Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have the original Pre on Sprint, if I need to remain on Sprint, what's the best webos phone I can buy online to put on my account?
    Last edited by 19841776; 10/20/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    1. Does having the original Sprint Pre have anything to do with your decision?
    2. What do you want to do with your phone?

I don't know how to answer your question without knowing more.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    1. Does having the original Sprint Pre have anything to do with your decision?
    2. What do you want to do with your phone?

I don't know how to answer your question without knowing more.
    Sorry I meant to say what's the best webos phone I can buy & use on my sprint account.
    The bad news is that there is no stock phone better than the original Pre for Sprint.
    If you want a better phone, you will have to FrankenPre your current Pre with a Pre Plus or Pre2.
    I have a Pre Plus waiting for me to do this. I really don't know why I'm waiting, but I wait.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    The bad news is that there is no stock phone better than the original Pre for Sprint.
    If you want a better phone, you will have to FrankenPre your current Pre with a Pre Plus or Pre2.
    I have a Pre Plus waiting for me to do this. I really don't know why I'm waiting, but I wait.
    That's what I was afraid of...
    you can put your sprint radio into a pre2, and that is the best (only) solution for sprint.
    "Just 2 it."
    SmartFah likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you can put your sprint radio into a pre2, and that is the best (only) solution for sprint.
    Is there a thread/guide for this? Sounds scary... lol
    I also have an original Pre on Sprint, and I've been very seriously considering doing the Frankenpre thing. The only thing holding me back is that I read somewhere that you aren't able to use Sprint Navigation after you do the mod. Is this true? If so, are there any other options for turn by turn directions? I'm talking about something that gives you directions as you go, not Google or Bing maps that don't really help when you're driving and trying to watch the road.
    if you are unsuccessful getting Sprint Navigation to work, you can buy nDrive in the App Catalog.
    I got Sprint Navigation to work on my Pre Plus (on Sprint). I'm not sure if it is/isn't possible with the Pre 2...
    Quote Originally Posted by 19841776 View Post
    Is there a thread/guide for this? Sounds scary... lol
    There's a couple threads in the forums about it, but all the info you need about it is here:
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

This guide should get you through the process without any issues, as long as you follow the directions & don't skip anything. I did mine back in March without any issues. Sprint Pre 2 is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    This guide should get you through the process without any issues, as long as you follow the directions & don't skip anything. I did mine back in March without any issues. Sprint Pre 2 is the way to go.
    So does your Sprint Navigation work on your Pre 2? I had heard that making a Frankenpre will break Sprint Nav.

Also, is it important to get a Verizon Pre 2 since it'll also be CDMA, or does it not matter if it's a GSM version since you're swapping out the com board?

Thanks for any advice!
    Go to AT&T...

Seriously though, the Pre2 is a dream. In the last 4 months I have used a Sprint Pre, Veer, Pre2, and Pre3.

I have been using the Pre3 for less than 24 hours, but I would say for overall day to day use the Pre2 was/is my favorite.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Go to AT&T...

Seriously though, the Pre2 is a dream. In the last 4 months I have used a Sprint Pre, Veer, Pre2, and Pre3.

I have been using the Pre3 for less than 24 hours, but I would say for overall day to day use the Pre2 was/is my favorite.
    Yeah, that's not gonna happen. My husband has AT&T and hates them. I've had Sprint for more than 10 years now and have been very happy with them. I don't see any reason to pay more for AT&T service. But I'm definitely going to Frankenpre soon!
    We were on Sprint for 10 years, made the switch over the summer, much happier and paying less.

At least with the frankenpre you won't get hit with the $10 per line fee.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    defiantly worth getting the pre2 and frankenpre'ing it. I love my frankenpre2, i copied sprint navigation over and it works great. Its too bad sprint has turned to **** since the evo came out. my internet speeds average around 50k if im lucky. it's completely unacceptable so I am exploring options. I entered a custom PRL that let me use verison towers and i would get 1.5m + consistently. the only problem with that was i was always roaming, i hear that too much of that can get your service turned off. So i really wanted a pre3 on verizon but those are too expensive and hard to get. So I got an att pre3 using it with h20 wireless currently to see if i want to swap. h20 is not really better. it will spike up to like 800k then throttle down instantly. It does however give me access to att's wifi hotspots which was a surprise as i sat in starbucks drive thru and it said welcome to att. The pre3 however is awesome it feels amazing just to hold, solid, sleek and sexy. I did have some problems with my old apps running correctly unfortunately. looks like I will be ordering a veer from amazon for free and going with att damn 2gb cap : but sprint is far worse i couldn't get 1gb if i tried so it will be better. been with sprint for 12 years now time to change i guess.
    Staying on sprint I also recommend going the pre2 route. The pre3 is sweet but in overall performance I have to give it to the pre2.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    I would say that unless you can switch to a different carrier (AT&T, H2O etc) going Android with ICS may be your next best option. ICS will be available in the next couple of months so you can wait and see what the reviews are like but judging from 2.34 on Evo 3D it should be pretty good. Mathias does seem to have made it a much more cohesive platform.

Windows Phone 7 with Mango seems to be pretty good too but I am not sold on Microsoft embracing homebrew yet. I am also not a big fan of HTC arrive. The best phone with Windows Phone 7 IMHO is Dell venue pro but it is not available on Sprint, the 2nd best is samsung focus which is exclusive to At&t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The only thing holding me back is that I read somewhere that you aren't able to use Sprint Navigation after you do the mod. Is this true?
    Google should turn up instructions on how to get Sprint Nav installed on a FrankenPre 2 from the forums. I did all this (this week!) and Nav works just as well as it did before the "surgery."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Also, is it important to get a Verizon Pre 2 since it'll also be CDMA, or does it not matter if it's a GSM version since you're swapping out the com board?
    For the most part, it doesn't matter if you get GSM or a VZ Pre 2. Either will work. (Edit: It will matter in terms of which meta doctor script you use, though.)

A VZ Pre 2 is preferred as the length of the antenna cables that go to the com board is the same, so everything fits better. The GSM version has longer antenna wires you have to tuck in.

I've been noting to folks lately that if you use the pictorial wiki page for the upgrade process, it isn't pictured that you can remove just the com board from the back bezels by disconnecting the black/white antenna cables. They plug/unplug just behind the metal shield where those two cables go to the com board. You can (gently) pry up the shield right there to get to the connection, no problem.

Kinda important thing to know if you want that shiny new back bezel with its fresh buttons and headphone jack!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast