Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Guys,
    I'm headed on a business trip to the UK and have order a prepaid EU SIM Card. I am a former Pre-Minus owner/devotee and snagged a firesale 32Gb Touchpad (preware loaded and overclocked).

I need an unlocked GSM phone that will only be used occasionaly, at best, for trips overseas. For longevity sake and reliability, I am thinking a Pre2 would serve me best. Can anyone give a good reason to pay more for the Pre3? I wont use the front facing camera so the Pre2 seems like a better fit.
    TouchPad compatibility: Touch-To-Share, Phone and SMS sharing. There is also the bigger screen (gorgeous!), keyboard, and faux-G support.

Could also go with a Veer if you don't mind the smaller device and less screen real estate. They're pretty cheap, and since you would be predominantly using it while travelling abroad, doesn't matter that it doesn't have CDMA (if you're a Verizon/Sprint customer).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    TouchPad compatibility: Touch-To-Share, Phone and SMS sharing. There is also the bigger screen (gorgeous!), keyboard, and faux-G support.

Could also go with a Veer if you don't mind the smaller device and less screen real estate. They're pretty cheap, and since you would be predominantly using it while travelling abroad, doesn't matter that it doesn't have CDMA (if you're a Verizon/Sprint customer).
    Pre2 is the smallest screen size I want to go. Veer is a neat idea as a replacement to the Pixi, but it is just a novelty to me. I think HP screwed this whole deal up when they didn't launch the Pre3 FIRST. Starting with the Veer was the first of many screw ups.

I think I can get a Pre2 for under $100 but a Pre3 would cost over $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Pre2 is the smallest screen size I want to go. Veer is a neat idea as a replacement to the Pixi, but it is just a novelty to me. I think HP screwed this whole deal up when they didn't launch the Pre3 FIRST. Starting with the Veer was the first of many screw ups.

I think I can get a Pre2 for under $100 but a Pre3 would cost over $200.
    Get the Pre3, for $200-something it's a steal. Not just bigger screen, but much higher resolution 480x800 vs. Pre2 320x480. Like everythingsablur said, the Pre3 also gives you Touch To Share with your Touchpad. Both the Pre3 and Pre2 have unlocked Europe models which you may prefer over the USA ones if you are traveling overseas. It's probably easier now to find the Pre3 UK unlocked model than the Pre2 Europe model if you are in the USA.
    North America unlocked Pre 2 cannot use 3G data service in EU, because NA PRE 2 is not compatible UMTS(WCDMA) 2100 network. If you go to UK, I suggest you buy a EU unlocked PRE 2.
    BTW, ATT PRE 3 is compatible both UMTS 2100 and 1900 network, so you can bring it to
    EU.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Well, my inner techno-geek could not stand to settle for anything less than the latest ... even if it is a dead platform.

The next Pre2 coming up on auction was a day away and there were a few Pre3's ending in 2 hours so I put in a bid. I ended up getting it at 189.50.

Any quick pointers as to things I should look for?
    Are there any Preware tricks worth loading?
    Are any of you able to get it working in the US? I am a current Sprint customer, but if this thing is as awesome as I hoped, it might be worth suffering through the AT&T network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Well, my inner techno-geek could not stand to settle for anything less than the latest ... even if it is a dead platform.

The next Pre2 coming up on auction was a day away and there were a few Pre3's ending in 2 hours so I put in a bid. I ended up getting it at 189.50.

Any quick pointers as to things I should look for?
    Are there any Preware tricks worth loading?
    Are any of you able to get it working in the US? I am a current Sprint customer, but if this thing is as awesome as I hoped, it might be worth suffering through the AT&T network.
    Wow $189 for an unlocked GSM Pre3 is a steal.

It should be able to work no problem on either USA AT&T or T-Mobile networks, either prepaid or postpaid accounts. Just stick an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card in and use it.