Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rwhitby
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have a UK Pre3 with a busted screen and the two fixes available seems to be one of the following:
    1. Getting a new UK Pre3 and use that instead of the old one.
    2. Getting a US Pre3 and take the Comm Board from the UK version and install it on the US Pre3.

I don't see any fun in option #1, so I think I'm more inclined towards option #2. However, since this has not been done before there's no guarantee it will work. If it doesn't, I guess I have the option of replacing the Screen on the UK Pre3 with the one from the US version and all I have lost at the end of this process, is my spare time.

One benefit from this switch would possibly be a UK Pre3 with 16GB of storage. I'm not sure about this because of the following photo. It's a stripped UK Pre3 and on the back of the comm board it says '8G' and '16G', where 8G is in red color.

The fact that this is written on the comm board would probably suggest that the memory storage unit is located on the comm board rather than the main board. In terms of cutting production costs this seems logical.

What do you think?
    see rods post below, my bad
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 10/21/2011 at 08:47 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    This picture suggests its an EU Pre3.

Could you please clarify. Are you saying that the Memory Storage has no relation to the Comm Board, or at least not in the past?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Ahh, I see! Thanks for clarifying. Then I think I will try doing the switch since both UK and US Pre3 are priced the same.

Do you think I have to do something more on the software side other than UK doctoring both phones, before I start with the disassembling..?
    The daughterboard in a Pre 3 is not a comms board, it is a memory board.

There are no Sprint comms boards in any of my Pre 3 internal photos.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Sorry misunderstood the comment. I see what you are saying now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Also, the flash memory on the memory board contains all the modem-related partitions.

However, the modem-related partitions are specific to the version of the main board.

So there's going to be a tricky more-complex-than-meta-doctor software procedure needed for this type of memory board swap to be successful.

I'm probably going to try it sometime, just for the scientific endeavour of it (no idea when, since it will need significant free time to do it). I have a spare AZERTY and AT&T Pre 3 ready for the experiment.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sorry misunderstood the comment. I see what you are saying now.
    It might be a good idea to edit those posts, so others are not misled.

-- Rod