1.    #1  
    Checked other threads on this topic, but none with the same conditions.

I have a Sprint Pre. When I got my TouchPad, I signed in on my Pre Palm profile. Almost every app I had on the Pre also appeared on the TouchPad.

I recently got an AT&T Pre3, and initially set it up on a separate new profile, mainly so I could test how it would work with my Sprint Google Voice number forwarding to it. I plan to cut the cord with Sprint (wish I did not have to), and am wondering what exact steps I should do to get my Pre3 on my old Pre/Touchpad profile (so I get most/all of my apps).

I know only one phone can be on the profile, so I will use the steps outlined in other posts about how to back up everything. What I would like to do is port my Sprint Google Voice number over to the Pre3. I currently have a new number on the Pre3, with an unlimited data plan (using techniques outlined in other posts), and do not want to mess up my unlimited data plan.

I am guessing the following steps SHOULD work, but am not certain.
    1. Back up everything (I have nothing to save on the Pre3 except the data plan)
    2. Port the Sprint number over to replace my existing AT&T new number on the Pre3
    3. Shut off the Sprint Pre
    4. Reset the Pre3 (not sure which reset, though), so it will ask me to log into existing Pre/Touchpad profile
    5. Hopefully end up with a Pre3 using my old Sprint/Google Voice number, with my same AT&T Voice/Data plan intact.
    6. Cancel my number on Sprint.

If anyone has done this or similar, or knows if any of these steps might hose up something, let me know! Thanks!!!

Matt
    I am trying to do exactly what you are doing... Let me know what works.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 500vdc View Post

I have a Sprint Pre. When I got my TouchPad, I signed in on my Pre Palm profile. Almost every app I had on the Pre also appeared on the TouchPad.

I recently got an AT&T Pre3, and initially set it up on a separate new profile, mainly so I could test how it would work with my Sprint Google Voice number forwarding to it. I plan to cut the cord with Sprint (wish I did not have to), and am wondering what exact steps I should do to get my Pre3 on my old Pre/Touchpad profile (so I get most/all of my apps).

I know only one phone can be on the profile, so I will use the steps outlined in other posts about how to back up everything. What I would like to do is port my Sprint Google Voice number over to the Pre3. I currently have a new number on the Pre3, with an unlimited data plan (using techniques outlined in other posts), and do not want to mess up my unlimited data plan.

2. Port the Sprint number over to replace my existing AT&T new number on the Pre3
    4. Reset the Pre3 (not sure which reset, though), so it will ask me to log into existing Pre/Touchpad profile
    5. Hopefully end up with a Pre3 using my old Sprint/Google Voice number, with my same AT&T Voice/Data plan intact.

If anyone has done this or similar, or knows if any of these steps might hose up something, let me know! Thanks!!!

Matt
    Search around for using Impostah on your Sprint pre to keep all your apps on it. Otherwise, when you log into your profile from your Pre3, everything is removed from your Pre-.

Phone number is independent of the HP profile.

Dale
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, Dale46, but I really do not need the apps to stay on the old Sprint Pre, as I will be cancelling that phone on Sprint, and leaving it off.

Mainly wondering if porting a Sprint/GV phone number over to replace an existing number on my AT&T account could mess up my unlimited data status. Also curious if the number port would be unusual, as Sprint allows you to change your number to a Google Voice number, and use the google voice mail, but they are the only major carrier to allow this. Not sure what functionality will change if that number becomes an AT&T/GoogleVoice number.

I am pretty confident the apps will show up on the Pre3, but I am not sure exactly what type of reset on the Pre3 is necessary to get it to ask for the palm profile.

Matt
    Last edited by 500vdc; 10/19/2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Impostah doesn't work on WebOS 1.4.5 (Sprint Pre) anyway....
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do also, minus the Google-Voice, which I'm still considering. My AT&T Pre3 has no profile nor SIM and is patiently waiting for my attention. I would like to get:

1. Unlimited data plan (tips?)
    2. Get an iPhone 4S for $200 (as a backup or to sell)
    3. Switch over to a discounted corp bizn acct under my wife's name (her co has discount).
    4. Port my Sprint # over to ATT.

Does anyone know if I can do both 1 and 2 above? Or does 1 exclude 2?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    - Greg

My Palm Pre Evo Tree
    Pilot 5000 -> 1MB Upg -> Zire -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 4-yr abstinance -> Palm Pre!

Matt
    When you say Sprint Google Voice number, is that the GV number ported to your sprint account, meaning the GV number replaced your original sprint number, having now GV benefits ?
    What I would like to do is port my Sprint Google Voice number over to the Pre3...
    Did you have a pre existing GV number that you marged with sprint to replace your sprint number? if so:

This is not going to work. Your sprint number and your google voice number are completely different things. When you merged your sprint and google voice numbers you didn't change you original sprint number. It still exists, and it's what sprint would call your phone number... the google voice thing is like a mask. It's still just a google voice number. Unfortunately At&t doesn't offer the GV capabilities of Sprint.
    The moment you tell sprint or At&t that you wanna port you number, they will look up the number you give them, for a few moments and then tell you that that is not a Sprint number; it's a landline and they will ask you again what's your REAL sprint number.
  9.    #9  
    My Google Voice number on my Sprint Pre was just converted to that recently. I did the method of taking my Sprint number and converting it to a Google Voice number.

In other words, my real Sprint phone number is now a Sprint/Google Voice number.

I mainly did that to get some of the GV advantages, and keep the number everyone knows for me.

I am just not certain exactly what happens if I try to port that number now to my AT&T Pre3 (which I initially set up with a new AT&T number).

Since Sprint is the only big carrier that allows this GV integration, I wonder what I would lose if I port this number to replace my AT&T number on the Pre3. Perhaps the voice mail integration would disappear?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghwin View Post
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do also, minus the Google-Voice, which I'm still considering. My AT&T Pre3 has no profile nor SIM and is patiently waiting for my attention. I would like to get:

1. Unlimited data plan (tips?)
    2. Get an iPhone 4S for $200 (as a backup or to sell)
    3. Switch over to a discounted corp bizn acct under my wife's name (her co has discount).
    4. Port my Sprint # over to ATT.

Does anyone know if I can do both 1 and 2 above? Or does 1 exclude 2?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hey, GHWIN
    Not sure about all the four thing you want to do, but I used the guy on ebay to make step 1 easier (he was great...worked perfect, and I did not need an old iPhone). I also did not want a contract with AT&T since I own the Pre3. Not sure if you can get unlimited data on a new iPhone, but I see how your scheme would help pay for the Pre3!

Step 3 - don't know. I did get my company discount on the new AT&T account. You might have to start this whole procedure with your wife's account...unless her company manages the phones.

Step 4 - Yeah...wondering about that too...maybe just have to call AT&T to ask. Pretty sure they will not know about the GV integration stuff, though!
    As far as porting a Sprint number, as a GV integration user I decided to make it official and finally free my number from all carriers. To do this, I turned off the Sprint integration and ported my Sprint number into GV. It took 24 hours, but worked perfectly, and I can now use my Prepaid AT&T Pre 3 with my mobile number (using Skype primarily at the moment). Only thing: I wish there were a way to dial using my GV number without having to use GVoice or Voogle all the time.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I had the same situation as you to a Tee, had sprint/GV fowarding to my pre 3 on a go phone ..
    1. back up your contacts to google.com/contacts
    2. back up your palm profile.
    3. call att or who ever you are switching to and have them port your sprint #
    3. I did a full wipe on my pre3 since i had been using it with a seperate profile, which cause some crazy hp logo loop, hence step 4.
    4. I had to re-doctor
    5. now just log in with your OG profile and your set.
    ok, my Frankenpre2 died for a few hours two days ago (recovered when I left the battery out for a few hours), and I have a Pre3 on the way. Time to bite the bullet.

When I click on the option to port my Sprint number to Google, it says I may pay a termination fee (I won't, saved my upgrades for the never-arriving replacement to the Pre-). So if you port the number, you are definitely already leaving Sprint?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Don't port your # to GV unless you want to leave sprint.... There is an option to use your sprint # as your GV # ... That's the option you want it will be under your phones section... Also you need to have an active sprint # if you want to port it to Att... But I suppose you could port your number from GV also, but I didn't go that route.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums