Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Last night I was out having a delicious dinner with my girlfriend. On our way back to our hotel she wanted to look something up and when she tried to slid open the keyboard the phone fell out of her hand onto the asphalt.

At the time I saw that the glass was broken, but I thought it might still be usable. This morning, however, I realized that it's now more or less a brick, since I get glass splinters every time I touch the screen.

Anyway, my question now is; what are my options? I'm not willing to pay for a brand new phone since I'm a student on a limited budget. Also, setting up a new phone is rather annoying. Is it possible to get a used one and switch out the gorilla glass myself? As long as it doesn't require any advanced tools I think I would be able to do that myself.

I am very thankful for any ideas and suggestions since I can't imagine myself using anything but webOS. I tried Android, iOS and windows but webOS is where I belong...
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/19/2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: language
    Good luck finding a used pre 3 that is worth switching glass, and not just using the used one. The are not the most common phones. On a side note wow typing on webos 3.0.4 is much better now.
    Wouldn't HP replace the glass, or replace the phone, even if for a fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by LevSer View Post
    Last night I was out having a delicious dinner with my girlfriend. On our way back to our hotel she wanted to look something up and when she tried to slid open the keyboard the phone fell out of her hand onto the asphalt.

At the time I saw that the glass was f*cked, but I thought it might still be usable. This morning, however, I realized that it's now more or less a brick, since I get glass splinters every time I touch the screen.

Anyway, my question now is; what are my options? I'm not willing to pay for a brand new phone since I'm a student on a limited budget. Also, setting up a new phone is rather annoying. Is it possible to get a used one and switch out the gorilla glass myself? As long as it doesn't require any advanced tools I think I would be able to do that myself.

I am very thankful for any ideas and suggestions since I can't imagine myself using anything but webOS. I tried Android, iOS and windows but webOS is where I belong...
    Ouch. Well, Gorilla Glass is meant to be scratch resistant, not shatter proof. Have badly smashed is it? Could you carefully lay a screen protector over top of it an still have it be usable?

Don't think you'll find much in the way of spare Pre3 units for parts. Barely any made it to market as it is. The upshot is the price for new ones isn't too bad, though your limited budget might still keep you from one. You could always get a Veer; they've gotten pretty affordable on eBay.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Ouch. Well, Gorilla Glass is meant to be scratch resistant, not shatter proof. Have badly smashed is it? Could you carefully lay a screen protector over top of it an still have it be usable?

Don't think you'll find much in the way of spare Pre3 units for parts. Barely any made it to market as it is. The upshot is the price for new ones isn't too bad, though your limited budget might still keep you from one. You could always get a Veer; they've gotten pretty affordable on eBay.
    I now see that there's Unlocked US Pre3s going for ~$250 which is less than half of what I payed a month ago. Thats not too bad I guess... Will the US version work alright in Europe?
    I now see that there's Unlocked US Pre3s going for ~$250 which is less than half of what I payed a month ago. Thats not too bad I guess... Will the US version work alright in Europe?
    If you're in Europe you might ask yourself if you can live with the keyboard being the AZERTY variant, as that would allow you to buy one from the Palm Eurostore. They're still in stock and selling for 169.99 or 199 depending on which version of the eurostore, all are shipped from Dublin, Ireland. Shipping costs to Denmark was 14.45

The AZERTY Pre3 in the UK store can be found at HP Pre 3 Sim Free AZERTY 8GB - Palm Accessories
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJC View Post
    If you're in Europe you might ask yourself if you can live with the keyboard being the AZERTY variant, as that would allow you to buy one from the Palm Eurostore. They're still in stock and selling for 169.99 or 199 depending on which version of the eurostore, all are shipped from Dublin, Ireland. Shipping costs to Denmark was 14.45

The AZERTY Pre3 in the UK store can be found at HP Pre 3 Sim Free AZERTY 8GB - Palm Accessories
    Or you could just buy it, then swap the keyboard/screen with the other. WIN!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    There is a demand for Pre3 batteries. You might could sell the whole thing on eBay as is for $100. I know some people wouldn't mind having a battery, spare back, and charger. Then you'd only need another $100 to get a new phone.
    The girlfriend needs to go

haha

On a serious note, how about trying to get into contact with Rod from webOS-Internals and seeing if he has any need for Pre3's for parts.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I believe the AT&T Pre3 has more frequencies than EU versions. Not sure if it omits any though. I m far from an expert on EU cell frequencies so that is all I have for you. I know there is at least one frequency AT&T uses that is not on EU versions.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

At the time I saw that the glass was broken, but I thought it might still be usable.
    What did your WIFE say when she saw the phone?
    I believe the AT&T Pre3 has more frequencies than EU versions. Not sure if it omits any though. I m far from an expert on EU cell frequencies so that is all I have for you. I know there is at least one frequency AT&T uses that is not on EU versions.
    I think the AT&T version swaps the European UMTS 900 MHz band for the North American 850 MHz band. If you/your carrier relies on 900 MHz, you should probably get the unlocked EU version.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    The girlfriend needs to go

haha

On a serious note, how about trying to get into contact with Rod from webOS-Internals and seeing if he has any need for Pre3's for parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What did your WIFE say when she saw the phone?
    We're not married... Anyway, she was really upset, more than me actually, guess I had 1 or 2 more glasses of wine than she did. She wanted to help me fix it, so I explained the situation of the Pre3, and now she wants to pay for a brand new one. Sounds like a keeper, no?

Anyway, thx for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it! I will probably get the Azerty Pre3 if that's the cheapest one. Then I'll try to replace that keyboard with my current Qwerty.

I have one last question:
    What would be the easiest way of copying all the data&settings from the old phone to the new one? I don't use the webOS backup feature because my phone was activated in S.Korea and I cant do full reset at the end of the Impostah process because I have no data plan during my stay here.
    If the phone is still usable,how about putting a clear plastic cover over the face? You won't get splinters that way.
    sell your broken one for parts and buy a new one. Whats so hard about that?
    Buy another Pre 3 and save the original one for parts. Who knows, when the supply of Pre 3s dry up, your broken Pre 3 might become a lot more valuable down the road.
    pre4 likes this.
    I have a brand new QWERTZ 8GB Unlocked Pre3 that I can sell you for a good deal
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 10/19/2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Definitely buy another Pre3. The price is really low now, a bargain at around $250-300, which is half what it was a few weeks ago. If you're in Europe, get the factory-unlocked UK model not the AT&T locked model which does not have all the frequency bands for Europe and may not be unlocked so you can't use it on non-AT&T networks or may come with an unlock code which may or may not work.
    OP, that was a joke about whether your wife knew about the girlfriend... Dry humor.
    LevSer and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    The screen protector idea is actually a good one to at least get you by. I work at a store that sells screen protectors and one time this guy walked in with the most smashed up screen I have ever seen. Went and bought a cheap universal screen protector, threw it on and it proceeded to work *flawlessly*.

- Phil -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast