Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Assuming an AT&T Pre3, unlocked. We know that the AT&T Pre3 supports one of the two TMo H+ frequency bands (2100Mhz). But some people are only seeing EDGE when running an AT&T Pre3 on a TMo SIM.

    My questions:

    1) Is anyone seeing 3G/H+ on a TMo SIM? Do success stories exist?
    2) Are the people who are only seeing EDGE b/c TMo runs 3G/H+ on the 1700 band in their main coverage areas?
    3) Are the people who are only seeing EDGE have incorrect APN settings for TMo?
    4) Is there any way to determine which bands TMo uses in my area?

    My concern with AT&T is that I'm in downtown SF, notorious horrible for AT&T. Want to see an AT&T iPhone 4S user cry? Give them a Sprint iPhone 4S in downtown SF. EVDO speed is better than no connection at all...
  2. #2  
    T-Mobile 3G requires phones that support AWS which needs both the 1700 MHz (for uplink) and 2100 MHz (for downlink) bands. None of the Pre3 models support the 1700 MHz band, so the Pre3 is limited to EDGE data on T-Mobile.

    The Pre3 doesn't run on Sprint. If you have a Pre3, the best USA networks to run it on for fast 3G/4G data speeds are AT&T (requires Pre3 AT&T or Europe GSM model) or Verizon (requires Pre3 Verizon CDMA model). T-Mobile works with the Pre3, but you will only get slower 2.5G EDGE data speeds as you mention. But some people are happy with Pre3's on T-Mobile if they aren't heavy data users.
  3. #3  
    what's the latest on this?

    i've read that T-Mo is going to bump their HSPA+ to 1900 and put their LTE on the 1700. So they can sell faux G to the masses of used smartphone people, and sell LTE to the T-Mo 1700-capable phones only.

    if this is true, we need to find out which markets are using the 1900/2100 bands for HSPA+ and we can use Pre3s on T-Mo at 42, and soon 84Mbps. To heck with LTE.

    Apparently VZN is saying to heck with CDMA for their next hi-speed product; it'll be GSM. All kinds of changes to manipulate the spectrum to their advantage, and hopefully ours.
  4. danimal62's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have a pre3 on T-Mobile just edge speed in the Chicagoland area so far. My battery life like tripled coming off straight talk which is att.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal62 View Post
    I have a pre3 on T-Mobile just edge speed in the Chicagoland area so far. My battery life like tripled coming off straight talk which is att.
    In Springfield, MO if I put the GF's T-Mo SIM in either of my webOS phones (see my sig) I only get Edge. For that matter, when we go out into the hinterlands she only gets Edge with a T-MO branded Galaxy S II.

    I think that 1700 band is crucial to T-Mo speeds as they have that bandwidth all but exclusive in the US. They bid for it, won it and are using it. It gives them an uncrowded frequency for their customers.

    @ Danimal: I see that the Pre 3 skipped including the 850 band for HSDPA HP Pre 3 - Full phone specifications and that might explain your frustration with Straight Talk. Your phone was probably switching constantly between GSM and HSDPA to use both bands ST carries on (850 / 1900).
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  6. #6  
    I tried my T-Mobile SIM in my Pre3 from my office in San Francisco (about 5 blocks south of Market St in the SoMa district near Caltrain) -- still no HSPA+.

    If anyone knows of an app for Android that can tell me the frequencies that the phone is making use of (like an FTD, Field Test Display, type of an app), then I can use my Android phone to get an idea of what is around (I may be able to dig into the Pre3 software as well).
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  7. #7  
    has not lit up with 1900 yet, but am waiting patiently.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by latetothepalmparty View Post
    has not lit up with 1900 yet, but am waiting patiently.
    me too. if T-Mo goes ahead and puts Faux-G on 1900, and LTE on 1700, it will pretty much crush Sprint. i don't care if they're coming out with LTE or not. and with verizon bailing on CDMA, Sprint will become the Betamax of cellular. why? unfortunately, Palm's bad hardware and Sprint's refurb program are to blame. honestly. my nickname should be Tjs7thPre and that doesn't include the 2 or 3.

    but the Pre 3 would be hot on T-Mo's 84 that's coming soon. it has to come to Atlanta!! c'mon! c'mon up to 1900 pcs band and gimme some unlimted 3G-fauxG on 800, 1900, and 2100 i dont care which! haha
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I tried my T-Mobile SIM in my Pre3 from my office in San Francisco (about 5 blocks south of Market St in the SoMa district near Caltrain) -- still no HSPA+.
    Thanks, I live in the peninsula and I was thinking about trying T-Mobile, but I'll go with Straight Talk for now.
  10. #10  
    I've seen scattered reports of 3G and maybe even H+ lighting up on unlocked AT&T phones with t-mo sims. not many though, and it certainly never happened to me (in so. cal). t-mo really won't talk about it either. I suspect it won't be until next year sometime that you'll see any significant 1900mhz coverage on T-Mobile.

    I wonder if voicemail notification will be any better with 3G/fauxG on t-mobile? On GSM/EDGE, I'd only get notified of the first voicemail, and the voicemail button in the phone app would just show a little play button with no indication of how many. After that, I'd get no further notices of new voicemails. Now on AT&T (via StraightTalk), I get notification of each voicemail, and the voicemail button shows a count of the number of voicemails waiting. I don't know if that's a function of the carrier, or a function of the network technology (I'm guessing the latter).
  11. #11  
    My unlocked AT&T Pre3 shows "E" and "G" in the U.S with my T-Mo SIM. (I live in the Atlanta area). I recently went to Germany and the Netherlands for work and took my Pre3 with me. Bought SIMS from Vodafone in Leipzig and Amsterdam. The Pre3 showed "3G" most of the time in the cities, "G" mostly on the train from Dresden to Amsterdam. I used one of Vodafone's prepaid SIM deals where you buy the SIM for 10 €, then top-up as necessary. Way cheaper than using my USA T-Mo SIM! I added a dataplan as well, and found out that many cafes and restaurants in Germany do not offer free wifi; however, in Amsterdam, the opposite was true.
    HP Pre3
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I've seen scattered reports of 3G and maybe even H+ lighting up on unlocked AT&T phones with t-mo sims. not many though, and it certainly never happened to me (in so. cal). t-mo really won't talk about it either. I suspect it won't be until next year sometime that you'll see any significant 1900mhz coverage on T-Mobile.

    I wonder if voicemail notification will be any better with 3G/fauxG on t-mobile? On GSM/EDGE, I'd only get notified of the first voicemail, and the voicemail button in the phone app would just show a little play button with no indication of how many. After that, I'd get no further notices of new voicemails. Now on AT&T (via StraightTalk), I get notification of each voicemail, and the voicemail button shows a count of the number of voicemails waiting. I don't know if that's a function of the carrier, or a function of the network technology (I'm guessing the latter).
    Both. The carrier sends the phone a specially formatted message known as a Message Waiting Indicator (MWI). It is just a specially formatted SMS (Did you know?! SMS was actually NOT developed to be used for 2-way end-user communication, but rather for simple notifications like this and WAP Push, and to test the network.)

    This will give you a simple over-view of what happens (and why sometimes your phone displays a voice mail, but you know that you have read and cleared your inbox): Message-waiting indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    Thanks, I live in the peninsula and I was thinking about trying T-Mobile, but I'll go with Straight Talk for now.
    Yeah. I live in Sunnyvale and commute on Caltrain daily. Honestly, even if T-Mobile lights up HSPA+ on 1900MHz, I may still be disappointed. I get EDGE only going through half of the trip -- and sometimes even just GPRS!!!

    So... My T-Mo SIM remains in my barely used Galaxy Nexus while my Pre3 has the AT&T SIM.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Yeah. I live in Sunnyvale and commute on Caltrain daily. Honestly, even if T-Mobile lights up HSPA+ on 1900MHz, I may still be disappointed. I get EDGE only going through half of the trip -- and sometimes even just GPRS!!!

    So... My T-Mo SIM remains in my barely used Galaxy Nexus while my Pre3 has the AT&T SIM.
    I guess going with Straight Talk was the right move then. I don't talk that much on the phone, but if I buy a year at once, it's around $40 for unlimited everything (but really 2GB limited data). That's a pretty good price for the functionality... not much more than I paid for Sprint SERO on My Treo 300 back in the day.
  15. reedacus25's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #15  
    Very limited reports on the PCS rollout, I can say for a fact that its coming though. Been in a market with it too. Makes me very hopeful and can't wait to see it hit mainstream.

    Birmingham had 1 cell in the Hoover area with PCS 3G lit up and took some screen caps of the Pre3 and iPhone 3G to document it. Big obnoxious pictures to prove it. No HSUPA enabled on the cell, but obviously not EDGE. Probably just a basic HSDPA 3.6 to start the rollout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  16. #16  
    ok, so it's true. i'm in Atlanta, and supposedly we're about to get their HSPA+ moved up to 1900 band.

    i've had a straight talk SIM set to ATT settings in my Pre3. But I have a spare T-Mo SIM, i'd like to stick in and check what data it picks up, if anything.

    what should i set the APN and MMS settings to for T-Mo? right now the phone says SIM-SOS and my settings are all blank. (i'm on WIFI only)
  17. #17  
    found this at T-Mo support, in case anyone wants to try experimenting with settings:

    To setup T-Mobile Internet and picture messaging on your iPhone, follow these steps:

    If you have access to Wi-Fi, start with Setup guide: Apple® iPhone®.
    From the main menu, tap Settings.
    Tap General.
    Tap Network.
    Note: For iOS6, tap on Cellular.
    Verify the following settings:
    Data Roaming: On
    Wi-Fi: Off
    3G Enable: Off
    Note: The Apple® iPhone® is missing the WCDMA 1700/2100 band, and cannot function on the T-Mobile 3G network until the network reallocation has been completed. See: T-Mobile Steps Up “Bring your own iPhone” Efforts.
    Note: Changing the 3G Enable function while the device is on an active call may cause the call to disconnect.
    Tap Cellular Data Network.
    Configure the internet settings under the Cellular Data section:
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Note: For some iPhone unlocks you may need to use wap.voicestream.com.
    Username: <Leave Blank>
    Password: <Leave Blank>
    Configure the picture message settings under the MMS section:
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Username: <Leave Blank>
    Password: <Leave Blank>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080 (Leave Blank for 4S)
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576 (Leave Blank for 4S)
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
    Press the Home button to save the APN and exit to the main screen.
    Verify MMS is enabled:
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Messages.
    Set MMS Messaging to On.
    For iOS5 and lower, Tap MMS first.
    Turn the device off and back on.
    Test the connection by opening the Safari web browser and sending a picture message
  18. #18  
    Turn the cell radio on. It should auto detect the settings. I don't think anyone had done anything to the settings to get 3G, other than what your phone automatically pulls down.

    epc.tmobile.com is also a new APN that I haven't seen before. I wonder if this is new or EDGE only (given the instructions say turn 3G off).
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    ok, so it's true. i'm in Atlanta, and supposedly we're about to get their HSPA+ moved up to 1900 band.

    i've had a straight talk SIM set to ATT settings in my Pre3. But I have a spare T-Mo SIM, i'd like to stick in and check what data it picks up, if anything.

    what should i set the APN and MMS settings to for T-Mo? right now the phone says SIM-SOS and my settings are all blank. (i'm on WIFI only)
    Right now, if you want 3G in Atlanta, go to the airport. I had 3G there a couple of weeks ago (T-Mo on Pre 3). Did a speed test, came to 1.3 mbps from DSLreportss, so true speed probably maxes out at 1.5 mbps. I did noth9ing to the settings, just turned the phone on.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Right now, if you want 3G in Atlanta, go to the airport. I had 3G there a couple of weeks ago (T-Mo on Pre 3). Did a speed test, came to 1.3 mbps from DSLreportss, so true speed probably maxes out at 1.5 mbps. I did noth9ing to the settings, just turned the phone on.
    i've since realized that when i first put in the sim i was just out of their hi speed range. it auto-switched to 3G when i got closer to Atlanta. so yeah, no special steps should be necessary, like when setting up on StraightTalk.

    i'm going to have to move closer in town i guess. farthest north on GA 400 i get it is at North Springs train station. the sighting map is pretty accurate though. c'mon, more towers!

Posting Permissions