Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By blackfireball5
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    is it normal for the camera to make clicking noises when it autofocuses?
    yep and it can't be disabled (yet).
    There's an audible motor noise - but I wouldn't call it "clicking".
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    yea i figured it was a motor. the iPhone, since 3gs has had autofocus right? I never recalled hearing my 3gs rattle...
    Why would you want to disable autofocus? So an OCD person would rather have blurry photos instead of listening to a light clicking noise as the camera lens focuses? Classic, lol...
    whatever the sound is to you is irrelevant to the question the OP has asked, however, it is a sound byte they added, not the camera itself making the noise.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    whatever the sound is to you is irrelevant to the question the OP has asked, however, it is a sound byte they added, not the camera itself making the noise.
    Oh. I don't actually mind the sound. I was just wondering if it was normal haha. I guess if it's just sound coming from the speaker, then there's nothing to worry about. thanks!
    i'm sure that a patch can be developed to get rid of that.
    Against all certainty that this is incorrect, I opened the camera app and put my ear to my phone. The sound is coming from the camera up top, not the speaker at the bottom. Why would HP make a "sound byte" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by maoshouse View Post
    Oh. I don't actually mind the sound. I was just wondering if it was normal haha. I guess if it's just sound coming from the speaker, then there's nothing to worry about. thanks!
    Not the speaker. But normal nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    i'm sure that a patch can be developed to get rid of that.
    Not that you would want to.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    It is the camera itself making the noise. It is autofocus racking. Anyone with an SLR that has a lens with slow/bad AF motor is familiar with this sound. The AF motor is moving the lens back and forth trying to attain focus lock. It's a shame it isn't quieter, but I am impressed that it is pretty quick and pretty accurate, and the camera shutter is practically a hair trigger.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    It is the camera itself making the noise. It is autofocus racking. Anyone with an SLR that has a lens with slow/bad AF motor is familiar with this sound. The AF motor is moving the lens back and forth trying to attain focus lock. It's a shame it isn't quieter, but I am impressed that it is pretty quick and pretty accurate, and the camera shutter is practically a hair trigger.
    Perhaps your handle no longer applies now that we have autofocus

Wish I had a DSLR, but I hear the AF motors on lowly point and shoots as well.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Aside from the camera noise. How are your Pre 3's picture quality? Mine comes out a little blurry. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by syang870 View Post
    Aside from the camera noise. How are your Pre 3's picture quality? Mine comes out a little blurry. :/
    I find it skews a little blue, but isn't bad all things considered. Some come out blurry, but you have to give time for the Auto Focus to actually work. The shutter control is seemingly faster than the AF motor can handle, so regardless of whether you've got focus lock or not, the camera will take the picture when you hit the button.

What the camera really need is a 2-stage physical button so you can half press for AF, then fully depress for the shot. Best way to do this in the current implementation is actually to manually spot focus (tap where you want focus to be), then click the shutter.

It's certainly no iPhone 4/4S, or one of the better Android cameras, but from what i've read it is still light years beyond the crappy EDoF cameras in other webOS phones.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I really thought it was the sound of the camera, i can see it move BTW when it makes that sound.. or maybe, my imagination is moving...in circles lol
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    I find it skews a little blue, but isn't bad all things considered. Some come out blurry, but you have to give time for the Auto Focus to actually work. The shutter control is seemingly faster than the AF motor can handle, so regardless of whether you've got focus lock or not, the camera will take the picture when you hit the button.

What the camera really need is a 2-stage physical button so you can half press for AF, then fully depress for the shot. Best way to do this in the current implementation is actually to manually spot focus (tap where you want focus to be), then click the shutter.

It's certainly no iPhone 4/4S, or one of the better Android cameras, but from what i've read it is still light years beyond the crappy EDoF cameras in other webOS phones.
    Thanks for the tip. I did find out that the native Photo app does not portray the full resolution of the picture or maybe it does I don't know. I just know that it looks blurry in the Photo app. I tested it by sending a picture to myself via email and the photo turned out looking great.
    Last edited by syang870; 10/25/2011 at 01:50 PM.
    A few of you guys are talking about different things. The sound when it auto focuses is the motor in the camera. The sound the phone makes when you TAKE a picture is a sound coming from the speaker.
    OldSkoolVWLover and Tikerz like this.
    I notice that there is no clicking when using the camera for video. Isn't it auto focusing?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I notice that there is no clicking when using the camera for video. Isn't it auto focusing?
    The camera doesn't use autofocus for video. I think it just sets focus to infiniti.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums