1.    #1  
    please forgive me if this has already been posted. I tried looking around for it.

I recently purchased a pre 3 for at&t off ebay. i activated it fine yesterday. The H+ appears in the top but when i do a speed test it maybe gets around 400k, at home i was able to get 1.2mb i live in houston which is supposed to be an active 4G city.

i did the update last night to 2.2.3

Is there anything i need to do to get the 4g faster? is something in the phone slowing down the connection? please help!

i'm a huge fan of the webos had the sprint pre on launch day and i'm excited to use this phone but if the data speed won't go higher i'll have to look at other phones.

Any thoughts?
    Maybe check with AT&T and have the fiddle with your account. They might need to add HSPA to your account, or correctly take your MEID/IMEI to put in their system.

I'm not from the Houston area, but on my AT&T Pre3 up here in Toronto, I can routinely get 6-7 Mbps down.

It's certainly not the hardware.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    The phone is capable of higher speed. My veer gets 6Mb. You might have to have ATT provision your account or something. I'm not on Att though.
  4.    #4  
    ok i'm going to call AT&T in a bit and see what might be wrong. Thanks guys for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by pikey79 View Post
    please forgive me if this has already been posted. I tried looking around for it.

I recently purchased a pre 3 for at&t off ebay. i activated it fine yesterday. The H+ appears in the top but when i do a speed test it maybe gets around 400k, at home i was able to get 1.2mb i live in houston which is supposed to be an active 4G city.

i did the update last night to 2.2.3

Is there anything i need to do to get the 4g faster? is something in the phone slowing down the connection? please help!

i'm a huge fan of the webos had the sprint pre on launch day and i'm excited to use this phone but if the data speed won't go higher i'll have to look at other phones.

Any thoughts?
    It depends a lot on where you are. I just ran speedtest.net on both my pre3 and my infuse (both on AT&T but different accounts) and they both got right around 3.5mb/s down and 1mb/s up. But I have had as much as 14mb/s down in some areas.

Try your test outside of any structures and see if you get a better time. The back of my house typically is worse than the front... more walls between me and the cell tower.

Oh, and like mentioned above... make sure your account is provisioned for 4g... I had to have AT&T reset my Infuse account to get it to work...
    Right now I am getting around 4 mb/s down and 1.3 mb/s up with my H+ on at&t. A lot has to do with how congested the broadband is at the moment you are testing. At times when the internet traffic is light I have gotten 7 mb/s down and 3.5 mb/s up where I live. All I know is that it is way faster than Sprints broadband 100% of the time. That was one of the reasons I left Sprint, too many users with unlimited usage bogging down the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Maybe check with AT&T and have the fiddle with your account. They might need to add HSPA to your account, or correctly take your MEID/IMEI to put in their system.

I'm not from the Houston area, but on my AT&T Pre3 up here in Toronto, I can routinely get 6-7 Mbps down.

Click to view quoted image

It's certainly not the hardware.
    Which area in Toronto are you in? I've NEVER got anything over 5. On Bell here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Which area in Toronto are you in? I've NEVER got anything over 5. On Bell here.
    I live right downtown, just a few blocks out of the financial district, so this is a heavily congested area to begin with. Go figure.

I've found it's been consistently pulling in over 7 down/1+ up, but occasionally I'll find myself somewhere that I'm more speed capped. I was up around Yonge & Eglinton last night and think I peaked around 4.8 down. Richmond Hill visiting my parents netted me about 3.5 down.

Are Bell and TELUS still sharing towers (TELUS roams on Bell in the east, Bell roams on TELUS in the west)?

I just ran a test right this minute. Really thought it would finish over 8...

[ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    ok i'm going to call AT&T in a bit and see what might be wrong. Thanks guys for the info!
    I am no engineer here but if you are getting the h+ icon then I would say you are correctly provisioned. Check papers elsewhere, I bet it is just a point connection or busy time.
    Do you get the H+ icon, everythingsablur?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    Do you get the H+ icon, everythingsablur?
    After installing the patch, I get U or H. Mostly H. Don't know if there's a different icon for H+...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I get some pretty decent speeds in the metro Boston area. This was during rush hour and consider that AT&T's point of presence is in NJ, which must be a couple of hops away from here...

Shut up. Lol my verizon pre3 gets up to 1-2mb max on the 3g.. IF this phone was 4g.. Why it isn't I don't know.... It would be the perfect device. Way to go hp. You made a perfect device but didn't let everyone see that.. Except the people on precentral. My uncle LOVES his vzw pre + so when I showed him my pre3 he went right on ebay to buy one... Sigh..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
  14.    #14  
    hey guys thanks for all the tips. i called AT&T yesterday and the IMEI number was correct as well as my data. She said it was already set to use 4G. So she reset somethings on her end. I got about 1.2mb at my house before i called. Last night i got up to 3.2mb so it was definitely an improvement. The parking garage this morning i got 1mb when before i was in the 200-400kb range. so i guess i should expect between 1-3mb on average. Alot slower than my Sprint 4G i was getting 4-5mb all the time. I'll live with it for now cause i like the phone. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.
    hey guys thanks for all the tips. i called AT&T yesterday and the IMEI number was correct as well as my data. She said it was already set to use 4G. So she reset somethings on her end. I got about 1.2mb at my house before i called. Last night i got up to 3.2mb so it was definitely an improvement. The parking garage this morning i got 1mb when before i was in the 200-400kb range. so i guess i should expect between 1-3mb on average. Alot slower than my Sprint 4G i was getting 4-5mb all the time. I'll live with it for now cause i like the phone. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.
    It very much just could be your area. Complain to AT&T and see if they will beef up your neighbourhood. Won't be overnight, but you never know. One of the small Canadian carriers is well known for patching holes noted by customers. Too bad they run on AWS (ala T-Mobile) and thus can't really make use of a Pre 3.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage: