this problem. Could it be too many patches? Or is the answer to visit the good Dr.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeWittIsDeMan View Post
    I love my Verizon Pre 3, but... Is anyone else having a lot of lag problems? It gets better when I restart, but as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. I haven't seen much about this problem. Could it be too many patches? Or is the answer to visit the good Dr.
    My Pre 3 flies all day long no lag or slow down. Turn off logging. Makes a big difference.
    i've had my pre3 for almost 2 months now (AZERTY , I have another QWERTY but haven't gotten round to switching yet). It's a good phone, my main complaint is bluetooth doesn't work when I'm logged into a 2.4ghz wifi AP (works when I'm on a 5ghz AP). keyboard is nice. I don't use it all that much though, have a bunch of games on it but never play them (the novelty of the fancy smart phone has worn off on me).

It's nice to have a web connected device in a pinch though (number of pinches in past 2 months maybe 3 for me). My previous phone was a Sanyo feature phone (before that was a Pre-). Over the feature phone I'm happy to have the touchstone back even though the Sanyo battery lasted forever. Easier to SMS on it (maybe send 20 SMSs/week on average).

Nice to be able to get my exchange email (though I use it maybe twice a week).

It's about what I expected really. If HP had launched the pre3 officially I don't think it would of been any more successful than the veer. There's not enough in it to lure buyers from other leading edge platforms.

The Pre3, as many seem to agree needed to be out 6 months ago. I still like it and will continue to use it as long as I can (which is why I bought a 2nd as a backup). But I don't believe it was going to be anything more than a speed bump on the way to the next phone.

I was hoping HP/Palm would have a chance to catch up to parity, I got the sense they have been struggling for a while cutting features, cutting promises just trying to stay afloat. They needed to get to a point where they could look forward instead of trying to patch things backwards (may not make sense not sure how to put it into words). It's unfortunate they didn't get that opportunity at least on the hardware front.

Software remains to be seen the recent claims that they've been able to double down on improving the APIs is nice to hear, can only hope those improvements actually continue to make it to existing devices in some form.
    I have now Pre 3 for a week now - got it here in India through a friend in the U.K. to replace my Treo 680. For years I waited for a decent Treo successor, as both iPhone and Android looked rather primitive functionally, specially in terms of ease of use, organizing capabilities, and intuitiveness.

My impression so far:I have Pre 3 for a week now - got it here in India through a friend in the U. K. to replace my dying Treo 680. For years I waited for a decent Treo successor, as both iPhone and Android looked rather primitive functionally, specially in terms of ease of use, organizing capabilities, and intuitiveness.

My impression so far:

Positives: Screen and UI and so are touch gestures. Though it freezes occasionally, otherwise response is quite decent - yes AngryBirds are fun. Sound (calls as well music) quality is quite good too. Web browser is another plus, and os is intergarion with web-accounts and calendars (Google, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.)

Disappointments: after using it for a week I realized where HP/Palm lost the game: Apps! Palm's in-built apps and accompanying eco-system were always its strength . Now core-apps are crippled. For example, Tasks and Notes apps are big disappointment considering Palm brought e-organizers to the world.

Another disappointment was lack of synchronization options with desktop (LotusNotes/Outlook), which was another plus of Palms/Treos. There are round about ways (such as gSyncit), but nothing as seamless as was HotSync.

Moreover, there is no eco-system of third-party apps, except HP App Store. And, App store is no good for users outside the U.S. (and some other countries), as no paid apps are available for them, and most of available free apps are not of much use. I was looking to migrate my SplashId data to Pre, but SplashId is not available to me, and neither are other alternatives such as JVault or LastPass. So, now I am stuck to desktop SplashId

Lack of on-screen keyboard was another disappointment, as pulling out keyboard each time is not fun. In fact initially, as in Treo, I tried menu+k for it, but nothing happened. It was only later, while searching in PreCentral forums here, I realized Pre does not have on-screen keyboard, (or it's buried somewhere deep in the code).

Well, it's only a week... now, back to Angry Birds!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I have the Verizon Pre 3.
    This has been a great phone so far, just past a week with it. I intend to use it until another OS has had more time to catch up with what I like about WebOS. Or unitl WebOS gets developed by a decent company in the future. Hmmm.
    ...So I bought a Body Glove Rythm Horizontal Case that will hopefully protect it. It probably needs to last.

Cons:
    1. A few burps in signal strength on its' first road trip.
    2. The phone will bog down with what seems like a memory leak on occasion. Jstop in PreWare seems to help, as well as trying the Muffle System Logging etc patches.
    3. The app situation. Sort of an aside, but I did notice an app or two missing in the app catalog that should have been there. The developers have been responsive and helpful to the extreme on this. We are a lucky community. Let's hope HP is responsive to the developer requests.

Pros:
    1. VERY fluid touchscreen, more pixels, greater resolution. It is (after a few days) a nicer size and no question a better build quality than previous WebOS phones.
    2. Flash etc. seems to work better than on the Pre 2. For example, I could watch the last PalmCast on the phone with no lag. This is very close to being the device you could bring in order to leave the _Pad's at home.
    3. It is integrated with the TouchPad. If only HP will enable some more of the functionality they advertised in this feature.
    4. The build aesthetic is remarkable. It has a firmer quality than even the Pre 2, slim and rounded enough to slide in a front pocket and forget it is there.
    5. The Verizon Pre 3 has Skype baked in. It functions unobtrusively inside of the phone app, allowing you to choose between Verizon and Skype for either domestic or international calls. Skype works great, and has the bonus of working with anyone's operating system.
    6. There is a visual-voicemail option in the phone app!
    It is a shame this phone was cursed with HP's stewardship, but I'm glad that a few of us are getting to experience what could have been if they'd released it months ago. This phone certainly portended better devices down the road. And one can still hope.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    3 weeks now and the honeymoon still Is not over, awesome phone, still loving my Pre 3 more and more every day. Sitting here in San Jose, Ca in my car, pandora streaming streaming over the stereo, FreeTether connecting my TouchPad and killing time until it's time to start work.
    Man this H+ ls fast!
    What network are you on?
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Heven View Post
    What network are you on?
    at&t