Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FenrirWolf
  • 1 Post By WebOSMember
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I am rocking a Pre+ tricked out with Preware, overclocking, and several patches. There is a nice thread that I followed when I got my Pre+ which allowed me to install said improvements.

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a Touchpad and I am planning on getting a Pre3. I have not found a good thread that gives me step-be-step instructions on transitioning to the Pre3 from the Pre+ (maybe it is not that difficult). I assume that my profile with transfer most of the applications, contacts, etc., but I am not sure. After tranferring my profile, do I just go back to the earlier Pre thread to get all of the cool things back on the phone?
    Yeah, your profile will transfer everything except preware and patches, which you install manually like before.
    Only thing that does not transfer is your photos/music/custom ringtones so what people are doing in here is coping the USB drive from their Pre/Pre+ onto their computers so they can copy back their files they had on their old phone onto their new Pre 3s. For instance, after I activated my Pre 3 I just cut pasted my entire "download file" from my old Pre onto my Pre 3, same with the ringtone folder. I also put my Sprint Pre into "airplane mode" so it would not get wiped when I booted it up just in case I needed anything else from it.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Only thing that does not transfer is your photos/music/custom ringtones so what people are doing in here is coping the USB drive from their Pre/Pre+ onto their computers so they can copy back their files they had on their old phone onto their new Pre 3s. For instance, after I activated my Pre 3 I just cut pasted my entire "download file" from my old Pre onto my Pre 3, same with the ringtone folder. I also put my Sprint Pre into "airplane mode" so it would not get wiped when I booted it up just in case I needed anything else from it.
    Thanks. Thats the kind of stuff I would screw up without knowing any better.
    you also might want to use Save/Restore from preware to back up savegames and some other info to the USB partition. Once you copy that info to the new phone, use Save/Restore again to install it to the right places.
    jscm3 likes this.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    You might be a tad shocked by the number of patches available for the Pre3. There are many less options than on the original Pre up to the Pre2.

Initially, it's a downer. In the long run, it is more than adequate and it's getting better day by day. Just don't surprised if there are a few little patches that you can't find when you start rocking the Pre3. Just be patient. There's enough coolness on the Pre3 to keep you going, and it is great to know how dedicated the current group of devs are and the comfort of knowing that you are being supported for many years to come.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    When migrating from my Sprint Pre- with webOS v1.4.5 to my Pre 3, I also used rcmarvin's wonderful SMS migration utility to transfer 2+ years worth of SMS text messages to my new phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...webos-2-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    did you go air mode on pre+ then remove sim and put into pre3? Did you swipe your old pre+?
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    Heres what I did.

Go ahead and instal save /restore and do a save. Transfer the file to your PC so you have all your apps and game progress backed up.

Go back to the phone and remove all themes . Like the glass theme. Remove the overclocking patches and may as well remove all patches and anything connected. Run a Palm Backup of the profile.

Now put your phone into airplane mode and pull the sim.

Put sim in pre 3 and cross fingers. For me everything transfered and was painless.

Now that the pre 3 is up and running you can still look at your old phone and make notes and compare. Keep old phone in airplane only as long as you have to, hurry and make final checks so you can take out of airplane mode and phone can wipe, you dont want two profiles registed for long.

Look for and install all updates for preware and the phone, gonvna and uberkernal and thats it for now. Tomorrow , look for more updates. when your happy take old phone out of airplane mode and call to inform att you want 4g.
    Last edited by Motorhead777#WN; 11/07/2011 at 08:02 AM.
    cheryldctx likes this.
    Same here from pre+ to pre 3.
    Biggest issue is Universe browser not working on Pre 3, so cant download files from sites, that is not supported by pre.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I'm going to move from a Verizon pre+ to a Verizon pre3. I want to make sure that my experience is a painless as possible. I've never installed preware before but I will if that will help. I don't have game scores that I need but I'd like the todo list items in various programs to come over. My pre+ has mostly been a productivity tool. I'm fine with backing up photos and ringtones via USB to the computer ahead of time. I want to make sure when I activate the pre3 that my pre+ does not start wiping itself before I'm done reconciling what came over, etc. So I guess I put it in airplane mode just before I start the pre3 activation? I've had the pre3 a week now but have hesitated to take the big plunge without doing more reading. Thank you for any advice and if there's a comprehensive thread on this please link me to it.
    yes keep in airplane mode like I wrote.

There is no more comprehensive thread than this one. I run a business with my phone, very succesful business that is very comprehensive!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    read this if you want your apps and stuff to stay on the old phone even when reconnecting to WiFi - I just did it moving from Pre 2 to Pre 3 and have had no problems

StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals
    I had a real smooth transition from my vzw pre+ to my vzw pre3 .. Actually it was smoother than I thought. Only problem I had was I had to doctor it to 2.2.3 before the phone would activate.. But after that. It was smooth as puddin. Good stuff .. Everything transfered from my + to the 3.... Even apps and whatnot.. A couple games didn't work on the pre3 but that's expected.

Just get the doctor (and it sounds like you know how to do that) and you won't have any problems. Hope not anyway.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.