Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello people

I'm new to WebOS (just dumpped my Android). First I got one TouchPad (which works great) and today I got my Pre3. The problem is that now I can't use the phone. Everytime I turn it on it goes to a screen "Can't restore data" and I can't move from there.
    Do you guys (who have more experience with WebOS) can give me any tip?

Thank you
    Julio C Oliveira
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanderlaars View Post
    Hello people

I'm new to WebOS (just dumpped my Android). First I got one TouchPad (which works great) and today I got my Pre3. The problem is that now I can't use the phone. Everytime I turn it on it goes to a screen "Can't restore data" and I can't move from there.
    Do you guys (who have more experience with WebOS) can give me any tip?

Thank you
    Julio C Oliveira
    I've been talking to one guy at the Palm Support chat but he didn't seem to understand my problem. I don't want to restore anything from teh TouchPad. All I want is to use the phone but I'm stuck in that data restore screen. The weird thing is that I could set up the APN to my carrier in Sweden, my profile was updated at the Palm website but I'm stuck in that screen.
    you need the save/restore app in preware to back up application data.

if you don't want to restore the apps, you can do a full erase and the "skip" restoring from the profile.

not sure which question you are asking.
    I've been talking to one guy at the Palm Support chat but he didn't seem to understand my problem. I don't want to restore anything from teh TouchPad. All I want is to use the phone but I'm stuck in that data restore screen. The weird thing is that I could set up the APN to my carrier in Sweden, my profile was updated at the Palm website but I'm stuck in that screen.
    This is exactly the same spot that I am stuck, and no one seems to be able to give me the true fix. I had read in a couple of places that the issue is with accounts that were initially created on a webOS 3 device (TouchPad) trying to move them back to a webOS 2 device. Most people here seem to have had their profiles from other webOS devices and do not hit this problem.

You can use Developer Mode to skip this entirely, but your HP webOS account on device will the Dr. Skipped Firstuse. You can use Impostah to somewhat switch things to your correct Palm profile.

You can also create an all new webOS profile, but I suppose that losses whatever synchronicity existed between having a TouchPad and Pre3 on the same account. That's been the only non-Developer mode way I've been able to get through the initial setup.

I'm somewhat resigned to doing that, but then the last hurdle is no matter what I do (new account or Impostah), I do not have paid app catalog access on my Pre3. Everything I see is free, and many apps I know are free aren't even listed. Extremely frustrating.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  5.    #5  
    I erased the data like the support guy told me to and now after restarting the phone I'm stuck in the HP logo.
    I guess this is gonna be the shortest period I had a phone. Ive had it for a few hours. Maybe 2.
    I erased the data like the support guy told me to and now after restarting the phone I'm stuck in the HP logo.
    I guess this is gonna be the shortest period I had a phone. Ive had it for a few hours. Maybe 2.
    I know how you feel. I got this Pre3 yesterday, and had a very depressing 12 hours getting no where with it. Things I've tried:

- Use existing webOS profile = perpetual "Data Not Restored" in First Use app, can not get passed
    - New webOS profile = practically empty appcatalog
    - New webOS profile -> Impostah to existing profile = practically empty appcatalog
    - Dev mode -> Impostah to existing profile = practically empty ap pcatalog, Dr. Skipped Firstuse
    - Disable backup on TouchPad -> delete TouchPad from Profile (website) -> login to Pre3 using existing profile = perpetual "Data Not Restored" in First Use app, can not get passed (and TouchPad needs to be fully restored after that)
    - numerous doctors = no different
    - numerous new webOS profiles = no different, still borked app catalog (or is it really that empty? None of the apps on the "official pre3 app list" are in my app catalog...)

I'm actually now considering trying the Meta-Doctor route, but i really don't know if that will do anything different. No much insight from the community, shockingly.

I'll probably slam my head against this wall for another day before tossing this back up for sale. A real shame; the hardware feels really nice, and when I have gotten into the OS, it's a lot smoother than my TouchPad! Boo-urns.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  7.    #7  
    Now I have a total different problem (after doing what the support guy told me). The phone won't start. All I get is a HP logo for like 30 minutes.
    And I was so happy to give away my Android HTC... Anyone knows how I can restore the phone?
    webOS Doctor. Look around WebOS-Internals for the page on how to recover
    Yes, a webOS Doctor can pretty much recover it from anything. Pretty handy.

I've had a minor success with creating my own Doctor image using the Meta-Doctor instructions. I can now get access to apps in the pay catalog, but it isn't creating an HP webOS Account in the Accounts preference, so the Preference & Payment preferences in the app catalog are greyed out. Inching ever closer...

Still, it shouldn't have to be this complex...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Its here somewhere in the forums; but there was definitely a prior documented experience of starting with a 3.X profile and migrating backwards to 2.X.
    I recall that the poster had contacted palm support and was told that there was a database issue migrating backwards.

I have just spent 5 minutes searching and cannot find it at the moment.
    My issue had been a legacy profile created in 1.X; added TP 3.X; disabled the 1.X profile then tried to move to 2.X
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  11.    #11  
    I downloaded the WebOS doctor, turned the phone on holding the volume up. Got the USB symbol on the screen, connected the phone to the computer like 40 minutes ago and all I c is still the USB symbol on the screen.
    On the computer side I chose my location/language, confirmed but then... nothing. 40 minutes have gone. I read that if the battery level was low it would recharge first but 42 minutes now...
    did you wait until the doctor told you to plug in the phone?
    I'm curious where you might be? I am sooo close to purchasing a Pre3 on eBay, but I hear things like this and makes me not so sure. I would be restoring data from my Pre- and am here in the US and it would be through AT&T. Chances I'll have the same issues?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I'm curious where you might be? I am sooo close to purchasing a Pre3 on eBay, but I hear things like this and makes me not so sure. I would be restoring data from my Pre- and am here in the US and it would be through AT&T. Chances I'll have the same issues?
    I don't think you'll have a problem. The "Data Not Restored" problem seems to be more from people who are coming from a TouchPad as their only webOS device down to a webOS smartphone.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I had the exact same problem for the entire time i was using my UK Pre 3 in Denmark. Was in touch with HP WebOS support like a million times, but they did nothing to help me really. Though pretending to do so. After a month or so i gave up on it an started using the new profile. Then, for diffrent reasons, i bought an AT&T Pre 3 on Ebay, and had the guy i bought it from activate it with my account in the US, before shipping it... Problem solved! However, that is a bit of an expensive solution
    For the problem with the profile, I have seen people post that turning off backup on their TouchPad then logging in on the phone will fix the issue. Have seen multiple people say that. Sorry if it was already mentioned/attempted as I only skimmed the thread.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I finally think I have fully gotten around the "Data Not Restored" issue by creating a Meta-Doctor image bypassing First Use and activating initially over wifi. After that worked, deleted my Profile (using Impostah again), and First Use worked over cellular/3G/4G. This was a fairly long procedure mind you...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    For the problem with the profile, I have seen people post that turning off backup on their TouchPad then logging in on the phone will fix the issue. Have seen multiple people say that. Sorry if it was already mentioned/attempted as I only skimmed the thread.
    Unfortunately this did not work for me.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
  18.    #18  
    Hey guys,

After trying it 10 times I got it to work. The problem is that I heard so many times that "WebOS is crap", "it's a waste of time and money", "You're only gonna have problems" that you end up being infected to the point problems is all you expect.
    It worked and the phone is fine now. Still some minor problems like the sound disappeared and I had to make a call with the headset and then pull it off but overall it's been ok.
    Thank you for all the help.

/Julio
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I'm in Sweden.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you wait until the doctor told you to plug in the phone?
    Stupid me.
    I tried running it in a Linux machine, then VirtualBox, then I finally decided to install Windows on my laptop to solve this and voila...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast