Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser123 View Post
    Wow, thank you captain obvious. How about I turn all data off too, would that work?... Sorry for the sarc, but c'mon, I rely on email for my business, hence the reason I've had Blackberries for the past 4 yrs, so collecting email twice during my business day is unrealistic, as it is for most people who would like to use this phone for more than staring at it in an off position. Email for one account is set to collect as it arrives(gmail push), and the other 3 are set for once an hour (also gmail, but testing for battery preservation).
    Hah! Very funny. And I feel your pain. I'm a power user as well, and I've spent some time fiddling with my settings. I actually set my email to not pick up mail on the weekends, and when I'm not working and the battery life is fantastic. But if I'm on the road, and I need constant updates, well, I make it to about 3 pm.

You may want to try Mode Switcher. It will automatically change settings for you and it can help with battery life.

The sad news is that this is the trade off with all modern smartphones. My GS2 lasted around the same time with heavy use. And I hear that some Android phones are worse than the Pre. And yes, even the iPhone can run out of power with heavy use. I see it at work many times. And I laugh at my co workers who fight for outlets to plug in their iPhones when I can simply slip in an extra battery and keep working. I have a couple of extra batteries for my Pre 2, and I'm looking forward to getting an extra battery for the Pre 3.

Get an extra battery, fiddle with your settings, and check out Mode Switcher.

And good luck.
    Oh, and I had an issue with lag. I uninstalled Uberkernal and everything went back to it's smooth scrolling self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Oh, and I had an issue with lag. I uninstalled Uberkernal and everything went back to it's smooth scrolling self.
    That is probably because the stock kernel doesn't offer compressed cache, but you are more likely to encounter the TMC error.
    You will see little lag with uberkernel sometime but without it you will get the dreaded TMC more often for sure .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm OC'ed to 1.9GHz with the beta version of Uberkernel. Props to the folks cranking out these breakthroughs on end-of-the-road devices.

Somehow, it seems like the issue with the lag has more to do with memory management and the use of the compcache mechanism. Reminds me of when I was running webOS 2.1 on Pre- with uberkernel... I avoided the GMC messages but the performance was unpredictable and after a number of apps, it would lag considerably.

Is there a way to make more of the 512MB of memory available for running thirdparty apps etc. The Palm Pre 2 and Pre + with webOS 2.x seemed to manage the memory issues better... and consequently gave the impression of better performance.

I love Uberkernel, and I am absolutely certain that the kinks will be worked out and they will come up with some ingenious way to keep the experience lag free, but until then I'm going to be Uber free. The stock kernel isn't that bad at all. Compared to my old Pre minus, it's amazing.
    I think webOS will never be lag free by design. Same is true for
    my windows and mac computer. eyeos is doing some tricks that let you think it's lag free.
    Nothing is lag free even your eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    I'm OC'ed to 1.9GHz with the beta version of Uberkernel. Props to the folks cranking out these breakthroughs on end-of-the-road devices.

Somehow, it seems like the issue with the lag has more to do with memory management and the use of the compcache mechanism. Reminds me of when I was running webOS 2.1 on Pre- with uberkernel... I avoided the GMC messages but the performance was unpredictable and after a number of apps, it would lag considerably.

Is there a way to make more of the 512MB of memory available for running thirdparty apps etc. The Palm Pre 2 and Pre + with webOS 2.x seemed to manage the memory issues better... and consequently gave the impression of better performance.

Pre 3 only has 380 MB of memory. The rest is used exclusively by the modem firmware.

-- Rod
    Rod off topic, first I like to thank you for all your efforts and would like to know whats the chances of any issues with the pre 3 being fixed by webos internals or developers, since there is a possibly no chance of future updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by s1241sm View Post
    Rod off topic, first I like to thank you for all your efforts and would like to know whats the chances of any issues with the pre 3 being fixed by webos internals or developers, since there is a possibly no chance of future updates?
    The same chance as with any other previous webOS device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    And that translates into an excellent chance.

Also off topic, is there any fatigue in the internals group with HP? You guys must be as fed up with HP as the rest of us...
    Also off topic, is there any fatigue in the internals group with HP? You guys must be as fed up with HP as the rest of us...
    We continue to work with the items that are freely available, and the devices in the market (either new or second hand). HP's turmoil-of-the-week usually has little effect on the actual homebrew development activities of WebOS Internals.

We do this stuff for ourselves and our users (regardless of market share or popularity), not for HP.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The new mojo FPS booster patch + buttah + A-1 1.9ghz kernel + disable logging + setting min CPU freq to 700mhz -- made my Pre 3 super duper smooth and lag free.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    The new mojo FPS booster patch + buttah + A-1 1.9ghz kernel + disable logging + setting min CPU freq to 700mhz -- made my Pre 3 super duper smooth and lag free.
    HOLY CRAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    And how did it make your battery?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345