Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Hahahah you want lag? All I need is my pre+ for that hahah the pre 3 is redicilously fast. I have 8 cards open and its sooooooo quick its almost scary

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    anyway to hide contacts on the sim card? I was able to on my pre plus, but I can't seem to find the option on the pre 3.
    I don't have a sim card, but I don't think you can hide them. Synergy should link them to the same contacts from other sources.

Learn use "just type" and never open the contact spp again. Takes a bit to get used to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingka View Post
    cool, did you install the kernal? or overclock it? or is this straight out of box experience?
    Both. I was using the stock Palm kernel until today, and I only put Uber on for better power saving potential. They seem to perform virtually identical given they're at the same clock speed (1.4 GHz). The Pre3 doesn't seem to need as much help as the TouchPad does in the clock speed department...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  4.    #24  
    oh *****........ now my keyboard light doesnt work. havnt touched govna, so it has nothing to do with that. i open the keyboard, light stays on for a second. then shuts off...i think this is post uberkernal because i remember it working before.
    Tweak it. Uberkernel made my phone 100x better ..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
  6.    #26  
    I've already added uberkernal. now the kb isnt working. does anyone remember which thread had the list of patches and reviews of patches for the pre 3? I remember there being an extensive list, with screen shots and all that jazz

ok.. now the kb light is working. i noticed the back case was not snapped closed properly, as soon as a closed it, its working perfectly... i wonder why that prevented the kb light to work...
    ok.. now the kb light is working. i noticed the back case was not snapped closed properly, as soon as a closed it, its working perfectly... i wonder why that prevented the kb light to work...
    There are actually four contacts mated to the back cover, primarily for Touch-to-Share communication and Touchstone charging. Perhaps not fully closing the cover broke a connection.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  8.    #28  
    that has to be it. good to know. it was barely noticeable. the top part where the silent ringer switch is wasnt completely snapped together
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Which lag?
    to be even more specific. there was even a 2.5 second delay in launching the dialer, which is completely unacceptable for a PHONE. (which has been reduced to about .5 - 1 second).

there was lag in opening up contacts, lag when msging people on google (hit enter to send msg, msg doesnt send till a 1.5 - 2 seconds later).

also, there was a 7 second (timed) lag when you are browsing the hp app catalog after you hit "catagories". since updating the kernal thing it has been reduced to 1.5 seconds.

even msging is almost instantaneous now, opening up the msging app is flawless. i wish it was all like this out of box. slowly falling back in love with the pre 3

any lag over 3 seconds is pretty noticeable.... anyways, point being, if it wasnt for this community out of box pre can in no way compete with modern smartphones.

so when people tell me how blazingly fast their pre 3 was before the updates, patches and kernals. I kinda scratch my head. def not worth dropping 600 on this phone. 200-300 is perfect, and thats only after the updates. im even willing to put up with the annoying clickyness of the loose slider for the price I paid. I would be seriously ****ed if I payed 600-700 for this with all those issues.
    Last edited by kingka; 10/21/2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't have a sim card, but I don't think you can hide them. Synergy should link them to the same contacts from other sources.

Learn use "just type" and never open the contact spp again. Takes a bit to get used to that.
    thanks, but I do that already, one of the reasons I like the pre, I don't have to hunt through my contacts, I can just start typing the name and it comes up. I just put my sim in an old nokia phone and erased it, it was over 200 contacts that I had already ported over to my exchange account anyway, but it was just annoying always seeing double. Thanks though.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    to be even more specific. there was even a 2.5 second delay in launching the dialer, which is completely unacceptable for a PHONE. (which has been reduced to about .5 - 1 second).

there was lag in opening up contacts, lag when msging people on google (hit enter to send msg, msg doesnt send till a 1.5 - 2 seconds later).

also, there was a 7 second (timed) lag when you are browsing the hp app catalog after you hit "catagories". since updating the kernal thing it has been reduced to 1.5 seconds.

even msging is almost instantaneous now, opening up the msging app is flawless. i wish it was all like this out of box. slowly falling back in love with the pre 3

any lag over 3 seconds is pretty noticeable.... anyways, point being, if it wasnt for this community out of box pre can in no way compete with modern smartphones.

so when people tell me how blazingly fast their pre 3 was before the updates, patches and kernals. I kinda scratch my head. def not worth dropping 600 on this phone. 200-300 is perfect, and thats only after the updates. im even willing to put up with the annoying clickyness of the loose slider for the price I paid. I would be seriously ****ed if I payed 600-700 for this with all those issues.
    Anything that happens after a card is opened can be attributed to Network delay. "Typically" rendering a webpage should not be a bottleneck for any modern mobile OS. webOS is slower than most but it is not a major difference.
    I need to reboot mine often to keep it running smoothly. Seems to be all about the amount of swap memory being used. After 2 days use it sits at over 100MB even with no cards open. Maybe one of my apps has a memory leak.

personally I don't describe delays opening apps as lag. That's just slow loading. Lag is time between interacting with controls and the app responding.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Anything that happens after a card is opened can be attributed to Network delay. "Typically" rendering a webpage should not be a bottleneck for any modern mobile OS. webOS is slower than most but it is not a major difference.
    never said anything about web pages. infact web browsing was the only thing i didnt complain about. but even that has been improved a bit.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I need to reboot mine often to keep it running smoothly. Seems to be all about the amount of swap memory being used. After 2 days use it sits at over 100MB even with no cards open. Maybe one of my apps has a memory leak.

personally I don't describe delays opening apps as lag. That's just slow loading. Lag is time between interacting with controls and the app responding.
    most of what i mentioned has to do with app interaction. again, all problems have been solved by the kernal. hasnt really changed my view on the pre. still a nice handset. i just think i wont be buying a backup. only thing i'm disappointed with is the loose/clicky slider when open. seems as though thats pretty common, but considering this is supposed to be a premium handset, its a little disappointing.
    most of what i mentioned has to do with app interaction. again, all problems have been solved by the kernal. hasnt really changed my view on the pre. still a nice handset. i just think i wont be buying a backup. only thing i'm disappointed with is the loose/clicky slider when open. seems as though thats pretty common, but considering this is supposed to be a premium handset, its a little disappointing.
    I'm using uberkernel too.

my slider has zero side to side play and only the smallest amount up-down. Action is very smooth too.
    I percieved a slight lag on startup, and right off the touchstone.. but once it got going, it was pretty quick.

I solved this by going into Govnah and created a new profile and set the min CPU fruquency to 756 mhz...

PS.. oh, and, btw, I was able to open as many as 34 cards (with apps running, not just open cards, including the music player) simultaneously, before performance was affected in any way.

This device is ridiculously powerful in so many areas, and with a little knowlodge (like the tidbit I gave above), it can be fine tuned to minimize any lags whatsoever.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/22/2011 at 06:12 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

With webOS you'll always get lag to some extent. Better learn to leave few most used apps like phone and email app always open. You do not have to leave contacts open because universal search(or just tipe ) works great for contacts and pretty much anything.
    did you set minimal logging and add all those performance patches thru preware ?

To minimize logging,
    1. Dial "#*LOGS#"
    2. Clear logs
    3. Set Minimal logging

good luck.
    I'm experiencing this lag on pre 3 too.
    I have installed uberkernel and tried both default and conservative governor.
    But still lag.
    menu drop down, apps opening, app title change, ... lags.now even screen lock does not show up after a few seconds( 4-5 sec)....
    I'm really surprised because my low end android(800 MHz, 256 MB RAM) with custom ROM is even smoother than 1.4 GHz 512 RAM) LOL
    Perhaps because webos does not cache apps like android??
  20.    #40  
    i havnt even touched govna, but the lag issue disappeared once i installed the webos kernal, restarted, then installed the uberkernal. i may have installed a few patches but im not sure.
    i figure since there is very little lag now, there is no point in tinkering with govna, i dont even understand that prog
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast