Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Got my Pre3 today. E-bay purchase. ( That was a new experience for me ) Amazed myself and somehow got the APN edited and was able to connect and set up a profile. I had been dreading this after reading about others having problems. Well, I am assuming that I was successful as I did get a confirmation email and seem to be able to access the App. catalog. Someone please tell me my assumption is correct.

    Is there a way I can monitor my data usage? A log for calls, text, data etc? Quick start supplied with the phone does not help much. I am sure that I will have a gazillion questions. After waiting for almost a year I hope I made the right choice.
    I have learned an awful lot from this forum. ( not hard really to go from Zero to something ) Though most of the discussions I read were Waaaay over my head. Perhaps I can offer something back. I have seen a couple of people ask about "Straight Talk". There is an awful lot of information on the Howard Forums in regards to using the Iphone and Android devices on Straight Talk. I could not find anything about Palm devices on Straight Talk. Soo, I offer this information from my personal experience. I edited the APN settings using the settings I found for the iphone. I figured the settings are particular to the carrier not the phone. Everything seems to work OK. I have been able to access the Web. and make phone calls and text messages. I have not done any Multimedia messaging simply because I do not know how. Still trying to figure the phone out. The plan cost for unlimited Talk, Text, Web and 411 is $45.00 month. No contract. NOW, it is well documented that Straight Talk's terms of service say no tethering or major types of steaming video etc, etc. I do not even know what some of the streaming stuff is called so I figure I will never use it. I am not a U tube or game playing person. Point here is that if you exceed 2Gigs a month on a regular basis Straight Talk may ( And have ) shut you down. So before someone points it out to me I understand that 2Gigs. an unlimited are obviously not the same. However if you are like me and can live with 2 Gigs or less this plan may be of interest to you.
    Oh, one other thing. In the upper right corner of my screen where the Batt. indicator is I get a symbol. ( 4G ). Now I have not a clue if his means I am actually getting whatever "4G" is. Just saying that it is there.
    Thank you everyone for everything I have learned here over the past year. BUT, you are also responsible for the PreCentral addiction that has taken at least three hours a day of productivity from my daily life!! LOL

    EDIT: That symbol near the Batt. indicator is H+ not 4G. Sorry for any confusion. Did I mention this is my first smart phone?
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 10/20/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  2. #2  
    Can't agree more on the addiction part, ever since I got my Pre 3. My nights and weekends are gone. Don't know how I am going to claim them back. Good post though, to share in with your experience and results.
  3. #3  
    the program that monitors data usage I've seen is called "netstat" and is available through the preware program or Webos Quick Install.

    Welcome to the connected world. Pretty soon you will be wondering how you lived without being able to look up just about any useless piece of information anywhere anytime....

    then you will be looking for more data on your plan
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies.
    I was hoping that there would be some type of "Log" built into the phone similar to the Nokia E-71 I took the SIM card from to use in the Pre3. It also allows you to manage all text and voice calls. i.e. delete call history etc. I am having trouble figuring out how to delete call history. Any pointers?
    More information on ST. Some of the Apps. for AT&T that came on the phone seem to work. 411 service and some type of voice search where you verbally state the area you want Info. in and the type of Info you want and it searches for the information and give a voice reply. AT&T data counter has not worked for me though. I think the AT&T GPS that is installed would work if I subscribed to it. The GPS and navigation App. in the Nokia was absolutely fabulous. Turn by turn voice instructions, way points, walking directions , on and on. I liked it way better than my Garmin. So, any suggestions on which Navigation App. to get from the App. store?
    Also, can I turn off Data and use WiFi only?
    Can I turn off data and still receive and make voice calls?
    Does it default to WiFi when a WiFi signal is available. That old Nokia always prompted me for how I wanted to make the connection. I had a choice. I still kind of like being in control and able to choose manually.
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 10/20/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I was hoping that there would be some type of "Log" built into the phone similar to the Nokia E-100 I took the SIM card from to use in the Pre3. It also allows you to manage all text and voice calls. i.e. delete call history etc. I am having trouble figuring out how to delete call history. Any pointers?
    More information on ST. Some of the Apps. for AT&T that came on the phone seem to work. 411 service and some type of voice search where you verbally state the area you want Info. in and the type of Info you want and it searches for the information and give a voice reply. AT&T data counter has not worked for me though. I think the AT&T GPS that is installed would work if I subscribed to it. The GPS and navigation App. in the Nokia was absolutely fabulous. Turn by turn voice instructions, way points, walking directions , on and on. I liked it way better than my Garmin. So, any suggestions on which Navigation App. to get from the App. store?
    Also, can I turn off Data and use WiFi only?
    Can I turn off data and still receive and make voice calls?
    Does it default to WiFi when a WiFi signal is available. That old Nokia always prompted me for how I wanted to make the connection. I had a choice. I still kind of like being in control and able to choose manually.
    if you have data turned on it will take precedence over 3G/4G data. There is a way to turn off 3G/4G Data but you really don't need to do it.

    Go into the Phone Dialer APP. Upper left corner under "phone / preferences & Accounts" There is a Data Usage Toggle On/Off. But like I said you really don't need to turn this off.

    The Phone will use WI/FI first if it can.
  6. #6  
    for the phone log: goto the phone app, choose the icon below the dial pad that looks like 3 arrows and 3 lines (the call list tab) When you can see the list of calls tap the upper left corner of the screen to bring down the menu and choose the delete call history option.

    Regarding data: it doesn't matter which frequency you are connected to 2g/3g/4g it only matters if your phone is using data. That can be stopped by turning data off as described above. If you have limited data this is how to control the usage. I do this when traveling and using a pre-paid sim chip with limited data plan.

    Good luck with the turn by turn directions thing, I prefer my Garmin funnily enough. I don't think there is any program for the pre 3 that does it other than the built in map program.
  7. #7  
    Big big thumbs up for Netstat !
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
    if you have data turned on it will take precedence over 3G/4G data. There is a way to turn off 3G/4G Data but you really don't need to do it.

    Go into the Phone Dialer APP. Upper left corner under "phone / preferences & Accounts" There is a Data Usage Toggle On/Off. But like I said you really don't need to turn this off.

    The Phone will use WI/FI first if it can.
    When you say "it" will take precedence you are referring to WiFi correct? Thus not need to shut Data off. Correct?

    Found the Dta usage toggle. Thank s to everyone. Phone still seems to receive WFi. Thats a good thing.
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 10/20/2011 at 02:26 PM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashan.kt View Post
    Big big thumbs up for Netstat !
    Is this in the App. catalog?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Is this in the App. catalog?
    It's in preware
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    It's in preware
    OK, guess I have to figure out what to do with and how to get "PreWare"
    Thanks
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    OK, guess I have to figure out what to do with and how to get "PreWare"
    Thanks
    Download the Preware Homebrew Documentation app from the official HP webOS App Catalog.

    Preware
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4 View Post
    Download the Preware Homebrew Documentation app from the official HP webOS App Catalog.

    Preware
    Thanks, off and looking
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau

Posting Permissions