Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello

I bought a TouchPad and am really liking it.

Now I am wondering if I should get a Pre 3 or is that a bad idea?

I'm getting an unlocked 3G one for about $240.

Is the Pre 3 a fast device? I am using an iPhone 4 at the moment. I will also miss WhiteHall that I use to chat with my iPhone and BB buddies
    I am really growing to love my Pre3, but I also hate it at times. Battery life really is just middling, and I find Messaging to be pretty inconsistent (I'm signed in, but either can't send or can't receive messages on several accounts; bizarre).

For most people, I would say pass on the Pre 3, simple because you will not find much support for it outside of places like this. The app catalog pales in comparison to most everyone else, and with webOS in limbo, new developers are hesitant to even bother. Virtually no accessories (good luck finding a spare battery). This is a very niche product now, if it wasn't niche before.

The compelling reasons to go with a Pre 3 would be slightly better TouchPad compatibility (phone sharing, SMS sharing, Touch-To-Share), and a somewhat compatible app catalog. webOS is beautiful and intuitive, and runs even better on the Pre 3 than it does on an overclocked TouchPad.

You are coming off an iPhone so... It's hard for me to definitively say you'll be happy here. They're worlds apart in terms of support and ecosystem.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the app catalogue is quite small. With messaging, is gmail as sporadic as some of the threads are making it to be?
    I hate my Pre3 more than love it, even though the Touchpad is great.

everythingsablur is right on the mark, but I also find it is just not a good phone. Voice dial is terrible, handling it without pressing incorrect entries and prompts is difficult, and trying to read things on the fly or sort phone numbers is not easy. While it is handy having similar operating functions with the Touchpad, there are even slight differences there that make it less instinctive (mainly related to the function button at the bottom center of the Touchpad that is not on the Pre). And as noted, messaging is hit and miss, both SMS and Skype. So as a communication device its performance is poor. Maybe patches and upgrades will offer improvement.

As a longtime Palm user, I wanted to be able to continue to have similar capabilities and operating system. This is no reason to stick with Palm capabilities for a phone. Got mine for about $220 on e-bay, so not feeling burnt on price. AT&T is my carrier.

Enjoy your Touchpad, but stick with your iPhone.
    Last edited by Tallguy; 10/21/2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added name of carrier
    I love my Pre 3, I have no regrets at all, just an awesome phone. Battery life has been good. I have no problems what so ever handling my phone (I hold by the edges, not rocket science here folks). And the SMS with at&t has been flawless. Only time I need voice dial is when I drive and it is all done via BT thru my audio system. The keyboard is awesome and prefer it to any VK. There many people with Pre 3s in here that love their devices and not for just paring with their TouchPads.
    I love my pre3 also. I sold my pre2 and pre plus to help pay for it. The person who bought my pre plus ended up buying a pre3 also she liked webos so much even though she is on T-Mobile.

The 3 has a great keyboard and a good camera. It should be faster than it is but its still good. I bought a second one to have a spare battery.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    If you're a fan of webOS you'll love the pre3. Best webOS phone yet no doubt.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the replies.

How frequent are updates from HP? Safe to say once a month? Also, does double tapping the space key turn it into a .
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post

How frequent are updates from HP? Safe to say once a month? Also, does double tapping the space key turn it into a .
    Haven't had mine long enough to see more than one update. At the rate HP is going, who knows what's in store for WebOS and updates.

No, double tapping the space key does not yield a "." and double tapping a letter does not yield an upper case (capital) letter.

There was one update but you should buy the phone expecting no more. No need to double tap space key for a "." like on a blackberry. All palm phones have always had a dedicated key for a "."

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    There was one update but you should buy the phone expecting no more. No need to double tap space key for a "." like on a blackberry. All palm phones have always had a dedicated key for a "."
    QFT.

This emphasizes my point about support the most. No one knows the future of webOS. HP says they will continue to support and develop it, but without developing new hardware, what are they developing webOS on or for? Printers? Really? No one gives a flying fark about webOS on a printer.

Buying a Pre 3 without much prior personal history/investment in webOS should almost be looked at as buying a feature phone. Buy it for what it can do today, not what it might be able to do in the future. No one knows what that looks like...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Everyone's needs differ. For me, I would be happy once we get NDrive and document editing on the 3.

..and a way to turn screen rotatation off.

...and the close slider to end calls patch.

....and Google Latitude.

.....oh well no phone is perfect. Long live webOS!

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk for Android
    I liked my Pre 3 compared to my touchpad..
    I used touchpad for a couple of days and kept it on the shelf.. but always used Pre 3 still using it..
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Everyone's needs differ. For me, I would be happy once we get NDrive and document editing on the 3.

..and a way to turn screen rotatation off.

...and the close slider to end calls patch.

....and Google Latitude.

.....oh well no phone is perfect. Long live webOS!

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk for Android
    close slider to end calls and open slider answers to speakerphone is available via a tweaks patch.
    I like my Pre3 I bought 2 one for my brother who really liked my pre plus and requested that I buy a veer for his wife and Pre 3 for him.

It has been really responsive and much faster than I was expecting. A few days ago, I was explaining to a friend of mine; why webOS devices are perceived to be slow (the blinking glow before the app loads) and could not get that to happen, every app opened almost instantly.

Screen is gorgeous and for some strange reason looks a lot bigger than iphone even though it is just 0.08" bigger.

I have noticed that it is having trouble with my wifi for some reason, it will stop working in the middle of a conversation (skype). I have not tested it extensively though. I am hoping it was just a fluke and that there are no compatibility issues with my router (cisco linksys 3000). All of my other devices have had no issues (touchpad, pre plus, veer, Pre 3 and Pre minus).
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    close slider to end calls and open slider answers to speakerphone is available via a tweaks patch.
    Yeah tried that for over a week and its never once hung up a call for me. Besides id rather have the close slider to end calls except for headset or bluetooth or speaker.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    I came from iphone 4 and got a pre 3 to go with my touchpad too. I'd say go for it, I have not been disappointed yet. The only thing that might stop some people is the limited amount of apps. For me its sufficient though, I use twitter a lot, plenty of apps for that, I hardly use facebook, but the app is good. And I use google talk or skype to chat with my wife who's on iphone 4.

All in all, it'll take a bit of getting used to when switching from iphone 4, however video playback is absolutely amazing on the pre 3 as compared to iphone 4.

You'll find some apps are not fullscreen, but there's a simple solution for that, just download internalz from preware, and change the index.html file of the app to add <meta name="viewport" content="height=device-height" />

Its such a breeze using the physical keyboard too, I've got big hands but manage fine with the keyboard...

I only just recently got a touchstone for my pre 3, and it makes life so much easier, I keep my pre on it all day so no worries about battery life anymore, its always full :-) if you're in uk, you can get them from clove.co.uk for 15 quid.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Regarding messaging, its not the pre having issues but the recipients. My wife's iphone acts strange and has problems re messaging...

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the app catalogue is quite small. With messaging, is gmail as sporadic as some of the threads are making it to be?

Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    I love my pre 3 and it works perfectly for me. But each person is different and you need to decide for yourself if this phone and it's limited ecosystem are adequate for you. What apps do you use and does webos support that.
    Don't expect any updates from HP or support for that matter, what we have is all we will have. If for some reason an update appears be happy for the gift but don't expect any more.
    The phone must work for you as it is TODAY and if not don't do it.
    Personally I'm looking at buying a second one for my backup too since it will take a bit of time for Android to completely integrate all the features I love about WEBOS - but that too is coming. (ice cream sandwich looks very interesting).
    Good luck with your decision.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks everyone. Think I'll go for it. If I don't like it, I'll sell it back as it is unlocked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast