1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just received my new AT&T Pre3 last night and purchased a SIM card today with the $50/month unlimited everything plan. I came home ready to sign on to my profile and start using my new device after being told that I had data included in my plan. However, I keep getting the same error message every time I try to sign in:

Sign In Failed

This may be due to low network coverage or the phone settings on your SIM card need to be entered manually.
    Has anyone else run into this problem? Can someone help me figure out what I may have done incorrectly? Please help!
    Doctor it to webOS 2.2.3 then try again.

Info on doctoring is here. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Doctor it to webOS 2.2.3 then try again.

Info on doctoring is here. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Thank you for responding. I'm downloading the file now.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Is it an unlocked phone?
    You may need to manually enter your apn number to establish a data connection.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan583 View Post
    Is it an unlocked phone?
    You may need to manually enter your apn number to establish a data connection.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    It is an unlocked phone. How do I know what to enter?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreG8tor View Post
    Hi all,

I just received my new AT&T Pre3 last night and purchased a SIM card today with the $50/month unlimited everything plan.

Did you add a data plan? The pre-paid $50/month everything plan does not include data for smartphones.

Can you connect through wifi?
    you probably can't use the pre 3 with the GoPhone $50 unlimited plan. that's why. data won't work.
    try a different plan with data for smartphones and you will be able to sign into your profile.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    Did you add a data plan? The pre-paid $50/month everything plan does not include data for smartphones.

Can you connect through wifi?
    I cannot connect through WiFi at the moment because I can't get past the initial setup. That's where I'm getting stuck. I've never actually been to the home screen on the phone yet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    you probably can't use the pre 3 with the GoPhone $50 unlimited plan. that's why. data won't work.
    try a different plan with data for smartphones and you will be able to sign into your profile.
    I was under the impression that this could be done based on the number of people in the forum that have said that this is how they're using their Pre3 devices while still being on other carriers.
  10.    #10  
    Is there any way just to bypass the profile sign in screen?
    You can find someone with an active SIM Card, input it into your phone, this will allow you to move pass that screen, then take it out and insert your card
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    here is the way bypass:
    below right of the screen you will see phone symbol, touch it you see 'Emergency call" and the appear dial screen, you erase ''911" & replace "#*3386633# press dial. You just turn on " Developer Mode" and restart device
    It is an unlocked phone. How do I know what to enter?
    Google "<name of you provider> apn settings". Basically your phone doesn't contain the known settings for your carrier, and those settings aren't on your SIM card, so the device doesn't know how to get a connection.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    You can find someone with an active SIM Card, input it into your phone, this will allow you to move pass that screen, then take it out and insert your card
    Thank you, Rover. I don't know one person right now who is on AT&T. That sucks.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by antondat View Post
    here is the way bypass:
    below right of the screen you will see phone symbol, touch it you see 'Emergency call" and the appear dial screen, you erase ''911" & replace "#*3386633# press dial. You just turn on " Developer Mode" and restart device
    It worked!!! Thank you so much!!!!!
    It worked!!! Thank you so much!!!!!
    You will need to reset the phone to get your own profile to sign in. Impostah might be of help to you.
  17.    #17  
    I just wanted to come back in here and thank all who replied and helped me out. I have been playing with the Pre3 device for the better part of all night and, aside from occasional lag, it's everything I wanted it to be. I've already patched it up (with most of the patches I had on the Pre+) and it's been good so far.

I've heard people talking about how this should have been the original device and, had it been, Palm would have probably survived. It's a really solid device.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    You will need to reset the phone to get your own profile to sign in. Impostah might be of help to you.
    I didn't want to do that just yet until I decide if I'm going to roll with this phone as my main device.
    If you're using a AT&T Pre3 on AT&T and want to use more than a small amount of mobile data (not Wi-Fi data) every month, consider using a postpaid plan instead of a prepaid plan. The data plans for prepaid plans are very expensive with small data limits and with an AT&T-branded Pre3 (i.e., "smartphone") on a prepaid plan you will probably be forced to buy such a prepaid data plan. The AT&T postpaid plans are cheaper for larger data amounts.
    if you have a European pre 3 you can use the $50 unlimited go phone plan, but you don't get 4g or even full 3g because it is missing one of the at&t frequencies on the antennae that is used for these. I'm currently tethering to one from one of my touchpads and it works ok, somewhat laggy, depending on where a tower is and how much material is between it and me.

my pre 3 of the at&t variety works great in dev mode, but until I switch to postpaid at&t it's just a backup....I pay more than enough for mobile service already. . .but I do so love gadgets. . .
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .