Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Well, decisions, decisions. I have been trying to talk myself into a Pre 3, donated to WOSI, and yet the one thing I want my webOs phone to do it can't do: Download a podcast directly from my favorite show, Coast to Coast AM. I have tried the patch on the Veer and Pre- to download instead of stream. Tried advanced browser on my TouchPad, and nothing. Just won't download. Error message. Frustrating since my work Android phone does it any about any browser I have ever downloaded.
    That and the fact that AT&T isn't very strong outside of Omaha (I travel a lot in the rural areas.) and I didn't want to fork out 500 bucks for a Verizon model.
    Can anyone talk me down from the ledge? I am considering an iPhone 4s..something I thought I would never do, but the new iOS isn't too bad.
    Unless someone has a Verizon Pre3 they want to unload and I can figure out how to download directly the podcast I want. Problem is, I leave my house before the podcasts are posted from the night; otherwise I would just use DoubleTwist.
    Another thing, is it really that difficult to write a program for webOs that might allow me to access some of the online content I want??

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Born Pre? LOL, lucky for me at&t reception is strong around my area but if it wasn't that would be a tough decision, 500 dollars for a Verizon Pre 3 or go iphone 4S, nah, just not an apple person, never have been, never will be, I myself would just might have to wait to see what the Windows 8 is going to be like.
  3. #3  
    in terms of functionality and power. iphone 4 wins hands down.

    the appeal of the pre3 its purely based on aesthetics and ease of use. there isnt much the pre can do better than the iphone. and the one thing it can't do, is the one thing you need. downloading podcasts.

    none of this is a deal breaker for me. im in the market for a phone, which I can text easy on, has a visually appealing design aesthetic (I really dont like the way the iphone 4 looks, or any android kit for that matter). I like minimalism, organic forms and no buttons on the front. I don't really use apps. and webos covers most of the basic social/media apps I may need, plus a few games which I will rarely play. also, if you are going to get **** coverage. it may be better to just get an iphone.

    I'd put up with weak coverage, if I was paying 200-300 for a phone... but not 500+

    for the price of the Iphone 4s, you could get an Iphone 4 + a pre3 as a backup device.

    I don't know you, but Im pretty sure you, like most people wont even utilize the extra power the 4s has. and that gimmicky siri is being ported to iphone 4 anyway. there isn't anything that special about the 4s, over the 4. a better camera, so you can take better hipstermatic pics of your cats, or food or friends, an (innovative?? lol) AI feature, and some more power.


    anyways, my point is. if the only thing you need the pre to do, it doesnt do. get an iphone. but if you were getting an iphone, just stick with the iphone 4, and use the money you save to buy something nice for the wifey
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
    Well, decisions, decisions. I have been trying to talk myself into a Pre 3, donated to WOSI, and yet the one thing I want my webOs phone to do it can't do: Download a podcast directly from my favorite show, Coast to Coast AM. I have tried the patch on the Veer and Pre- to download instead of stream. Tried advanced browser on my TouchPad, and nothing. Just won't download. Error message. Frustrating since my work Android phone does it any about any browser I have ever downloaded.
    That and the fact that AT&T isn't very strong outside of Omaha (I travel a lot in the rural areas.) and I didn't want to fork out 500 bucks for a Verizon model.
    Can anyone talk me down from the ledge? I am considering an iPhone 4s..something I thought I would never do, but the new iOS isn't too bad.
    Unless someone has a Verizon Pre3 they want to unload and I can figure out how to download directly the podcast I want. Problem is, I leave my house before the podcasts are posted from the night; otherwise I would just use DoubleTwist.
    Another thing, is it really that difficult to write a program for webOs that might allow me to access some of the online content I want??

    Thanks!
    Have you tried any of the podcast programs? I have been using Dr Podder for a couple years now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ananimus likes this.
  5. #5  
    dr Podder FTW
    ananimus likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Good advice! And no wifey..lol. Probably get the 4 for now. ATT in Omaha proper is good, but not to justify extra 200 bucks for Pre 3 and iPhone 4. Unless someone can save me for the fire direct download...lol.
  7. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
    Download a podcast directly from my favorite show, Coast to Coast AM.
    HA! Sorry to be off topic, but in the mid to late 90's I worked a late schedule that had me going/leaving work at some late hours, and it was entertaining to sometimes catch Art Bell on Cost to Cost AM.

    I'll never forget the "West of" and "East of" the rockies lines he set up.

    It was pretty funny to listen to them talk about some weird stuff, and all the people who genuinely believed in it all.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  8. #8  
    I did delivery for Domino's most of this year and I enjoyed listening to his show on my later shifts. Sometimes the subjects were too out there for me but other times it was quite intriguing.
  9. #9  
    iphone 4s go for 300-400 unlocked now.
  10.    #10  
    Dr podder didnt work... I drive semi, and it beats local radio!
  11.    #11  
    The Coast to Coast app is iPhone only. I was hoping the iPhone webpage clone would help, but no go. Its such a weird codec...
  12. #12  
    can you post the url for us to try?
  13.    #14  
    Give that a shot! It will just blink and give an error triangle..
    Last edited by sir_osis_of_liver2002; 10/17/2011 at 07:55 PM.
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_osis_of_liver2002 View Post
    Give that a shot! It will just blink and give an error triangle..
    Just opened fine to a login page here in the UK

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
  15.    #16  
    I was wondering if it would do that. After you are logged in is where you have the problem. Its a paid subscription. I found an iPhone 4 for my strong carrier in the areas I drive. But saved enough; will get a Pre 3 in a few weeks.
    If anyone is a Coast Insider, and gets it figured out, let me know!
    Meanwhile, my Veer is now for sale!
  16.    #17  
    Update: Bought a used iPhone 4 updated to iOS 5, and downloaded the C2C app. Downloads the podcasts I wanted, but the app must be meant for iOS3...it doesn't play in the backround like everything else does...LOL. You can't win...but will still be buying a Pre 3 shortly. The iPhone 4 is better than the Droid X I had for quality, the OS is executed better. And if any Pre had a virtual keyboard like this one, you wouldn't care to have the physical one. But....the Pre's are still my favs!
  17. #18  
    where can I get a pre 3 from for sprint network? Because my htc evo 4g does not do texting threw the tp and only make or receive calls threw the tp like 1 or 2 times and no more?
  18.    #19  
    There are none I know of...
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmale1 View Post
    where can I get a pre 3 from for sprint network? Because my htc evo 4g does not do texting threw the tp and only make or receive calls threw the tp like 1 or 2 times and no more?
    As said above, Pre3 for Sprint does not exist...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Posting Permissions