1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I see several threads on this issue but none helped me. My issue- it is completely dark in my room right now. I slide up the Pre 3, start composing a SMS and the keyboard light just won't turn on. I tried double pressing the power button (suggested in another thread), played with the brightness of the screen- no change.
    Is my unit faulty? Is there a patch to install to fix that? I read that installing HACKMASTER or XMASTER and adding GLOWHACK could/will help. But how do I do that? I checked in the WebOSQuickInstall Freeware- none of them is there.

Any help, please?
    Thank you.
    The one time I had that happen it was because I'd turned the screen brightness all the way down in settings so as to save battery. It has to be just a bit above all the way down for the keyboard backlight to come on. Hope that helps.
    turn up screen brightness
    i dealt with a non working kb light. but the issue was the back cover. it wasn't closed properly. when i snapped it closed it suddenly worked. (it was a little open near the top). i never tried to repeat this problem. so who knows if that was it was actually the case. worth looking into though
  5.    #5  
    No, I just changed the brightness level to 5, 10, 30, 50, 90, 100 percent- same thing. Although sometimes I can see the keyboard illuminating for a short moment when sliding the screen. Any other ideas?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by branskyj View Post
    No, I just changed the brightness level to 5, 10, 30, 50, 90, 100 percent- same thing. Although sometimes I can see the keyboard illuminating for a short moment when sliding the screen. Any other ideas?
    Thanks.
    ...take the back case off. out it back on. See if that works
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kingka View Post
    ...take the back case off. out it back on. See if that works
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I took the back case off and carefully placed it back on. It fits perfectly to the rest of the body and still the same inconsistency- sometime the keyboard light up for a short moment then it turns off. In most of the cases though it just stays off.
    That's just maddening

Thanks anyway.
    time to try doctoring
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You might want to try to open the slider fully.
    My Pre3 slider opens smoothly, but not fully (about some % of milimeter).
    I have to open it to the moment when the light turns on.

Maybe this is Your case too.
    Try this. Won't cost You much.
    It seems little naive but I was concern at first and pretty scared. But the issue was solved easly.
    I thought that my KB backlight doesn't working and then find out that is slider "fault".

Regards,
    -pretoo-
    Pre3 (UK, QWERTY, Unlocked)
    webOS 2.2.4 (Build 3175), with UberKernel
    UK App Catalog via Impostah
    Orange [PL]
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    I've had this before but when battery was low (less than 10%)
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pretoo View Post
    You might want to try to open the slider fully.
    My Pre3 slider opens smoothly, but not fully (about some % of milimeter).
    I have to open it to the moment when the light turns on.

Maybe this is Your case too.
    Try this. Won't cost You much.
    It seems little naive but I was concern at first and pretty scared. But the issue was solved easly.
    I thought that my KB backlight doesn't working and then find out that is slider "fault".

Regards,
    -pretoo-
    I can't believe this!!!
    That is what the problem was. I just tried it- I popped the slider, the keyboard illuminated for a slight moment, then the light went off. Then I forced the slider with my finger in an upward direction and the light went on again. The only problem is that I have the keep pressing the slider upwards so that the light is ON. Hmm.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. So, somewhat faulty unit, I guess.
    That sounds like a hardware problem, which is good if you purchased a warranted device but bad if it was a firesale variant, such as an AT&T, or Verizon.

I assume you have tried a full on reset now or even a doctor?
  13.    #13  
    Thanks Dsol. I don't know how to use the Doctor but will try it right now. Hope it helps. If not- I have a warranty and will return the unit.