1.    #1  
    Well...my Pre3 should arrive today (Fri) or Monday. So, trying to get my "ducks in a row" on how to do this. A little background, I have had my Pre- since 6/6/09...first day. Love the platform and really did not do any tweaking to it (I know, hard to believe, just worked for me as is). But now, I just want the webOS experience on a more powerful device. My contacts and calendar have been with Google since 6/6/09, so nothing crazy there to transfer. I have backed up my ringtones and any pictures I'd like to keep. I have sent out back up files of data from a few apps that I track certain things on. Is there something there that I'm missing here?

So, it appears when I turn my Pre3 on for the first time it will ask me to sign into my Palm Profile, correct? By the way, does the Pre3 normally come with a good charge or does it need to be charged first? I'll be switching to AT&T service from Sprint, so do I need to activate the phone service first before proceeding? I have wi-fi in my home, so could signing into My Profile be done via my wi-fi network? If so, since my wi-fi network requires a password, I assume it will ask for it? Is there anything tricky with this process I should be aware of?

On my Google contacts and calendar, I forget if there is something I need to do to start that process or does the Palm Profile process start that?

Sorry for the basic questions, but just trying to have as smooth of a transition as possible. Thanks in advance for any info on this or recommendations.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Same questions here... would be a great topic for a sticky!

I know it's a good idea to use Save/Restore then copy its files off the Pre-. And put the Pre- into airplane mode before logging in with the Pre3, in case I need to get any data from it.

Can the Pre3 be set up before getting AT&T service?/

Is there a way to keep the Pre- usable on wifi, but still take it off the profile?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have the happy problem of being in the same position, transitioning from Pre+ to Pre3 (got one of the Verizon models). I have one additional wrinkle, that being that I also have a profile for my TouchPad.

Thanks, in advance for any tips (in addition to the good ones already given).
  4.    #4  
    Whew.....glad I wasn't the only one with these questions. I have done a little investigating on the Google part, and now remember that is fairly easy. But still wondering if the first step should be getting my new AT&T account set up and my phone activated with them first? Or, do I need to sign into my Palm Profile first and then go to AT&T?

I too have a TouchPad, but my profile is the same for both my current Pre- and my TP and will keep the same profile for my Pre 3. Do you have a two different profiles?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    If you are truly switching and don't intend to go back then I would use your existing profile on the pre3 from the start. That's what I did when going from pre- to pre3.

These are the steps I followed:
    Backup the pre-
    Use save/restore to save all the app data
    Make a complete copy of the pre- flash drive
    Put the pre- in airplane mode
    Switch on the pre3 and log in with existing profile
    Leave it a few hours for apps to restore
    Install preware and save/restore
    Copy save/restore folder and any pics/music/video and docs required from the pre- backup
    Use save/restore on pre3 to restore all app data

As a final step when I was happy the pre3 was set up ok I created a new profile for the pre- so that I could runit as a spare. It doesn't have the paid apps as they all moved onto the pre3 but it is a useful spare.
    for those of you who transitioned From a CDMA webOS phone to GSM here is what you need to keep in mind. (I did from Verizon to AT&T)

1. Do not terminate your services first. You will need to port your number (if you still want to keep your old number) the networks need a live number.

2. For back up. You will need save and restore App from preware... To back up preware, you need to update "saved package list" just go to the menu of preware, then save it thru save and restore.

3. Bare minimum you need a working SIM card with data. You can only use Cellular data to Sign in to your palm/webOS profile. Unless you do a developer mode procedure dialing #*devnode# (i think not sure) it will boot up your phone. But using an active sim is easier :-)

thats it. Of course you Have to Transfer photos and videos and other files Manually.

now if you want To save your apps and stuff on your old webos phone.

DO NOT SIGN IN TO YOUR WEBOS PROFILE IN YOUR NEW PHONE WITHOUT TURNING ON AIRPLANE MODE IN THE OLD PHONE.

you can not have both phones online (be it cellular data or wifi), one device will be restored to factory settings (remote wipe). Although your usb data will remain intact.

hth
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    for those of you who transitioned From a CDMA webOS phone to GSM here is what you need to keep in mind. (I did from Verizon to AT&T)

1. Do not terminate your services first. You will need to port your number (if you still want to keep your old number) the networks need a live number.

2. For back up. You will need save and restore App from preware... To back up preware, you need to update "saved package list" just go to the menu of preware, then save it thru save and restore.

3. Bare minimum you need a working SIM card with data. You can only use Cellular data to Sign in to your palm/webOS profile. Unless you do a developer mode procedure dialing #*devnode# (i think not sure) it will boot up your phone. But using an active sim is easier :-)

thats it. Of course you Have to Transfer photos and videos and other files Manually.

now if you want To save your apps and stuff on your old webos phone.

DO NOT SIGN IN TO YOUR WEBOS PROFILE IN YOUR NEW PHONE WITHOUT TURNING ON AIRPLANE MODE IN THE OLD PHONE.

you can not have both phones online (be it cellular data or wifi), one device will be restored to factory settings (remote wipe). Although your usb data will remain intact.

hth
    John....thanks for good info. I don't have any preware on my Pre- so do I need to do Step 2 above?

In Step 3 above, you mention needing a "working SIM card with data", this is what I would get from the carrier I am switching to, AT&T, correct? So, once I get my Pre3 activated at AT&T then I proceed with Step 3?

Thanks for the help....it is VERY MUCH appreciated.

8.    #8  
    Is the operating system on the Veer the same version as on the Pre3?

Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    John....thanks for good info. I don't have any preware on my Pre- so do I need to do Step 2 above?

In Step 3 above, you mention needing a "working SIM card with data", this is what I would get from the carrier I am switching to, AT&T, correct? So, once I get my Pre3 activated at AT&T then I proceed with Step 3?

Thanks for the help....it is VERY MUCH appreciated.
    For step 2, yes you will need preware for that since that is where you get save and restore.

For a working sim, if you will be getting a sim from at&t that would do.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Is the operating system on the Veer the same version as on the Pre3?
    The veer has 2.1 while the pre3 has 2.2.3. The veer is said to be going to be updated to 2.2 too but everybody's waiting.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post

John....do you remember the exact name of the "save and restore" app from preware? Did a search for it and couldn't find it. What is that application backing up and where does it save it to?

It's literally called Save/Restore and it saves stuff into the USB partition. You copy the saved info to the other phone's USB partition, then run Save/Restore on that phone to restore the info.
    just search for SAVE and you will see the save/restore app.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    In general, the transfer according to andyhurley's tip succeeded just fine.

Except - sorry to say - a couple of things:

Preware stand-alone installation to Pre 3 failed. My computer (Windows XP) didn't recognize Pre 3 at all in the begining.
    WebosQuickinstall did the job, though.

Email accounts (6 in total) didn't setup properly on Pre 3. Email messages were transfered OK, but accounts' names and login infos were garbled. For example, the login user names were swapped between accounts. And, even worse, the user names seem to be inaccessible in Pre 3 so, they can't be corrected, either.
    The only solution I could come by was to remove the accounts altogether and setup back again manually from the scratch. Luckily enough, the messages were then automatically retrieved from the mail servers.

Another disappointment was that LinkedIn app didn't survive to Pre 3. Incompatible with webOS 2.x, perhaps? I didn't check this beforehand. Not a big deal, but a minor disappointment, anyways.
    Last edited by Lemstil; 10/28/2011 at 03:04 AM.
    So, it appears when I turn my Pre3 on for the first time it will ask me to sign into my Palm Profile, correct?
    yep.

By the way, does the Pre3 normally come with a good charge or does it need to be charged first?
    All devices with lithium batteries come with a charge of about 70-80%, because that is the area where the battery suffers the fewest from ageing. So a setup directly out of the box is no problem, that's what I did, too. But you can also charge it with the USB-cable and do the setup while charging.

I'll be switching to AT&T service from Sprint, so do I need to activate the phone service first before proceeding?
    Yes, at least if you don't want to do funny things with impostah.

I have wi-fi in my home, so could signing into My Profile be done via my wi-fi network?
    No.. this is somehow connected to the phone activation and restricting your profile to app cat access for a particular region on GSM phones. The profile activation is always done over cellular network, so you need some data plan. Or you have to do funny stuff with impostah and developer activation.

If so, since my wi-fi network requires a password, I assume it will ask for it?
    wi-fi needs to be manually set up after activation. When the profile is activated on the phone it will gather data from the backup server, which includes all profiles and information of what apps where installed, memos and messaging (only webOs 2.1) and so on... then it restarts (only luna I think) and the usual webOs interface is visible. Here you can (and should) activate wi-fi and insert the password for it. The phone will now be busy for some time downloading and installing all the apps, so wi-f is a very good idea.

Is there anything tricky with this process I should be aware of?
    If you had a device with webOs 1.4.5 installed until now, you should be aware of the fact that you can't go back. Your profile will be converted into a 2.x profile which is a one time process and it won't work on a 1.4.5. phone anymore. At least that is what we were told when the first 2.x phone (pre2) came out. There is heavy conversion taking place in the background, that is sure.

On my Google contacts and calendar, I forget if there is something I need to do to start that process or does the Palm Profile process start that?
    The palm profile remembers your account information.

Is there a way to keep the Pre- usable on wifi, but still take it off the profile?
    Yes. You can use impostah to prevent it from being deleted. Have a look in the webos internals wiki for that. Appcatalog and OTA updates will be disabled for the pre- then, but that should not matter much, I guess...

Have fun with your new phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    Another disappointment was that LinkedIn app didn't survive to Pre 3. Incompatible with webOS 2.x, perhaps? I didn't check this beforehand. Not a big deal, but a minor disappointment, anyways.
    I'm not sure what the linkedin app did (in fact I never have used inkedin and don't know what features it has and so on), but in the account setup (new in webOs 2.x) you can setup a linkedin account. Maybe that does some of the things you want from linkedIn?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I'm not sure what the linkedin app did (in fact I never have used inkedin and don't know what features it has and so on), but in the account setup (new in webOs 2.x) you can setup a linkedin account. Maybe that does some of the things you want from linkedIn?
    My bad... Actually, LinkedIn is now integrated in webOS 2, so LinkedIn contacts syncs automatically in Pre 3. Well, this happened only after I removed existing LinkedIn account from Pre 3 and added it back in.
    The transfer somehow broke the connection to LinkedIn but that could be reestablished by this off and back again move.

Another issue appeared with web browser; bookmarks list opened time by time OK or empty. Fortunately, there was a patch for that and now bookmarks list opens just fine.

So, in all, the transfer succeeded mostly OK, but not great.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Yes. You can use impostah to prevent it from being deleted. Have a look in the webos internals wiki for that. Appcatalog and OTA updates will be disabled for the pre- then, but that should not matter much, I guess...

Have fun with your new phones.

Actually, I wish there was a way to activate a Pre- as wifi only with Palm Profile. Impostah would work for just teching around, but not for most games. My plan when I got my Pre3 was that I gave my Pre2 to my 10 year old boy for a phone and my Pre - was going to my 5 year old girl to play games and music on and take pictures with the camera, but without being a phone as I cancelled Sprint. Before I was going to give it to her, I did a full erase so it would be squeaky clean and work like butter. Talk about a mistake! Now I have no options to get Angry Birds, etc on there for her. In short, a paperweight, and a disappointed little girl who thinks her daddy should be able to do everything, so I'm kind of ticked. I even tried getting the American Roaming Service to see if that would work to get by the Palm Profile setup; no dice. To play in the App Catalog, it appears you have to pay the phone company piper!
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    I too am moving to a Pre 3 purchased on eBay ... from an at&t Pre +. I recall seeing instructions in another post for moving to a new WebOs device but cannot find it. Have searched for an hour. If I only have one Sim (the one in my current Pre+) how does one make the move?
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDuck88 View Post
    I too am moving to a Pre 3 purchased on eBay ... from an at&t Pre +. I recall seeing instructions in another post for moving to a new WebOs device but cannot find it. Have searched for an hour. If I only have one Sim (the one in my current Pre+) how does one make the move?
    I used info from this thread and one which I started:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-pre-pre3.html

The transfer was fairly simple.