Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I will have both and I want to switch sim cards between the 2 whenever I want. Any tips or tricks to make the daily conversion very easy? Should I set up a new palm profile for one of them for an easy transition? (I know I will lose my paid apps with a new profile)
    any help or guidance would be very helpful!
    I'm hoping to do the same... I am hoping to use a single profile.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  3. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I just ran into this situation myself.

I would definitely create a new profile. You can only have 1 profile active at a time so I thought I could just sign into one and then sign in to the other when I want to take that phone....nope. They clear everything, restart and restore your apps. All your custom stuff is gone.

It was a tough decision on which to ultimately keep my old profile. I ended up putting it on the Pre 3, but I do miss Classic which seems to only work on the Veer so I may go back.

I was going to try the Impostah route where you can keep the Veer from getting wiped, but with the rumor of a Veer OS update (and touch to share) I am holding off.

Kind of a rant more than an answer. So short answer make a new profile.
    Not like you can't rebuy those apps...or most of em anyway.

Funny, but I find myself liking the Veer more now that I have a Pre 3....It's just such a comfortable phone....who'd have thought?
    I would create a different profile for each phone. Changing the sim on the pre 3 is going to be a pain. I do not like how the back cover on the pre 3 is removed
  5.    #5  
    yeah I guess that's what I will have to do and go ahead and create 2 profiles. I dont mind taking off the back cover of the pre 3. All you do is pop it open a little bit then slide your finger nail around the edges. Pops right off.
    I am still open to any suggestions and thanks for the replies
    My situation is a little different. I have both an AT&T Pre 3, which is my daily phone, and an EU Pre 3. So, I figured that when I go to Europe, I could just take my EU version and it would sync back up with everything. Then when I come back, shut it off, and turn on the AT&T version and everything would be current. Is that not so?
    You actually don't have to create a new profile.

What I do is when I have loaded up all my apps on the first phone after signing in to my palm profile and set up is complete, I put this phone on airplane mode.

Remove the sim.

Put sim in second phone. Sign into palm profile load apps and set up.

Just make sure that you have airplane mode on in one phone before turning off the airplane mode in the other. Since you cannot have 2 phones on the same profile active.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  8.    #8  
    Thanks so much! But dont you need to pull the battery out to get the sim? I am new to gsm
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Thanks so much! But dont you need to pull the battery out to get the sim? I am new to gsm
    No need to remove battery with the veer. Probably just the pre3.

So just keep the pre3 off then when you are using the veer

10.    #10  
    Okay thanks!
    If i decide to have two different profiles... Do i have to sign into each profile every time I switch phones
    Just wondered why you have both ?
  12.    #12  
    Lol I have both because I really like Palm phones
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Okay thanks!
    If i decide to have two different profiles... Do i have to sign into each profile every time I switch phones
    If you have different profiles for each phone, you don't need to sign out from any profile.

the key here is that when you have the same profile for each phone, they should not be able to communicate to the HP/Palm servers either thru WiFi or data connection hence the airplane mode. So when you have different profiles, it doesn't matter.

the advantage of having the same profile is that you get to keep downloaded apps free or paid on different phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    You actually don't have to create a new profile.

What I do is when I have loaded up all my apps on the first phone after signing in to my palm profile and set up is complete, I put this phone on airplane mode.

Remove the sim.

Put sim in second phone. Sign into palm profile load apps and set up.

Just make sure that you have airplane mode on in one phone before turning off the airplane mode in the other. Since you cannot have 2 phones on the same profile active.

Wow I didn't think that would work. Figured once the servers knew to send the disconnect message to one phone it would still send whenever the phone got a connection again.

I have so few paid apps on the Veer I am thinking I will just make a new profile for it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15.    #15  
    that seems like the best solution. My only paid apps are the preware app and the google app. So it looks like 2 profiles for me. Thanks for everyone's Input!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I went the Impostah route on my veer. But the thing is that after using it a couple more times I had to do a Luna restar for something I did, and at that point it asked me to loggin to a profile. As if it were a new phone. So I decided to create a new profile after all since I did not use many paid apps on the Veer.

What was a surprise for me is that when I completed the loggin with new profile I notice that the veer did not loose any of my contacts, nor accounts and conversations. Even the patches it had and all the photos and ringtones are still there but with a new profile to sync in to. Don't know if this is normal or is it because of what Impostah does to the settings. Anyways Im happy with how int turned out
    thats nice to know. I am curious to how that happened as well.

the only explanation i can get from your experience is that, you actually didnt Erase your App data. So it is there in the veer, so it read whatever app data it has. It didnt download data from the new profile.

at least it turned out ok for you :-)
    eny2002 likes this.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I was guessing something like that because when I download it free apps that require a loggin (Spaz, FB, Foursquare) they all logged in automatically. As well as all the websites I was log in before. So I cant complaint
    Since the phone never got the signal from HP/Palm servers to wipe the device all data was retained, good to know, I might have to do something similar on mine to save me some time.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I switch between phones regularly. I don't use a second profile - I just used impostah to have my second phone connect to no profile.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast