Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Can you explain to a noob what Auto GC in JSTop means?

Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Since enabling Auto GC in JSTop, the lag issue seems to have been band-aided. I agree the issue should be addressed directly soon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    One of the issue is that a first you download tons of stuf for applications and profile, most of it in the background and then people do not understand the speed is not great ...

Let it cool down and then it will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post
    Can you explain to a noob what Auto GC in JSTop means?
    The application JSTop has a feature called "Auto Garbage Collect" that can be enabled or disabled. The purpose of this feature is to clear the cache of any unused memory and free up RAM space
    What is the load average that is being reported by Govnah for the laggy Pre3 and the ones that don't have a problem?

Mine seems a little slow at times and Govnah is reporting a load average of 8 or 9. I know that is way too high especially if Govnah is the only card that is open.
    I've been working on trying to love this phone, but it's getting tough. Trying to work out the horrible battery drain (15%+/hr), I installed govnah and uberkernnel. This caused a HUGE lag, which I attributed to the low cpu minimum, changed that to 246, still slow, so 768 seems to be what I can live with. The problem, is it's still lagging, most frequently when opening or closing the phone app. When I take my phone away from my ear after a call to hang up, it takes about 4 secs to display the screen and maybe another 1-2 secs to see the red hang up button. I am also seeing 8-9 for a load average.

I jumped on this phone, knowing it was unsupported by the manufacturer, but figured it had to be a complete phone if they were sitting in a warehouse ready to go. My wife's stock pre+ is much snappier and responsive compared to my phone. Yes, the pre3 has much more going for it, but in order to use it for 90% of what I do, it fails (phone call, emails and battery lasting all day). I switched from a blackberry torch, which was a solid phone with the exception of it began constantly freezing.

Any suggestions on tweaking the settings to get battery life longer and maintain a responsive phone? I'd rather not switch back, but it's looking more like it...someone talk me down from the edge.
    *Treo 600, *Treo 650, * Treo 680, *Treo 800, Palm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser123 View Post
    I've been working on trying to love this phone, but it's getting tough. Trying to work out the horrible battery drain (15%+/hr), I installed govnah and uberkernnel. This caused a HUGE lag, which I attributed to the low cpu minimum, changed that to 246, still slow, so 768 seems to be what I can live with. The problem, is it's still lagging, most frequently when opening or closing the phone app. When I take my phone away from my ear after a call to hang up, it takes about 4 secs to display the screen and maybe another 1-2 secs to see the red hang up button. I am also seeing 8-9 for a load average.

I jumped on this phone, knowing it was unsupported by the manufacturer, but figured it had to be a complete phone if they were sitting in a warehouse ready to go. My wife's stock pre+ is much snappier and responsive compared to my phone. Yes, the pre3 has much more going for it, but in order to use it for 90% of what I do, it fails (phone call, emails and battery lasting all day). I switched from a blackberry torch, which was a solid phone with the exception of it began constantly freezing.

Any suggestions on tweaking the settings to get battery life longer and maintain a responsive phone? I'd rather not switch back, but it's looking more like it...someone talk me down from the edge.
    There is definitely something buggy about the Pre 3 but I've finally managed to get mine to behave, at least for now. My suggestion is to stick with it and continue to troubleshoot the issue and reading these forums. Eventually whatever is happening will be tracked down and squashed somehow. I believe I have narrowed down my issue to 1 of 2 things.

A third party app causing a critical bug in webOS 2.2.3
    or Bluetooth

Ever since I removed Phnx, Wallpaper Slideshow, and turned off bluetooth my Pre3 is only losing 1-2% battery per hour. And for the last couple days I've had no problems, the phone has been great.

Now all of this could be a coincidence, more testing is needed but who knows, maybe you're using bluetooth too? Or you have a rogue app that just isn't playing nice with the Pre3 and webOS 2.2.3 ?

Good luck !
    The fastest way to get much better battery life is to set your email profile to collect email once every 6 hours or once a day. You should notice much better battery life after that.
    after finally transferring from Pre2 to Pre3 I seem to be suffering a lot of lag. Lots of actions taking couple of seconds to respond. And unlike my Pre2, getting lots of TMC errors, even with 1 to 3 cards open!

Not patched it yet but frankly am surprised at this since my Pre2 out of the box, unpatched did not suffer this way. Anyway will patch, update & maybe try Govnah/UberKernel if required & report back

Don't get me wrong, I love webOS! Just need to smoothen this Pre3 out
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    The fastest way to get much better battery life is to set your email profile to collect email once every 6 hours or once a day. You should notice much better battery life after that.
    Wow, thank you captain obvious. How about I turn all data off too, would that work?... Sorry for the sarc, but c'mon, I rely on email for my business, hence the reason I've had Blackberries for the past 4 yrs, so collecting email twice during my business day is unrealistic, as it is for most people who would like to use this phone for more than staring at it in an off position. Email for one account is set to collect as it arrives(gmail push), and the other 3 are set for once an hour (also gmail, but testing for battery preservation).
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser123 View Post

I just checked and the phone app with the red hang up button pops up for me w/in 1/2 a second of moving the phone from my ear.

I have not done any specific checks, but the battery life seems much better than my old Pre- or my Veer.

I would be happy to test anything you like if it might help you run down what is cause you these issues. I am running Warthog Kernel with govnah at 125MHz/1.4016 GHz, ondemandctl. I see a load avg of betweet 8 and 9. I have 2 imap email accounts that are set to collect as mail arrives. I am also logged in to facebook, but not Skype. I leave bluetooth on. Brightness at about 50% and dim at 1 minute.

Let me know if you want me to test anything!
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    at&t pre 3 here and I have yet to experience the lag problem. Is this an issue with all pre 3's? Should I be expecting it to happen sooner or later? Mine is much, much snappier than my pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    at&t pre 3 here and I have yet to experience the lag problem. Is this an issue with all pre 3's? Should I be expecting it to happen sooner or later? Mine is much, much snappier than my pre 2.
    I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I have noticed is the memory management isn't as good as the Pre 2, can't open nearly as many cards (I haven't loaded UK or anything though).

While playing a podcast over BT with ringer switch off, I do get a slight hiccup when a SMS comes through. I haven't tested this extensively, just noticed it on my way home last night.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    I just checked and the phone app with the red hang up button pops up for me w/in 1/2 a second of moving the phone from my ear.

I have not done any specific checks, but the battery life seems much better than my old Pre- or my Veer.

I would be happy to test anything you like if it might help you run down what is cause you these issues. I am running Warthog Kernel with govnah at 125MHz/1.4016 GHz, ondemandctl. I see a load avg of betweet 8 and 9. I have 2 imap email accounts that are set to collect as mail arrives. I am also logged in to facebook, but not Skype. I leave bluetooth on. Brightness at about 50% and dim at 1 minute.

Let me know if you want me to test anything!
    Thanks for the info. I seem to be in a better place today, though, I really haven't done much other than 4 battery pulls yesterday just to test a couple of things. I seem to have cut my battery drain down to around 7%/hr which is more in line with acceptable. The lag also has settled down, only thing changed was a couple of tweaks in phone settings to allow answer on open, hang-up on close (why weren't these factory settings tho)... I'll try and keep an eye on things and see how they progress and make notes when I tweak more things.
    Try setting logging to minimal, open the phone app, type #*LOGS# then hit send. Click Change Logging, the Set to Minimal. Hit Yes when prompted, you should notice an immediate difference.

I've noticed that for some reason this seems to reset, so check it every now and then... Also, install the Muffle Logging patch, and the Unset CFQ patch. I'm using WarthogKernel from the alpha/beta feeds, ondemandtcl, 1.4Ghz, 0.1sec sampling and 65% up threshold, with NOOP as the IO scheduler.

Everything's very smooth, although the messaging app needs work!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Try setting logging to minimal, open the phone app, type #*LOGS# then hit send. Click Change Logging, the Set to Minimal. Hit Yes when prompted, you should notice an immediate difference.

I've noticed that for some reason this seems to reset, so check it every now and then... Also, install the Muffle Logging patch, and the Unset CFQ patch. I'm using WarthogKernel from the alpha/beta feeds, ondemandtcl, 1.4Ghz, 0.1sec sampling and 65% up threshold, with NOOP as the IO scheduler.

Everything's very smooth, although the messaging app needs work!

I have turned off logging completely on my Pre 3 through the method above. What I would like to know is if the Muffle System Logging patch is needed after that. Haven't seen any notable difference in the responsiveness of my device after any of the above, though. The only thing that makes a huge difference for me, i.e. lag changes from unacceptable to quite acceptable, is turning off the Compcache in Govnah. Unfortunately, it seems I have to redo that after every device restart as it returns to the Palm Default Profile w Compcache on.
    my pre 3 has been laggy of late, think it was buttah, things approved after that was removed. Resisting the temp to do both the above (logging & compactor) at once so I can do some proper testing....
    15% battery drain per hour, 2 second lag, TMC after 1-3 apps, etc...
    None of that is normal.

Either those affected got faulty hardware - or (more likely ) it's particular apps/patched that causes this.

Battery life is actually a very nice and almost drastic improvement over the Pre. Especially impressive with larger screen, much higher resolution and almost 3* the clock speed (1.4 vs 0.5).

My GF hardly uses data and get almost 5 days out of it.
    With my moderate to heavy use I get 1-2 days.

I use wifi over 3G as much as possible. I switch off either wifi or 3G when not needed.
    I don't let apps run in the background unless really needed and I set EMail to a reasonable interval of 30 minutes. And I set screen brightness to minimum - which is plenty bright for indoors - I dial it higher when needed outside in the sunshine.
    3G and screen are the main power drains.

I haven't even installed UeberKernel yet. Had it running for a year on my Pre but so far didn't feel the need. Everything is nice smooth and quick enough.

TMC error is a sign that an app is leaking memory. Try to find the culprit by trial and error. If you already had TMC several times - what app was running every time? Likely the one with the leak.

I had only a single TMC on my Pre3 so far - and that was after using a flash site for a while. Flash is a buggy resource hog even on desktop systems. So not too surprised that it is troublesome on a phone. Everything was fine after I closed the browser.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    A-1 Skyraider kernel now available in the alpha feeds. I just overclocked to 1.9 GHz on a Pre 3 successfully. NOW we're talking! If you still have lag after this I would throw it out or sell it.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    A-1 Skyraider kernel now available in the alpha feeds. I just overclocked to 1.9 GHz on a Pre 3 successfully. NOW we're talking! If you still have lag after this I would throw it out or sell it.
    Thank you for this information! Great news! Installing now!

Question- What are you monitoring to learn this information? (or is it just from your subscription to the alpha feeds?) Is there a discussion about this kernel going on somewhere? (I did not see anything in the forums)

Thank you!
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Follow @webosinternals on Twitter. -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast