Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By 19841776
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    OK, I'm spending $500 to buy a VZW Pre3 I found on Craigslist. I'm picking it up this weekend. The seller told me it's not sealed, but "I only took it out of the box to put 2.2.3 on it so it will work."

I told the seller I'll want to inspect it when we do the exchange. The only problem is, I'm not sure what to inspect for. Physically, of course, I'll look for scratches etc, but is there anything in particular I need to look out for? And from a software standpoint, is there anything special I need to do? I figure I'll probably re-doctor it anyway so maybe the software isn't that important, but I still need all the advice I can get.

Thanks!
    I would request that you meet @ a Verizon store & have them clear the ESN before handing over any cash.

If the seller isn't okay with that, then you may have just dodged a very costly bullet...
    I would open 5+ cards. Tell the person to download (if they can) battery monitor so you can see 24 hr life and stats, slider quality scratches, hmm anyone else wanna jump in go ahead... But chx settings for 2.2.3 also, I HONESTLY would ask to "activate" it first on your network to make sure it works.. It should only take 5 minutes total time. And also make a call, check speakerphone take a picture a video, dude, you should tell him you need 30-60 minutes also. To test it. If he isn't hiding anything, he won't have a problem(my personal experience) if its all good, nothing wrong. Go for it.. But know, for 100$ more you can go on ebay, and have buyer protection.. Even tho all the auctions I have seen are NO RETURNS... Your choice. I did the ebay thing, had to update to2.2.3 before it worked.. So maybe he updated it, and tested it and didn't want it... You never know.. I'm sure there are a bunch more things to do. But this might help...

Oh and anyone who reads this, check out my post about the screen protectors. (VIKUITI ADQC27)

Good luck man!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    I'm thinking he updated it just to remove a complication from the selling process. It's a good way to avoid angry feedback from people who wonder why it wouldn't activate.
    Quote Originally Posted by 19841776 View Post
    I would request that you meet @ a Verizon store & have them clear the ESN before handing over any cash.

If the seller isn't okay with that, then you may have just dodged a very costly bullet...
    this!
    you can just call Verizon support and have them check the meid for you.

however meeting at a Verizon store does sound like a nice idea as well.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 19841776 View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by "clear the ESN"?
    It means make sure Verizon will allow the phone on their network.
    Meeting at the Verizon store and activating the phone is the best advice but you can also go to the device info and select the drop down menu in the upper left and run the self diagnostic tests to make sure all systems are functioning properly.
    If he claims that the phone is updated to 2.2.3, you should be able to activate it on verizon network right on the spot. Sign in to your profile, make a call, take a photo... and if it is all works, you are all good.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the responses -- this is great stuff. Cyph, I noticed that nobody responded to your screen protector thread, so I posted something about it on another thread where someone mentioned that same protector. Hopefully that will spur someone to respond to your thread.
    The EIN would be free unless the phone was reported lost/stolen or not a valid verizon phone. Since Verizon is the olny CDMA carrier AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $with$ $any$ $pre3$, $you$'$re$ $looking$ $for$ $if$ $it$'$s$ $legitimate$ $or$ $not$...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy