Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Firstly, since this is my first post - thanks for the great website and community! As a Pre-/Sprint owner, I've been an almost daily visitor of precentral for years, and I'm very happy to find myself as a member of such a passionate and friendly community.

I just bought an unlocked/ATT-branded Pre3 on eBay for just over $200 (at least one advantage of the whole HP fiasco...), and since it won't run on Sprint, I am now researching the best carrier for it. Here's what I found so far (mostly in this forum):

- T-Mobile: Monthly "value" plans start at only $50 (plus taxes/fees), and just-launched prepaid offerings are even cheaper (starting at $30). Downside is that data speed on the Pre3 will be significantly throttled on the T-Mobile network, because it will run on "2.5G" only due to partly incompatible Pre3/network frequencies.

- ATT: expensive ($65-85 monthly for individual plan, plus fees), but fastest data speed, assuming ATT 4G is available in your area

- Prepaid providers using ATT network (H20, Red Pocket): $60 prepaid a month (fees included), but "only" 3G speeds because ATT does not make 4G available to these companies

What I would like to know is: Are there any other options, or additional thoughts about these options? Which one are you using and what are your experiences? Also, where (area) do you use your Pre3, and how do you use it (how much voice/text/data usage)? Personally, I'm interested if anyone has experience using the Pre3 in Seattle, since that's where I live. All feedback appreciated!
    chicle11 likes this.
    If the speed is important than AT&T might be best ( I use them ), but if all you do is email and web browse without tethering then even 2.5 g speed might be okay. I tether to my touchpad and H+ is great along with free tether which is also free and allows tethering on a non-tethering plan.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    What you need to do is ask people aound you which they use and how the service is. Don't worry that they don't use Pre3s. Ask how the signal is, do they get a lot of dropped calls, are there service holes.

I use ATT because it is the most reliable service where I am normally. One of my brother-in-laws hated ATT, but he lives in a different state. We had Sprint at one time and my phone was almost unusable, but I know a lot of people out west who love it.

So find which works best where you are and then choose from that.
    Is Simple Mobile is the US?
    @bs03, the type of phone absolutely matters. My friend has a Pre Plus on AT&T and I have the Pre3. He consistently gets worse coverage than me at my work. I have done extensive testing, with our phones side by side. An example is in one area of the department, my phone will have 3-4 bars (H+) and his will have 1-2 bars (3G). I have found that my AT&T Pre3 generally gets better reception than others on AT&T.
    I left Sprint and am now using H2O $60 everything plan with Pre 3 and have no complaints.

H2O uses AT&T towers
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I left Sprint and am now using H2O $60 everything plan with Pre 3 and have no complaints.

H2O uses AT&T towers
    Rover....did u set your Pre 3 up initially with H2O or AT&T? Did you use a previous Palm Profile or set up a new one? I'm thinking of starting with AT&T, get the Pre 3 up and running, then switching over to H2O.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    @bs03, the type of phone absolutely matters. My friend has a Pre Plus on AT&T and I have the Pre3. He consistently gets worse coverage than me at my work. I have done extensive testing, with our phones side by side. An example is in one area of the department, my phone will have 3-4 bars (H+) and his will have 1-2 bars (3G). I have found that my AT&T Pre3 generally gets better reception than others on AT&T.
    The reason I said not to worry about the phone when asking around, is not enough people in any given location have Pre3s. If you only asked people who have Pre3s you won't find out how the different carriers' networks in yoir area are.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'd like to see the Verizon Pre 3 compared as well
    I agree that the phone makes a difference with ATT. I was using a Pre 2 on ATT and my 3 G reception was not good in my home area. I now have a Pre 3 on ATT and my reception on H+ is great in the same home area.
  11.    #11  
    My conclusion for now is to go with H20 - ATT is alot more expensive (does not even include texts, unless you pay even more) and from what I've read it's not super fast in my area, so not worth it at all. I'll post my experiences here. Regarding Simple Mobile, from what I read they use T-Mobile network which will definitely be slow - I browse alot on my phone and would really like websites and videos to load as fast as possible.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    What he should do is ask around for those who have phones that are faux G capable. That way he can get a better idea. And yes my Pre3 gets better signal, coverage and speeds than my Pre Plus and Pre2 ever did on AT&T.

PS don't forget that AT&T has unlimited mobile to any mobile calling available at no extra cost as part of the unlimited messaging feature.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The title of this post is the "best" US carrier. The ensuing discussion is centered around the "least expensive" or "best value for the money". This does not realistically describe the best but rather is centered around value. I have a Pre 3 on Verizon and a Pre 3 on ATT (wife). Best cell service defined as the fewest dropped calls and the best overall user experience (speedy data, good integration of services (think Navigator) and service) is Verizon hands down. ATT is almost as good with customer service but there are still dead zones which I do not have with Verizon at all. In fact the Pre 3 with Verizon services has been the single best phone experience ever with not one dropped call over the last almost 4 weeks and I have been to NY, NH, NJ, GA, FL and OH with the phone along with Toronto, Canada. ATT is very speedy on the 4G network and when available it is fun but the overall voice experience with dropped calls (Kappock Street Bridge in NY going to Bronx, Central Park and 79th Street and West Side Highway at 126th Street to just name the NY places) makes my US experience less enjoyable. It is also impressive how Verizon may dip to two bars at the above locations that ATT drops but it will never thus far lose the call. So in my opinion the best overall Pre 3 experience is with Verizon. I have had very similar experiences with my Veer and Pre 2's. I have no financial interest in either Verizon or ATT. Just have a lot of phones and lines.
    Also keep in mind however that yes you will get better call quality on Verizon but that also comes at the expense of shorter talk time when you compare CDMA to GSM. And with AT&T you can talk and surf the web simultaneously, which may or may not be important to you.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    In the real world ATT going back and forth between 3G and 4G makes for more battery drain than the Verizon. I was down to 10% by 6 pm in NYC with ATT and at 30% with Verizon. The difference is remarkable in the real world. Verizon wins on real life time regardless of the talk time if ATT is constantly going between 4G and 3G. Web and talk is a real plus on the ATT.

But "best" carrier for this smartphone in my book is very clear. Verizon.
    YES, an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 with a prepaid good2go mobile SIM card in it DOES get 4G HSPA+

I've tested it myself.

P.S. AT&T Navigator also works. Don't think there's a way for them to charge the $9.99 a month either.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Also keep in mind however that yes you will get better call quality on Verizon but that also comes at the expense of shorter talk time when you compare CDMA to GSM. And with AT&T you can talk and surf the web simultaneously, which may or may not be important to you.
    No. Talk time will be about the same assuming a good signal. The only reason for the shorter talk time would be if you're in a weak signal area which is the trade you make for the better call quality in such an area. Instead of dropping calls you actually keep your call connected more readily.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustermax View Post
    Firstly, since this is my first post - thanks for the great website and community! As a Pre-/Sprint owner, I've been an almost daily visitor of precentral for years, and I'm very happy to find myself as a member of such a passionate and friendly community.

I just bought an unlocked/ATT-branded Pre3 on eBay for just over $200 (at least one advantage of the whole HP fiasco...), and since it won't run on Sprint, I am now researching the best carrier for it. Here's what I found so far (mostly in this forum):

- T-Mobile: Monthly "value" plans start at only $50 (plus taxes/fees), and just-launched prepaid offerings are even cheaper (starting at $30). Downside is that data speed on the Pre3 will be significantly throttled on the T-Mobile network, because it will run on "2.5G" only due to partly incompatible Pre3/network frequencies.

- ATT: expensive ($65-85 monthly for individual plan, plus fees), but fastest data speed, assuming ATT 4G is available in your area

- Prepaid providers using ATT network (H20, Red Pocket): $60 prepaid a month (fees included), but "only" 3G speeds because ATT does not make 4G available to these companies

What I would like to know is: Are there any other options, or additional thoughts about these options? Which one are you using and what are your experiences? Also, where (area) do you use your Pre3, and how do you use it (how much voice/text/data usage)? Personally, I'm interested if anyone has experience using the Pre3 in Seattle, since that's where I live. All feedback appreciated!
    Verizon of course. Best PHONE(talking) quality, and always connected. i have been with verizon for maybe 4 years now. and i can honestly say, i have dropped 6 calls in that time. I have them counted because they are SO RARE.. oh and the web is great.
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
  19.    #19  
    Got the H2O sim card today (bought at best buy) and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Activation was mostly painless, just had to change the APN and load $60 for the unlimited plan (can be done online or through automated service number, no need to buy the refill cards in a store). I got the phone with an unlock code but didn't even need it. Data speed is objectively pretty good, speed test websites report over 1Mbit for up- and download (each). It also shows the H+ symbol. ATT navigator does not work though. Was able to download latest webOS OTA update. I could install Skype (simply through app catalog) but didn't test it yet.

The phone itself is fantastic. Looks like I found the best carrier for it too (by my standards) - good speed and value, all without contract. I didn't consider Verizon since my phone does obviously not support it. (Verizon Pre3's are more than two times as expensive on ebay.) The AT Pre with H2O prepaid is an amazing value - those who don't need full 3G could go even cheaper with TMobile's prepaid offerings.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I'm finding myself pretty torn about all these possible plans. I'm currently on the TMobile $30 1500 plan with 30mb of data. because some of the fine print is misleading on the website (and I was guilty of reading it to mean what I wanted it to mean as well), I used up almost all my data in the first couple of days after getting the phone. I've been making do with my data connection switched off (via the system menu thanks to one of sconix's advanced patches I believe) except when I really need it (I'm on wifi a large majority of the time). I'd been thinking I can get by with only 30mb of data (though I always used over twice that on my VZW Pre+), but I'm beginning to have my doubts that it's really workable. The new unlimited data $30 plan just has too few minutes (100) to be usable.

So I'm torn...

I can spend $40 and get the SimpleTalk unlimited plan and still use T-Mobile's towers, but I lose rural roaming which could be an issue on summer vacation, and of course I'd still be on EDGE data. Earlier today I needed a little data in an area where I had a less-than-prefect signal, and data was so slow it basically didn't work.

I could spend $45 and get the Good2Go 'Unlmited' plan with 100mb of data... then I'm on AT&T's network and the data will be fast and reliable. but it's still little enough data that I'd have to be careful with it.

I could spend $50 and get the H2O 'Unlimited' plan with 250mb of data. that seems pretty good, though apparently the data will be throttled. kinda sucks to pay more and have throttled data, but it's still got to be much faster than EDGE.

I could spend $50 and get T-Mobile's really unlimited plan, which includes their roaming. but then I'm back to EDGE data again... sucks to pay a bunch more and still have slow EDGE data.

So on up I go to $55 for Good2Go 'Unlimited Smartphone' with 500MB of data. Now that's more data than I've generally used, maybe ever. Still not really unlimited though...

$60 then for H2O's really unlimited plan? Ok, great. Throttled data though, and no roaming... sure, it covers everywhere I think I'll need it, but AT&T's coverage map without roaming still has some vast open areas.

I know, I'm being really cheap here. But a cheaper plan is how I justified the somewhat foolish purchase of this Pre3 ($325 when I bought it a month ago), along with the $180 ETF on my Verizon plan. At $30 a month my ETF is paid for within 5 months, and the phone itself is paid for in not much more than a year. At $60 a month, I'm very close to what I was paying Verizon, so I'd hardly be saving anything and the combined $500 I spent on this phone pretty much stays $500 (for which I could have just waited a little longer and bought a VZW Pre3).

Oh agony.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast