Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by BagyiDaw View Post
    I'm experiencing this lag on pre 3 too.
    I have installed uberkernel and tried both default and conservative governor.
    But still lag.
    menu drop down, apps opening, app title change, ... lags.now even screen lock does not show up after a few seconds( 4-5 sec)....
    I'm really surprised because my low end android(800 MHz, 256 MB RAM) with custom ROM is even smoother than 1.4 GHz 512 RAM) LOL
    Perhaps because webos does not cache apps like android??
    log screen not showing up after 5 seconds..... even after 2 seconds is not normal at all.
    There is something wrong with your Pre 3s, almost everyone in here are reporting snappy response with no lag what so ever. Try doctoring and if that doesn't work than you might have defective devices.
    After reboot, it looks OK... I'll try doctoring later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    There is something wrong with your Pre 3s, almost everyone in here are reporting snappy response with no lag what so ever. Try doctoring and if that doesn't work than you might have defective devices.
    Agreed, not using OC, but my Pre3 is quicker than the Pre2 I had been using....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    need to learn more about your phone and webos
    +1 - sounds like the whole concept of webOS has gone over your head. Maybe you'd be better suited to something like a Nokia C1-01?
    Quote Originally Posted by kingka View Post
    to be even more specific. there was even a 2.5 second delay in launching the dialer, which is completely unacceptable for a PHONE. (which has been reduced to about .5 - 1 second).

there was lag in opening up contacts, lag when msging people on google (hit enter to send msg, msg doesnt send till a 1.5 - 2 seconds later).

also, there was a 7 second (timed) lag when you are browsing the hp app catalog after you hit "catagories". since updating the kernal thing it has been reduced to 1.5 seconds.

even msging is almost instantaneous now, opening up the msging app is flawless. i wish it was all like this out of box. slowly falling back in love with the pre 3

any lag over 3 seconds is pretty noticeable.... anyways, point being, if it wasnt for this community out of box pre can in no way compete with modern smartphones.

so when people tell me how blazingly fast their pre 3 was before the updates, patches and kernals. I kinda scratch my head. def not worth dropping 600 on this phone. 200-300 is perfect, and thats only after the updates. im even willing to put up with the annoying clickyness of the loose slider for the price I paid. I would be seriously ****ed if I payed 600-700 for this with all those issues.
    Just you mate, mine was silky smooth out of the box and still is. Very fast and responsive.
    I've only been playing with my new Pre3 for about 24 hours now, but I can honestly say that I have noticed enough lag for it to be a bit of a nuisance. I have it overclocked and everything. It's not a huge deal, but it is something that noticeable at times and a bit bothersome.
    After reboot, it looks OK... I'll try doctoring later on.
    I don't think it needs doctoring. Monitor the size of the SWAP file in Govnah. It slowly creeps up until the performance starts to suffer. When it gets over 100MB I tend to reboot.
    I am a bit disappointed. perhaps because I'm expecting much from 1.4GHz.
    I think OS or something inside itself is not implemented efficiently? Just my thought.

I've changed logging to minimal now. and will see if there's any improvement.

Btw, is there any task manager that will show me running apps & services( sys Manager apps & services) not linux top or ps.....
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I don't think it needs doctoring. Monitor the size of the SWAP file in Govnah. It slowly creeps up until the performance starts to suffer. When it gets over 100MB I tend to reboot.
    pretty ridiculous having to re-boot a cellphone. just to get things running smooth. be honest, have you ever had to do that with any other phone you've owned?
    pretty ridiculous having to re-boot a cellphone. just to get things running smooth. be honest, have you ever had to do that with any other phone you've owned?
    Yes. two Windows mobile phones, two Palm OS phones. My friend has an android phone and she has to restart sometimes too.
  12.    #52  
    I've never experienced that. but then again. this is the only smartphone I've owned. so I guess it makes sense. thx
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Yes. two Windows mobile phones, two Palm OS phones. My friend has an android phone and she has to restart sometimes too.
    I've never experienced that. but then again. this is the only smartphone I've owned. so I guess it makes sense. thx
    I had every BlackBerry I've ever owned (... like 6 of them) set up to automatically restart every morning at 5 AM. These are smartphones, aka. little computers. If you're coming off of a feature phone, welcome to a whole new world.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    It needs updated, the OTA update, Preware update, uberkernal update. Keep looking for updates first couple days and then run it Palm default. I see no problem with my phone.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    I had every BlackBerry I've ever owned (... like 6 of them) set up to automatically restart every morning at 5 AM. These are smartphones, aka. little computers. If you're coming off of a feature phone, welcome to a whole new world.
    I miss the time when phones didnt need to be "updated", with patches, new OSs and fixes.
    I agree. especially as the Pre 2 didn't suffer from this. i'm hoping they will fix it with an OTA sometime.
    I miss the time when phones didnt need to be "updated", with patches, new OSs and fixes.
    They still make plenty of phones that don't need any of the above. You'll just have to sacrifice other functionality for that simplicity.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Seriously?

Of course you have to reboot smartphones! Every single smartphone I've ever owned had to be rebooted occasionally including a nokia N8, a blackberry curve, a blackberry bold 9700 and a nokia 5800. Sometimes multiple times in a week! My gf has to reboot her iPhone 4 all the time.

These are not phones, these are computers! And they are running a cutting-edge os and software. They need to be rebooted occasionally just like any desktop computer. As they are all programmed by humans and subject to group think and management decisions, etc., you're not going to find a "perfect" smartphone any time soon.
    Last edited by jayteeee; 10/29/2011 at 02:02 AM.
    I don't think rebooting is a solution at all.
    My 3 years old laptop with linux can run without slow down for more than 2 weeks.
    my android phone can run about a week without reboot. Reboot usually are due to tweak , etc...
    I believe there's memory leak...in pre 3 Os. Cannot confirm will try to check out..
    whether phones or computers, rebooting is not a solution. And the bug or problem must be solved.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I don't think rebooting is a solution at all.
    My 3 years old laptop with linux can run without slow down for more than 2 weeks.
    my android phone can run about a week without reboot. Reboot usually are due to tweak , etc...
    I believe there's memory leak...in pre 3 Os. Cannot confirm will try to check out..
    whether phones or computers, rebooting is not a solution. And the bug or problem must be solved.
    Since enabling Auto GC in JSTop, the lag issue seems to have been band-aided. I agree the issue should be addressed directly soon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast