1.    #1  
    Hi all, I am a new Pre 3 user, I've had it for a few days and I must say, it's a very likeable phone, with character and a certain distinction.

I'm in the UK and decided to get it from Carphone Warehouse on a Vodafone contract.
    The phone is selling for around 300 off line so it's cheaper for me on the 24month Vodafone contract @ 10.50 a month!! It's like getting the phone cheaper on interest free credit! and they included a box of accessories including the Touchstone charger, car charger thing and ear buds - all official HP and palm products!
    I just chucked my contract Orange sim in and am very happy!

Being a Macintosh user, and a Mac owner (owned a Mac since 95) I'm all for Apple products as they're beautifully made, intuitive to use and the WebOS on the pre 3 is so fine that I wonder why Apple haven't bought WebOS or at least emulated (read 'copied') some of the features in iOS.

I also have an iPhone 4 which I love, but which at times seems clunky and unintuitive compared to the card and swipe system on the Pre 3 - I think a perfect mobile OS would be a combination of iOS and WebOS (disregarding Android, as Android being nothing but a mockery of both in my opinion)

I do like the handset, (( I chose it as a) I have a Touchpad and b) I prefer a physical keyboard to a virtual onscreen one)) but the design does look a bit dated and business like compared to latest offerings from others.

I can only imagine what designs other manufacturers would produce if given the chance of creating a WebOS device.

IS there any way of porting or installing WebOS to say a HTC or Samsung handset?

I've sync'd the TP and Pre 3 via Bluetooth and it works great - being able to chat while texting using the HP is brilliant!
    s there any way of transferring my SIM contacts on the Pre to the TP?

Is there any software which would enable my Pre 3 to sync with iTunes on my Macintosh?

And finally, battery life on the Pre is poor, I use mine as a phone first and foremost (my iPhone 4 I use to browse, email etc while at work and out and about) so have set it to 2g only with no data and the battery life is phenomenal now - I used my phone all day, texting and spent about 3 hours talking and this evening I have just under 50% battery life left!! Excellent!! (I switch on 3g as and when required)

all in all, am very happy and I hope the OS isn't abandoned and I hope more devices and apps are produced (I'd love an iBooks clone on the Pre!)

Just a few tips needed, can anybody recommend a snug fitting case for the Pre 3?

And regards 'Theme's', do they slow down the handset?

cheers
    Last edited by le_risque; 10/22/2011 at 03:47 PM.
    That's high praise from the owner of an iPhone 4. It truly is an excellent phone and OS. The selection of hardware has always held webOS back. If HTC bought them, the OS would truly take off, no doubt about it.

With regards to iTunes... guess what? Once upon a time you could sync webOS phones with it, then Apple disabled it. That's what they do, lock you in and lock others out.

Worth taking a look at the PreCentral store if you're after a case. I'm sure they'll have something to suit your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by le_risque View Post
    I've had it for a few days and I must say, it's a very like able phone, with character and a certain distinction.
    Agreed.

I also have an iPhone 4 which I love, but which at times seems clunky and unintuitive compared to the card and swipe system on the Pre 3
    Agreed.

I can only imagine what designs other manufacturers would produce if given the chance of creating a WebOS device.
    You and me both. The hardware is what mostly held it back.

Is there any way of porting or installing WebOS to say a HTC or Samsung handset?
    No. WebOS would have to be open source. Only small parts are open source. So it is near impossible and possibly illegal.

Is there any way of transferring my SIM contacts on the Pre to the TP?
    I have a CDMA Pre 3 so I can't confirm. But, if there is a import SIM contacts to phone option, use that and then upload them to an account you have that manages contacts such as google/gmail(or I guess palm profile would work??). Then sync that same account to the TP. The hard part is getting the contacts off the SIM. If the Pre does not have a import SIM contacts to phone option, then put the SIM into a old phone that does have that option, and then get the contacts off that phone, onto your computer, then upload them to an online contacts account, and sync that account to the Pre then TP.

Is there any software which would enable my Pre 3 to sync with iTunes on my Macintosh?
    Depends on what all you need to sync. You can use doubletwist for music and photos as far as I know. The webOS is an open OS, so you don't NEED to use any software. Just plug in the Pre and hit "USB Drive" on the Pre and you will see the Pre appear as a USB drive on your computer. Simply drag and Drop your files. If you have anything in particular you are concerned about syncing, let me know.

And finally, battery life on the Pre is poor, I use mine as a phone first and foremost (my iPhone 4 I use to browse, email etc while at work and out and about) so have set it to 2g only with no data and the battery life is phenomenal now - I used my phone all day, texting and spent about 3 hours talking and this evening I have just under 50% battery life left!! Excellent!! (I switch on 3g as and when required)
    Yeah, the battery life sucks. Something that can really be helped too much on the Pre 3 in particular.

I hope the OS isn't abandoned and I hope more devices and apps are produced
    *Crosses Fingers*

Just a few tips needed, can anybody recommend a snug fitting case for the Pre 3?
    Don't know of any, I recommend searching ebay. I got a Pre 3 screen guard off of there.

And regards 'Theme's', do they slow down the handset?
    No they don't. But I don't know if there are any that work with the Pre 3.
    No problems with battery life here? It's a smartphone, expect it to last through the day and not a great deal more.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys!
    I've installed HP Play on my macintosh so no problems with iTunes sync there, though it only sync's music and alas not Video.

The case I'm seeking is one which resembles the official blackberry one where the screen is uncovered, but things are a bit spartan on that front.

All in all, as an iPhone user, again, the Pre 3 holds it own in its own right without resorting to trying to rip off iOS (a la Android) Palm has a massively long history and is a PDA pioneer, when Apple were ****ing around with Newton, Palm was there too, so deserves to be bought by one who cares and one who will be able to give it the upgrades and hardware it deserves.
    welcome. What do you think to the touchstone charger? Can't believe nobody else has copied it yet.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    welcome. What do you think to the touchstone charger? Can't believe nobody else has copied it yet.
    Hi mate, the Touchstone is excellent, I only have the one for my Pre 3, but it stays on there, and so naturally!
    to be able to use my Mac, with my HP TP next to it and my Pre 3 on the touchstone, being able to sms and phone etc using my TP so simply and effortlessly is a great system!

yes I'm so surprised no one has copied it...yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    Yeah, the battery life sucks. Something that can really be helped too much on the Pre 3 in particular.
    Err - what?

Battery life on the Pre- was borderline and I wouldn't really disagree if somebody classified it as "sucks".

But the Pre3?

When I compare to the battery of my friends with Iphone4 it's pretty much the same battery life.

With my Pre- I had to be careful and just about had enough juice to get through most days - if I were very very careful with it.
    But with the Pre3 things are much more relaxed. Now I can use it much more carelessly and still have reserves at the end of the day.

There's a few things you can do to optimize battery life:
    * Move screen brightness to minimum. That is plenty bright enough for indoor use. I only up the brightness when I use it outside with sunshine.
    * Install "Data in Device Menu" patch from Preware. Keep 3G data switch off whenever you don't need data access or have wifi available. Screen brightness and 3G radio are the 2 biggest power drains. There's a lot of wifi available in many places.
    Also consider toggling off the data temporarily when you are in places with bad connections and not actively using the internet. The radio will use more power to try to compensate for bad reception.
    * Set your EMail to a reasonable interval - most people don't need email notifications on any second.
    * When you are in a cinema, movie theater or conference, etc.. - switch to airplane mode. Uses almost no energy and is switched on/off very quickly (unlike powering off and rebooting - though the Pre3 at least boots much faster than the Pre-).

You can automate a lot by using Mode Switcher.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5